cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tires

Ronaldlee
Explorer
Explorer
Please give advice on tires for my motorhome 275 70 22.5 I know there are different brands which is best for the money.Thanks Ron
14 REPLIES 14

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
You may pay a little more but you will never be sorry you bought Michelin.
Shop around.

I just replaced my Michelins XZA3 with X Line Energy Z, but I've been plenty disappointed in Michelin before. The XZA3s that came off were severely cracked to the point I didn't want to run them any more after 7 years even though Michelin said they were fine. There are many suitable alternatives but you do have to alter tire size.

Also, Shop price before jumping in with FMCA discounts - Mine were cheaper retail than FMCA discounted, and once you bring up FMCA you are stuck with FMCA pricing per the agreements.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mikey52
Explorer
Explorer
I put Hankooks on my coach to replace my Goodyears and they have been great. I won't hesitate to buy another set.
2013 Discovery 40x
2016 GMC Canyon
2011 BMW R1200RT

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin's XRV tires gave a lot of problems. Michelin XZE & XZA series of truck tires give excellent service. I've had Michelin XPS 16" tires on my MH for 19 years and no cracks. Before I get beat up on the 7 year issue, I'm on my 3rd set.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Bruce_Brown
I'm not a Michelin fan. I'd buy just about any name brand first.

Just yesterday I had to change a tire on my daughters car - got a nail in a bad spot. While the nail wasn't a Michelin issue the sidewall cracking sure was.

Honestly, in my entire life I've owned exactly one set of Michelins I'd say gave us excellent service. I've had at least 10 sets I can think of that didn't.

We're currently riding on Bridgestones, 100% happy.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently put on a set of Sumitomo tires out the door for $300 each. So far they seem to drive better and ride better than the stock Goodyear tires. Online reviews from people that have had them longer than me are great, some of the best that I have ever seen.

map40
Explorer
Explorer
In the fleet we use Michelin in the class Cs, but not in the As. The As had sidewall cracking in all michelins after 4 years, and these are tires that are being used in average 20K miles per year, goibg out at least every 2 weeks, so there is no "lack of use" damage. They are way overpriced and they are not better.
We have used Toyo or Yokohama. They have worked great. In my Alfa I have goodyears in the drive axle and doublecoins (I think) in the steer (they came with the coach). They are in great shape and drive great.
Don't get wrapped around the Michelin talk. Look at the tires the truck drivers use, you will see that there are not too many of them in that group.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my Michelins with yep another set of Michelins
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I buy Michelins thru FMCA...best price for great tires....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
-1 for Michelin...overpriced and no where near the good tire they used to be. Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama (in alphabetic order) are all good options.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
People have started having trouble with premature dry rot on the Michelins in the last few years. Several have started buying Toyos and have been very satisfied with them. We purchased a couple of Continentals last year through the FMCA plan where they were almost 150/tire less expensive than Michelins and have been happy with them so far. I will replacing the four Michelins on the rear this spring and will most likely get Continentals again.

You don't normally wear out a motorhome tire out but replace them due to dry rot. I won't know how the Continentals do, dry rot wise, for a few years yet.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Agree on the Michelins....not all agree but there is a market for old mh tires with low mileage and in good shape. Local trucking companies love them.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
Shop around.

X2!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Shop around.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
It depends...........
On what kind of use your RV gets.

IF you put on a LOT of miles in a year or carry an unusually heavy load, then you probably shouldn't skimp trying to save a few pennies.
OTOH, if you just go a couple of thousand miles (or less) a year, check with some truck tire shops in your area.

Action Gator Tire sold me some "off brand" ones that seem to be holding up good with my light use.....at just a little over half the price of Michelin's.

If you don't drive it much, getting "premium" tires will likely just be a waste as they will "age" out (5 to 7 years) way before the tread is used up.

Sorry I don't remember the brand and the RV isn't where I can get to it easily.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"