cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire wear

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
I am having some excess tire wear on the front tires of my tow car which is a jeep. My tire guy blames the fact that it is being towed. Have others had this?
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it
16 REPLIES 16

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
kd7cxg-2 wrote:
My previous TOAD was a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The tires had over 65K ODO miles plus approx 20K tow miles when I replaced them. Tow equipment was all Roadmaster, base plates with Sterling towbar. The towbar was close to level. There was no abnormal wear on the tires. The tires were rotated at every oil change. The front end alignment was the same as it left the factory

Tom

With the tires rotated every oil change it would be difficult to tell if there was any unusual tire wear on just the front tires.

kd7cxg-2
Explorer
Explorer
My previous TOAD was a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The tires had over 65K ODO miles plus approx 20K tow miles when I replaced them. Tow equipment was all Roadmaster, base plates with Sterling towbar. The towbar was close to level. There was no abnormal wear on the tires. The tires were rotated at every oil change. The front end alignment was the same as it left the factory

Tom
2013 Itasca Sunstar 27N
Toad: 2010 Toyota Corolla
Good Sam Lifetime Member

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
mtrumpet wrote:

Then, would it be a correct assumption that the problem might be more prevelant when towing with a Gas coach which would typically have a lot more overhang behind the rear axle then a DP?

I have seen a lot of DP's with large overhangs. Even a DP with a tag axle will swing the rear end a lot which is why some will lift the tag axle to avoid scrubbing those tires during a tight turn.

That's true. I hadn't thought of that.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtrumpet wrote:

Then, would it be a correct assumption that the problem might be more prevelant when towing with a Gas coach which would typically have a lot more overhang behind the rear axle then a DP?

I have seen a lot of DP's with large overhangs. Even a DP with a tag axle will swing the rear end a lot which is why some will lift the tag axle to avoid scrubbing those tires during a tight turn.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I assume that you have had the front end alignment checked. If you have then the tire guy is probably right.
A lot depends on how well your toad tracks behind the coach and especially how it tracks during a tight turn. Some toads track fine and some tend to scrub the tires on a tight turn.
Remember when you make a tight turn the rear end of the coach is swinging out and causes the toad to do things a little different than just following in the tracks of your coach. This will increase front tire wear.
All you have to do is have someone do a tight turn with your coach while you watch what happens to your toad. You will see that it does not track right behind your coach but follows a different path.

Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume that you have had the front end alignment checked. If you have then the tire guy is probably right.
A lot depends on how well your toad tracks behind the coach and especially how it tracks during a tight turn. Some toads track fine and some tend to scrub the tires on a tight turn.
Remember when you make a tight turn the rear end of the coach is swinging out and causes the toad to do things a little different than just following in the tracks of your coach. This will increase front tire wear.
All you have to do is have someone do a tight turn with your coach while you watch what happens to your toad. You will see that it does not track right behind your coach but follows a different path.

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Blue Ox tow bar. Yes it is level on the 2007 Liberty Jeep.
Takes about 2-3 thousand towed miles
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
KCerling wrote:
I am having some excess tire wear on the front tires of my tow car which is a jeep. My tire guy blames the fact that it is being towed. Have others had this?

I've heard of it, but haven't experienced it.
Like said, what is your towing setup and equipment and are your tow bars level.
What Jeep and year? Is it equipped with a steering lock?
How many miles does it take to produce this noticeable wear?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok the people having tier problems, what tow bar set up are you using?
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Herewego
Explorer
Explorer
Used to tow a Jeep Liberty. An '04. The tire wear on that vehicle was horrible, towing or not, alignments, and pressures checked regularly. Baffling.
๐Ÿ˜›
2004 Coachmen Aurora on a FORD V-10 Chassis
2004 Jeep Liberty
Don't take your organs to Heaven. Heaven knows we need them here!

๐Ÿ˜›

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same set up we used on a wrangler for 3 years with no problem. When we bought the Liberty we noticed excess wear. We just got back from a 4500 mile trip and the wear is obvious. We had the wheels aligned and new tires before we started.
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
If you rotate your tires (per manufacturer's recommendation), the problem goes away. We do it every 5-8K miles and have no problems.

Rotating your tires wouldn't make the problem of excessive front tire wear go away. All that would do is mask the problem and spread it out over all your tires. I mean no disrespect, but this is like doing a burnout every time you leave the light, and rotating the tires daily and saying that burnouts don't wear down the rubber.

We're going to be towing soon and I'm curious too if front tire wear is normally a symptom of towing or just a bad towing setup?

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
If you rotate your tires (per manufacturer's recommendation), the problem goes away. We do it every 5-8K miles and have no problems.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. On a 2008 Jeep Liberty. Right front tire wore down on the outside of the tread. Left side showed no similar signs at all. I replaced the right front with the same make tire, moved the then unused spare to the left front. Had front end alignment checked and it was found to be within spec. Since then been watching closely for any unusual wear patterns and so far nothing has shown up. It's been about 8000 miles since then with about a thousand of that being towed.
The tires are Goodyear Wranglers. They are what came on it new.
jwmII