cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire blowout reporting

Sdlineman
Explorer
Explorer
Inspired by Badeye's "vehicle breakdown" thread, I thought it would be informative if we could get anyone who has experienced a blowout to report it here. I'm curious if we could get enough reports to see a trend in factors like age, load vs. tire capacity, inflation, etc. Here's kind of what I'm thinking for a format, you can copy and paste it into your post to keep it all uniform, the more information the better, but keep it accurate if you can. Don't guess if you don't know, just leave it blank.

Vehicle size and weight:
Tire brand and model:
Tire age (date code), time on vehicle, miles:
Tire size, load range, rated capacity:
Tire pressure before blowout:
Max tire pressure on sidewall:
TPMS installed (yes or no):
Any warning from TPMS before failure:
Tire location on vehicle:
Ambient air temperature (approx):
Damaged caused by tire failure:
Other relevant information:

How does that sound? Let me know if you think we should alter any of it. I'll try to keep some type of list of any significant trends in this first post.
5 REPLIES 5

kahoona
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
This is a good idea. I think it might just tell us what not to do
with our maintenance so that we can avoid blowouts regardless of brand. Here is my info.
Coachmen 31' 15,700lbs gross
Goodyear G670
6Yrs,3mos (by code) Load F In service 6 yrs
Tire pressure 75psi (inflation table spec'd 70 for that weight)
About 30,000mi on them
Right rear outside
About 80f
No damage caused.
I had two blowouts two tires about one thousand miles apart. All information is the same for each. The second one was the spare which had replaced the first blown tire. It had just recently been rotated out of service a month earlier so it was not sitting unused.
Tires had always been kept up to pressure scrupulously and vehicle weighed occasionally. Temp checked several times per day on highway. They were not overheating when they blew. One had been stored with weight on it for six months, the other had not. Neither had been stored in sunlight. They blew out of the sidewall. There was no warning. Very nice polite blowouts. Just a bang and when I slowed and stopped to see if it was my tire there was a 6" hole with steel cord sticking out a little. They had been checked and pronounced good by the dealer 2 weeks before.
Kahoona

Just think of it as a boat except that it is the top that needs to be waterproof.

Sdlineman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks CG, and we have all heard stories and recommendations, but I would like to keep this to only reporting of tire failures to see what the statistics actually show. I guess whether there was a resulting accident or damage might be an important part of the report though.

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of creating a data base of blowouts or major tire failures on motor homes because a failure has dire consequences.
From what I have seen and heard, primarily on various web sites, motor home tires should be replaced between six and seven years of age as determined by DOT date. NOT date tires placed in service on vehicle.
I am of the opinion a steering stablizer is an absolute necessity for any large motor home because a front tire blowout will or can cause the vehicle to abruptly dart into oncoming traffic, to the left, OR veer off to the right off the roadway and perhaps into trees, buildings, etc. Remember the event in St George UT where the motor home had a blowout and ended up traveling quite a distance down off the freeway, thru open land and finally stopping in residential apartment garages?
A BLOWOUT ON A LARGE MOTOR HOME CAN HAVE SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES IF NOT PREPARED!!

Sdlineman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I meant to put the age in there also.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about adding the age of the tire or the DOT date code. I had several blowouts all on the inside RR dual after replacing one out of round tire.
40' Beaver 32,000 lbs... new to me
Goodyear G670 5 years old 275/70/22.5
Pressure 100/weight for that axle after 4 corner weighing
One blowout less than 30 minutes after checking pressure and temp.
One tread seperation
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...