cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To buy a dash camera or not

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
Last week we had a driver run a red light and make a right turn and hit the front right front of our MH. A person witnessed the accident and left their name and number. The other driver stated they had the green light however our witness stated their light was red. With out the witness it would have been their word against mine. I have been looking at dash cams and was wondering what you that have them recommend. I have been looking at the Security System dash cam for $290 its a little $$$ but it can playback using its own screen.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.
35 REPLIES 35

debaets
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a free Android app called Daily Roads. It has a ton of features you can use or turn off. It records on a loop and captures video based on deceleration of 3g.or by touching the screen if you want to capture something.
Steve & Jeri De Baets
Manhattan Beach, CA.
2004 Dolphin 5342
79 VW Convertible, Triple Black

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Could have been the mailboy in the mail room.

If it was the mailboy he was probably fired after he approved an $81K claim for the house.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

DeWat
Explorer
Explorer
Been running a dash cam for over a year, and LOVE it. My personal opinion of the Windshield Witness is that they don't want to be left out of the shopper's eye, so they just down dash cams with GPS since their's does not have it.

GPS is NOT a bad thing. I love saving memorable views when I'm out and about. Having the GPS makes finding something already recorded a breeze. That is because all of the cameras that I've seen that have GPS also impose your location on a map during playback, so finding a single spot on endless hours of video is very easy. Try traveling 3 or 4 hours on an interstate, then playback the video looking for a single event, such as, crossing a state line. The GPS is also needed to capture speed, and since most of us are not in a hurry when in our RVs, speed would not normally be a problem.

The model cam that I use gives you the option of displaying the speed stamped on the video prior to recording, and also saves an independent text file that can be used to show speed. This way, the video file alone can be surrendered, and the speed will not be shown, OR, the video file and matching text file can be surrendered, and wallah, the speed will show on the camera's PC software while the video is being replayed.

Now that I'm finished with my rant about a company that tries to turn people against GPS, here's the real reason for this post. There is a forum that is an extremely good resource when one wants to look at the different dash cams. They are to dash cams what this forum is to RVing. You can view them here:

http://dashcamtalk.com/
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
Been using this cheap unit for a couple of years now with no problem whatsoever. No need to spend big $ on something you're probably not ever going to need to rely on when something like this does the same thing.

Here

Been using this same camera for several years with good results. Plays back on my computer if necessary. Also has an IR capability for night recording. When the coach is parked the camera goes in the toad. As a reminder, anyone who goes onto a military reservation, be sure to remove it prior to the security checkpoint. Wasn't pretty cause I forgot lol.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
UsualSuspect wrote:
My insurance advised against one. He said if you have an accident and it is your fault the other party can ask for the footage and use it against you. I told him I would just remove the memory card and no worries. He said the problem with removing it, or just having it there without a card raises the question of what happened to the card and what do you have to hide. He said he has a claim that they are having issues with because the dash cam was mounted, but no memory card, and it is a he said/she said as both say the light was green. He said the camera not having a memory card is a bit suspicious and they will probably pay out on it. He also said if you have one, you need to make sure the responding Agency takes the memory card and places it into evidence. If you do not have the responding Agency take it, or if they refuse to, which is most likely the case unless there are major injuries or a fatality, you will have to prove the video was not tampered with or altered. He said he has had folks give them to him afterwards, but they do not use them since they cannot authenticate them as being unaltered. He did say if you are a commercial operator you get a discount for using them, but the camera's are insurer approved. For those reasons, I decided not to get one.

Klueck wrote:
As a former insurance claim adjuster, I would have loved to have had a video camera in some claims to determine fault. If my insured was at fault, I wanted to pay for the claimants damages and if my insured was not at fault, I would have loved to have had proof. Too many times it's he said, she said and each pays for their own when one party was actually at fault. If you screw up, take responsibility.

We have a camera on order. It cost about $60. It's a DVR 207. It had good reviews. It should arrive today. It is small and we'll use it between our MH and the toad.

When I look at the two above commments, it appears confusing. But when dissecting it a bit, I think I have to go with Klueck, as he is speaking with some authority on the subject, having done life work as a claims adjuster. With UsualSuspect, he contacted "someone" with his insurance company who said don't do it. Could have been the mailboy in the mail room.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we are not using our RV, it is always hooked to shore power which keeps all of my batteries charged. For this reason I keep the dash camera plugged in and so a continuous recording is being made of anything going on in front of the coach. If someone does something to the coach, the criminal may possibly be recorded. I figured I might as well use it since it costs nothing to keep it turned on.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dirtyharryo wrote:
The one dieharder recommended is as good as any. When you learn how to use the menu in it, it will do anything the more expensive ones will. I sell dash & spy cameras and this is the one that I use for myself. You can get one on ebay for 18.00 with shipping. Use a class 10 sd card in it. Any questions on how to do the menu pm me.

that one looks a lot like my $17.88 one. my $52 is much better and IMHO worth the extra 34 $. I had to spend $35 to get free shipping for my $17.88 one so got their cheap SD card.
bumpy

dirtyharryo
Explorer
Explorer
The one dieharder recommended is as good as any. When you learn how to use the menu in it, it will do anything the more expensive ones will. I sell dash & spy cameras and this is the one that I use for myself. You can get one on ebay for 18.00 with shipping. Use a class 10 sd card in it. Any questions on how to do the menu pm me.

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the average RVer could be very well served by having a dash camera. For those with a ticket rap sheet a mile long and tending to be accident prone perhaps it would be best not to have one. Or at least do a professional installation so it's very well hidden. Maybe investigate pin-hole cameras.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
BobGed wrote:
I have been using a dash camera in all of my vehicles for the past few years. I am about to replace the one in my Jeep with this one Mobius Dash Camera simply because it is so small. Be sure and watch the video.

Not a tech person but this camera fascinates me. I watched the complete video. From what I understand, at 1080, the camera uses 1.38 Gb for 10 minutes of recording. The largest SD micro card is 64Gb so that means you could record up to 8 hours (7.72), or a good full day's driving.

Did I understand the information correctly? Very cool camera.

It loop records and over writes the oldest file first. I believe the largest card the Mobius can use is a 32Gb. So on a long day's drive you would lose the early part of the day, but to me what's important is any accident that might occur.

I have a 64Gb card in the Windshield Witness I use in the coach and can get about a day and a half before it starts over writing/.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
As far as taking responsibility, while that sounds very noble, fault as defined by a good lawyer can be very subjective, especially if you took the path of the lessor of 2 evils. As in my case, when I went past the cop after he wiped out, I was still very close to his door. I'm sure he did not like that, but due to black ice, I did not want to make any sudden changes in direction, so I only drifted partially into the other lane to go around him. Had he opened a door right then, I would have hit it. I have no doubt it would be argued that I did not leave enough clearance when I went by, but to me, I chose the safest path. Very grey in a court of law. Sometimes things are not black and white, so instead it is dependent on which lawyer is better friends with the judge.
IRV2

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
I use my cell phone in a window mount. It works pretty well.

As for the debate about removing the SD etc if you are at fault:

How about we accept responsibility for our mistakes? That's what we have insurance for after all. I know I probably sound too preachy and lawyers add a whole other layer but really, accept responsibility if it turns out it was your fault.

That being said, I don't know how they would prove you were using your cell phone as a camera and not a GPS or anything else at that.

I agree.

As a former insurance claim adjuster, I would have loved to have had a video camera in some claims to determine fault. If my insured was at fault, I wanted to pay for the claimants damages and if my insured was not at fault, I would have loved to have had proof. Too many times it's he said, she said and each pays for their own when one party was actually at fault. If you screw up, take responsibility.

We have a camera on order. It cost about $60. It's a DVR 207. It had good reviews. It should arrive today. It is small and we'll use it between our MH and the toad.

overbrook
Explorer III
Explorer III
OhhWell wrote:

Is the GPS on that thing a coordinates only data log or are you saying that that little thing will do navigation?

The GPS is used to write a data file that when used with the software they provide, can show your route, speed, time, while playing the video back.

The GPS is also use to display your speed on the video. But it isn't usable for route planning.

The camera also has an accelerometer, which detects extreme g-forces, and in the event of an accident, will lock the preceding 15 minutes of video and prevent overwriting.

Bill
Coachhouse Platinum 232 XL

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Jeff wrote:
AFTER the other person had passed. Interesting logic approach but quite appropriate.

That is interesting considering in MI at least uninsured/unlicensed drivers and unregistered vehicles on the street aren't treated in the same manner anymore- if they hadn't broken the law the incident couldn't have occurred.

I ordered this a few days ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/370771045932?_trksid=m570.p2050601.l4769&_trkparms=ga1m%3DT45%26ga2m%3DT0%26ga3m%3DT3%26ga4m%3DT10 . I saw the same discussion on another forum, it was recommended by a couple of members. For less than $40 I figured it was a good way to check them out.