cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Monitors

ForestRiverTeac
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably been discussed before, but is there a tire monitor that seems to be more popular than others?

Also, is there an air compressor that doesn't weigh a ton that we can haul along with us? We have 19.5" tires.

Thanks!
On the road and happy with Jed and Tilly, my four-legged camping buddies
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1
16 REPLIES 16

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:
The reason we're even thinking about a compressor was because when we stopped at America's Tire Co. on our way out of town to get the tires checked, we were told that they can't fill them because they're considered commercial-size tires and they're not equipped to deal with them. So we are now trying to figure out where to get our tires aierd up if we need to. We've has trailers for years, so this big-tire motorhome provides us with some new learning experiences.

Is it just that one company who won't deal with RVs, or are we going to have that problem with others?

Well, they were not telling you the truth, that's for sure. We adjust the pressure on our large diesel pusher tires ourselves without any problem and I am sure many others will tell you the same. You need one that will go to 150 psi and you are all set.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
ForestRiverTeach wrote:
The reason we're even thinking about a compressor was because when we stopped at America's Tire Co. on our way out of town to get the tires checked, we were told that they can't fill them because they're considered commercial-size tires and they're not equipped to deal with them. So we are now trying to figure out where to get our tires aierd up if we need to. We've has trailers for years, so this big-tire motorhome provides us with some new learning experiences.

Is it just that one company who won't deal with RVs, or are we going to have that problem with others?

I've never heard of such a thing - any one w/ a decent compressor / shop air should be able to air coach tires.

Carry your own hose & free yourself from excuse making, over charging shops !

Once you install the TST system you'll be pleasantly surprised at how little you screw around w/ checking the tire pressure.....no more gauges or futzing around / dragging hoses or compressors out...just to CHECK the tires, only to discover you don't need any air anyway !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

ForestRiverTeac
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
heres a couple of good videos to show how to use the coach / engine air compressor to top off tires -

How To Inflate your Tires using the Coach Engine Air - VIDEO

Video Update/Part 2
Don R.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a TMPS, but I do see that the TST is the most popular unit out there.

Unless you have other uses for an air compressor, you may want to rethink carrying one. I've carried this one, Porter Cable for over 10 years and have only used it once on the road, on our last trip. Someone parked next to us had a flat. Other than that, I've only used it at home to fill/check my tires every four months.

You shouldn't be needing to add air on a trip unless it's a trip of several months. So don't buy something that's overkill if you decide to carry one. The Porter Cable above will add about 1 psi every 13 seconds to a 22.5 tire and will go to 125 psi.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
the nice thing about a co2 bottle is the higher pressure - with an adjustable 175 psi regulator (about 60 bucks) you can TOP OFF or fill a 22.5 inch coach tire fast...and you don't have to run a buzzy compressor or the coach engine/compressor.

they also make fixed pressure (no gauge) 150 psi regulators for a little less $.
I used to carry a 5 lb bottle - but decided to up the game a little to a 10 lb.

building your own bottle & regulator is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than purchasing one of those pre-fab'd PowerTank or Smitty Built systems ($250-$400+) and they perform exactly the same. tank refills or exchanges are about 10 bucks tops (something you cant do w/ the PowerTank or Smitty).

Don R.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me, the Tire Safequard TPMS has worked very well.

As for a compressor, I carry a Vair portable and keep in the the Jeep. Never say the value in a larger one since it's only used once, maybe or twice a year and this way it's available if needed by the Jeep.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine direct (before Camping World offered it) - TST customer service is fantastic, I had a set up question & they walked me thru it on the phone (could have told me to read the manual & hung up, but they didnt).

Don R.

ForestRiverTeac
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World has a TST on sale. I'll check Amazon, too.

Thanks for your help!
2015 Thor A.C.E. 30.1

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW TST offers several different sensors - units w/ 5 year battery, flow thru & in-tire type, as well as the user replaceable type.
Don R.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I use the TST here is a video of how it works and setup.
Video
This is a great thread and the owner monitors it and helps with questions and problems.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Tire Minder TPMS for several years and have been very happy with it. When I purchased a new toad with aluminum valve stems, they were very helpful in upgrading my transmitters to aluminum. In addition, they provide free batteries for the transmitters for 5 years.

Ed Headington

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I run the TST system & love it. I use the thread on sensors w/ the user change-able batteries (batteries last about 18 months) - I buy the batteries 10 at a time and get them for about 35 cents each (off the internet/amazon).

IMO monitoring pressure alone is not enough - TST monitors Temperature too.

Air Compressor - Since the coach has a compressor, i carry a hose & fittings. I also carry a 10 lb Co2 bottle (higher pressure & completely portable (no power needed), great for off-roading in the jeep too...the fact of the matter is i rarely use or need the c02 tank or the coach compressor/air-line.

Once you have a TPMS system you'll rarely have to mess with the tire pressure, no need to check the pressure before or during a trip - just turn the monitor on.
Don R.

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Kobalt Air Compressor

This is what I have and it does a great job for me. Fits perfectly in the front bin just behind the front tire.

That's where I keep mine.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow