cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To sell or not to sell

hopehog
Explorer
Explorer
I have always wanted a Class C. When I found an 85 with low miles for an unbelievable $800, it gave me the option. I have since put an additional 1500 into it for tires and correcting water damage. If I can comfortably get 4300 for it, do I? I will turn it into a newer class C. FYI, while we have never camped in it to date, we are panning on it this summer. My young children have also helped me in restoring it. I would love to explore the pros and cons and value all opinions.:?
11 REPLIES 11

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Love the vintage campers. Got pictures of your 85?
We camp frequently in the Catskills and Adirondacks also.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
You're doing the smart thing, enjoy what you have and then in a few years get a newer one if you find a good deal. Insurance and licensing will be cheaper with the rig you now have than something newer. I'd rather have an older rig in great shape than a newer one that may have some problems, am still of the old school that "they don't build them like they used to anymore". Realize that isn't good thinking any more as some things are much better than they used to be such as engines, transmissions, etc. (but you pay dearly also).

hopehog
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic! Thanks everyone. Great posts eliciting everything from guilt to excitement! We are keeping it for now. I could probably flip it but if I get a few years out of it and get at least what I have into it, it is well worth it. We do alot of hiking in the Catskills and Adirondacks and this is the perfect basecamp!

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Old "restored" rigs can be a money pot for the buyer and don't generally sell for more than $5000 regardless of time, money and results of what you put into them. If your workmanship and amount new appliances, tires, brakes, cooling system, dash and roof AC, furnace, awning, etc., etc., and interior and exterior condition and appearance are exceptional you might get a few more dollars unless you get very lucky.

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
You are likely in the ballpark about the value - depending on the time of year and getting the right buyer. I would consider something like this a semi-liquid asset - it's almost like cash you can have fun with.

Take the youngsters camping and have some fun. The thing won't depreciate much more. And if it does - if you wait one year to sell it and have just 4 good camping trips - will the memories or the $4k be worth more to you?

But if you need the money, sell it, buy some thermarests and a tent and go have fun. It doesn't matter how you do it - just do it.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
trnfla wrote:
Keep it since you know everything that has been fixed or have to start all over again. At least keep it for one season.

What he said! I understand it's like you are playing with house money if you can turn your 85 into a 93 or whatever. But then that 93 will need a lot of hidden work. Enjoy your bargain that you've already achieved.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an 85 class B four years ago. Fixed it up and used it for three years and then sold it for a little more than I had into it. Not as easy to do with a C as there are a lot more older ones around. It took me six months to find the B and when I found it it was two states away.

Use your 85 for a year. Using it and seeing how much you actually use it and what you like/dislike and want in your next one will be worth it. After using the B for three summers my wife and I knew exactly what size and options we wanted and what we did not want in our next one. Made shopping for the next one much easier.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it since you know everything that has been fixed or have to start all over again. At least keep it for one season.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Heck yes, if someone is willing to pay that, sell it and don't think twice. 2,000 profit. How much time did you spend on it? Your time is certainly worth something. Free market. An item is worth whatever someone will pay. And if you apply your profit to a better unit, more power to you!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Take your 85 C and go camping. Your kids helped restore it, let them enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Make sure you enjoy RVing before you get a newer unit. The 85 will do everything a newer unit will do, have fun and enjoy what you have.
You can always trade it later. JMO

Enjoy your travels.

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
You need to look at the market that you plan to sell it in. look at your rv classifieds, or craigslist and note what simular class Cs are going for, is yours as nice or better. Alot of buyers look at year veras cost. There are a number of Cs listed for 4,000 to 5,000 that are in the 1990s range. In order for a 85 to get that money, it will need to be done in OEM finishes, and needs to be clean as it was the day it was new. Either way enjoy restoring it and enjoy camping in it.
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations