cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going back and forth with a tire store for the past 2 months, which is ridiculous in and of itself. I asked for tires that were no more than 6 or 7 months old. He essentially promised me that he'd get tires no older than 6 or 7 months old. The tires arrived and they are 1 year old, which is better than the 2 year old tires he was trying to sell me in the beginning. Is it impossible to get tires that are only 6 or 7 months old? Do I need to just accept the tires that are 1 to 2 years old when replacing all of my Rv tires ?? FYI, I have 22.5 inch tires.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
32 REPLIES 32

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:

HOWEVER, the company I used to work for had data that indicated that there was no difference between properly stored 3 year old tires and freshly made.

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stored". :h

The same way you know that some migrant worker did not take a whiz on the lettuce that's on your sandwich.

:B :W

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
find a new store. Or buy on line from a dealer that moves a lot of merchandise.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be in the same boat soon. I will need to replace my tires this year as the tag tires are dated late 2013, the others are early 2014.

Michelin is the only manufacturer of the 365/70R/22.5 that we have on the steer and tag axle, 315/80R/22.5 on the drive axle.

I will not accept nothing dated 6 months or older either and would prefer tires that are less than 3 months old. I'll wait even if the coach has to stay parked.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:

HOWEVER, the company I used to work for had data that indicated that there was no difference between properly stored 3 year old tires and freshly made.

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stores". :h

The same way you know that some migrant worker did not take a whiz on the lettuce that's on your sandwich.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stored". :h

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, it is a common BELIEF in the tire industry that properly stored tires are "new" until they are 6 years old. I say "belief" because I don't know of any studies that confirm this.

Also, the clock starts ticking when the tires are SOLD - and the date of manufacture is only used in the absence of a purchase date (no receipt!) Check the warranty for details.

Further, it is common for some tires to be produced only once a year. That means the tires sitting on the shelf could easily be over a yaer old and no one on the retail end of things is going to care.

So I think the OP is going to have some problems with the tire dealer - except for the fact that the dealer did agree to supply tires less than that - Poor salesmamship!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple solution....accept the tires and ask for a substantial discount to make up for the tires being older than you requested. That way he gets rid of the tires and you save money. Win-Win

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I asked the dealer for new tires and it took a couple of weeks but they were a few weeks old. I would not accept tires that were 1 year old.
Kevin

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
So you are willing to accept 6 or 7 months but 12 is too much? IMHO you are overthinking the problem. These tires spent those unacceptable 5 months stored inside, not exposed to sun, moisture, asphalt or road debris, and without 5-10 tons sitting on them while under-inflated and often parked in the same spot. I would put them on the coach and save the receipt so I knew when it was time to think about replacing them again.

Dave

Finally folks, Common sense rears it's ugly head LOL.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
So you are willing to accept 6 or 7 months but 12 is too much? IMHO you are overthinking the problem. These tires spent those unacceptable 5 months stored inside, not exposed to sun, moisture, asphalt or road debris, and without 5-10 tons sitting on them while under-inflated and often parked in the same spot. I would put them on the coach and save the receipt so I knew when it was time to think about replacing them again.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
I've been going back and forth with a tire store for the past 2 months. I asked for tires that were no more than 6 or 7 months old. The tires arrived and they are 1 year old, which is better than the 2 year old tires he was trying to sell me in the beginning. FYI, I have 22.5 inch tires.

I don't know how much you drive, but, . . . . you should be able to buy RV tires with a reasonable remaining retail shelf life. IMO, 6 months is reasonable retail turnaround. I would tell the "dealer" that you replace your tires every 5 years regardless of mileage due to safety concerns. (the dealer doesn't know how much you drive) If the dealer insists on selling you aging tires, say 2 years old for example, I would ask the dealer for a 2/5 or 40% discount because of their age considering the allowable life remaining. (3 years in time) If they won't cooperate/negotiate, or get you newer tires, . . . . hit the road, . . . . immediately. Find a dealer that actually "sells" RV/truck tires for a living, . . . everyday!

Chum lee

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I always ask my tire dealer for tires not older than 6 months, never been a problem getting them.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Just say no and move on. Your next trip check with tire shops for a better result.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Find a new tire dealer. Tell your current man you are moving along if he doesn't meets your needs.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
refuse to accept the tires.