cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire pressures

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling with your RV your maximum tire pressures are 110 when it reaches 110 is the general rule of thumb to stop and lower the pressure back to the starting point of 90 to 95 psi? I just bought a brand new set of coopers for my motorhome and this is what I’ve been doing with tires before and just making sure that I am doing the right thing.
2013 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Rick and Susan
23 REPLIES 23

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
First thing I would question is running max tire pressure on MH.
I would weigh the rig, get the tire inflation chart from tire manufacturer, inflate to around five pounds more than shown on chart.
I would lay odds that pressure would be lower than max pressure on sidewall.
I would not adjust tire pressure once proper inflation is achieved.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
RB414921 wrote:
Just saying that’s what I’ve been doing with the original tires and they lasted nine years before we saw any little crack starting to form that’s why I bought the new tires so it seems like whatever I’ve been doing seems to be working any comments on that.

I not want to sound negative but it appears you came in and asked a very good question but don't like the answers. The tire pressure stamped on the side of the tires is the COLD tire maximum rating. If you choose to inflate to max pressure when the tires are cold then you do not need to adjust the pressure down while or after driving. Yes, the pressure will be higher but that's what the tire manufacturer expects and why the pressure rating is there. The following morning the pressure will have dropped back to the cold pressure and you will be good to go the next day.
If you lower the pressure to the cold rating while the tire is hot the next day, after the tire cools, your tire pressure will be too low and you would need to reinflate before leaving.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time you may need to adjust tire pressures within the same day is if you experience a SEVERE change in temperature - downwards (colder). And severe means more than 30°.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I confess I don't know much about RV tires. But on my truck I would gauge the tires once a week. If I had to adjust 1, that tire got more attention. Before I pull out every day I would hit each with a hammer. If 1 bounced less, sounded of felt different, grab the gauge. Every stop, first thing after I got out was touch each tire and hub. If 1 was hotter than others, grab the gauge.
Pushing the valve core in on a warm tire is IMHO, a bad idea. All pressure specifications list the value cold so checking after you have been driving gives you no meaningful info. Plus there is a chance the core will not seal.
As the tire heats up, the pressure will go up. But that increase is figured in when people a whole lot smarter than I write the specs. When the tire cools, pressure will drop back to where it started.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
RB414921 wrote:
any comments on that.

Yes...........You do not have to "readjust" your tire pressures every day unless you feel the need to over complicate things. Do you do that to your other vehicles?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
Just saying that’s what I’ve been doing with the original tires and they lasted nine years before we saw any little crack starting to form that’s why I bought the new tires so it seems like whatever I’ve been doing seems to be working any comments on that.
Rick and Susan

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
RB414921 wrote:
While driving I’ve never seen the tire pressures go down and when I pull into an RV park and set up for the night the next morning I always readjust the tire pressures back to 90 to 95 I understand what you’re saying about cool down but they normally don’t cool down while I’m driving. This is why I’m asking. Just want to know what everybody else is doing.

You do not have to "readjust" your tire pressures every day unless you feel the need to over complicate things. Do you do that to your other vehicles?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

RB414921
Explorer
Explorer
While driving I’ve never seen the tire pressures go down and when I pull into an RV park and set up for the night the next morning I always readjust the tire pressures back to 90 to 95 I understand what you’re saying about cool down but they normally don’t cool down while I’m driving. This is why I’m asking. Just want to know what everybody else is doing.
Rick and Susan

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
No . . . .Because when the tire cools off it will be low on pressure
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie