Explorer
Explorer
53 REPLIES 53

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
When we can speculate why stopping took such a long time (could cable cut the hose for air brakes?), I would quote old pilots wisdom
"any landing is good landing if you can walk away from it"

I thought air brake systems applied brakes on air loss.

X2 throw that speculation out. A cut air line would have locked up the brakes.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If he still had brakes, I would guess that when he started to apply them he felt that he was losing some control so he just coasted to a stop.
With a flat left front tire, any application of the brakes might have pulled him to the left and further in to oncoming traffic.
He may also have been using the throttle to maintain some directional control.
At the end of the journey, it appears that he has crossed an overpass and I guess he felt he did not want to stay in the grass medium with that drop off approaching.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
rgatijnet1
I read the article that came with the original post and it said that ONE vehicle spun around trying to avoid the RV but it made no mention of hitting anyone. It did say that NO ONE was injured. There was a lot of traffic and he made it to the other side of an overpass without injuring anyone. I'll stick with my opinion that the RV driver did a great job considering the circumstances.

Its pretty obvious that the red truck was heavily damaged by the MH and looks like two others either clipped him or near misses
or the grey truck hit the red truck ?

Altho it may have seemed obvious to you that the red truck was heavily damaged, the people at the accident site didn't think so. Here is another article from a different news source that says again, that there was one vehicle, a red car, that spun trying to avoid the RV and that no one was injured. RV crash

could be very be.I just based my opinion on the what I thought was a damaged red truck that passed the MH on the left hand side and look at the grey truck and red truck and just kinda opined based on that
at the end it looks to me the grey and red truck either were hit by the MH or hit each other. could be wrong just what I think I see in the video.But there Definitely was more than one vehicle trying to evade the MH.Anyone know why it took the guy so long to stop?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
usersmanual wrote:
rgatijnet1
I read the article that came with the original post and it said that ONE vehicle spun around trying to avoid the RV but it made no mention of hitting anyone. It did say that NO ONE was injured. There was a lot of traffic and he made it to the other side of an overpass without injuring anyone. I'll stick with my opinion that the RV driver did a great job considering the circumstances.

Its pretty obvious that the red truck was heavily damaged by the MH and looks like two others either clipped him or near misses

Altho it may have seemed obvious to you that the red truck was heavily damaged, the people at the accident site didn't think so. Here is another article from a different news source that says again, that there was one vehicle, a red car, that spun trying to avoid the RV and that no one was injured. RV crash

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:
I wonder if he had a braking system for the toad? Glad nobody died, I bet he sells the whole setup now, this was a ruined vacation. I wonder if he puts treatment in his black Tank?

He doesn't need treatment in his black water tank, he needs it in his shorts after that ride.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
When we can speculate why stopping took such a long time (could cable cut the hose for air brakes?), I would quote old pilots wisdom

I thought air brake systems applied brakes on air loss.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Personally I think the driver did a great job at keeping the vehicle upright and not hitting anyone in the opposite direction. He may have had the vehicle in partial control, considering the cables barrier and the grass terrain so he just coasted to a stop rather than to upset the balance by applying the brakes. He may also have been applying some throttle to maintain what control he had over the vehicle. In any case, the final outcome was as good as anyone could have done given the circumstances.

Really? I think he hit a few and a few more scrambled for their life not to get hit head on.

If you watch the video in "stop action" segments, it appears that he initially lost control, THEN gained control at some point on the median, THEN when he saw the "obstacle" in front of him he THEN drove up onto the incoming traffic lane in order to go around the "obstacle". Only HE knows exactly what happened.
But, I agree, "all's well that ends well".
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Personally I think the driver did a great job at keeping the vehicle upright and not hitting anyone in the opposite direction. He may have had the vehicle in partial control, considering the cables barrier and the grass terrain so he just coasted to a stop rather than to upset the balance by applying the brakes. He may also have been applying some throttle to maintain what control he had over the vehicle. In any case, the final outcome was as good as anyone could have done given the circumstances.

Really? I think he hit a few and a few more scrambled for their life not to get hit head on.

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if he had a braking system for the toad? Glad nobody died, I bet he sells the whole setup now, this was a ruined vacation. I wonder if he puts treatment in his black Tank?
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
The left front of the vehicle obviously dropped a good 3 inches, PLUS the vehicle veered to the LEFT. Are we talking about the same event?

your right I rewatched full screen several times and its the left side

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The left front of the vehicle obviously dropped a good 3 inches, PLUS the vehicle veered to the LEFT. Are we talking about the same event?
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU