cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Trade-in Value

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gotten a "trade-in value" for their tires? Here is the situation.

I have 6 Michelin XRV 225/70R19.5 tires on our RV with about 25,000 miles. Date code is 4904 - so they will have their 10th birthday in a few months.

They maintain their inflation exceptionally well (add air every 3 YEARS or so - probably due to air lost when I read tire pressure frequently), they are stored inside a steel building resting on concrete, and they have not suffered any injury that I know about.

Every summer I have them inspected by a Michelin dealer. Each time he has said they are in great shape - no need to replace them. I was told that again this year.

I contacted the Michelin factory representative. He recommended replacing due to aging (10 years). He said the tires can look fine, but at this age they can rapidly deteriorate over the course of a few hundred miles.

My Michelin dealer is ordering the tires for me (FMCA Advantage program). Should I seek any value from these great tires on trade for the new tires? Is there a market for these used tires at all?

Thanks for your advice!
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....
34 REPLIES 34

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
I can't see any real danger in mounting "used" but serviceable tires that come off a M/H on some low-speed, light weight vehicle like a farm trailer or such. It's one thing to take 10 year old tires off a 20,000 pound M/H and put them right back on another 20,000 pound vehicle, but something entirely different to put them on a farm wagon hauling kids around the pumpkin patch or something at 4 mph...
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
BobGed wrote:
If your dealer doesn't offer you anything for them, put them on Craigslist. There are OTR drivers that are always looking for trailer tires.
I'm a retired OTR Trucker and in my 44-1/4 years I never drove with a tire on a truck or trailer with 19 inch rims.

Yeah, I missed that little detail didn't I? :S I read the post but my brain, or lack thereof, registered my tire size.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Scars
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my old ones on Craigslist for $200 (for all six) to a guy that was gonna update his really old ones on his motorhome. So I was making the road safer for the whole world 🙂
'03 Monaco Monarch SE 31'

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
theres no liability for a seller ! Someone buys a USED tire and THINKS theres no risk associated with it is stupid - they could have EASILY gone and bought new....no one forced them to buy used and its not the sellers responsibility to CONTROL what a buyer does with it....for all the seller knows the buyer could have been making a SWING out of the used tire !

FWIW i got 50 bucks each for some 7yr old steer tires. Who knows what the tire shop did with them, i didn't ask, because i didn't care !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
There's a big hubbub about used tires in IN. Seems a used front steer tire on a 350 blew and the truck crossed the median killing a family in a minivan. Selling them on Craigslist could leave you with a liability in some states.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
No market for them here. I trade mine off to a neighbor in return for some gravel from his stock pile...etc..etc. He uses then on the FRONT of his dump trucks because its all.."11.00-22.5" on the rears
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
A little off topic but food for thought. Old-Biscuit said something like if it's unsafe for you it's unsafe for others. We, RVers, should always err on the side of caution and safety like the USCG.

The CG sets a useful life on all the vessels they buy. When their vessels reach that age limit they are "DESTROYED". They are responsible for safety on navigable waters and how could they sell unsafe(in their opinion) vessels. We are responsible for our own, our family's nd for the safety of others on the road. It seems to be a well accepted fact that after and RV tire is on the road for 5 to 7 years, it has used all of it's nine lives.

I applaud the idea of selling them and keeping the cost down, but ...
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
When I replaced my 19.5s I kept them and when I had my wood guy delivering wood I noticed his tires were bald. We traded two cords of wood for the tires. I think we both made out.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
In May of 2013 I bought eight new 295/80R/22.5 tires through the FMCA Michelin program. My old tire date codes were 2006-4206 so they were 7 yrs. old.

Pete's tire service gave me $50 each for them. I was happy.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Farmers and ranchers will gladly buy them for use on trailers, as will the OTR drivers that use that size on their trailers, like car haulers and moving vans. I have seen 19.5 tires go for up to $50 apiece, so list them on craigslist, if your dealer will not give you any trade.

Some RVers have more money than sense and cut their tires up, but I like to reduce my operating cost as much as possible, so I sell mine.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
All size tires can be recapped. Here is a link to one shop that sells recapped 19.5" tires. There are others. For those that put very few miles on their coaches, this may be the answer for cost savings. Wright Tires

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Put them on Craigslist, they are most definitely worth a couple of hundred dollars to someone. I sold my old Good Year's to a local contractor who uses them on his two dump trucks...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I had all 6 of my Michelin RV Tires replaced last Fall they were 10 years old and the Michelin Dealer put all 6 of them in the scrap bin!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
If your dealer doesn't offer you anything for them, put them on Craigslist. There are OTR drivers that are always looking for trailer tires.
I'm a retired OTR Trucker and in my 44-1/4 years I never drove with a tire on a truck or trailer with 19 inch rims.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
List them on Craig's List. Some contractor will buy them for a truck or trailer he only uses a couple times a year. He's not interested in spending $4K on tires that will only be used for a few hundred miles per year. To him they're probably good for ten more years.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.