cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tools and Parts to carry on the road

shark14
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Winnebago View 3.0 L 6 cyl. Turbo Diesel. Before hitting the open roads, we would like to know what items we should carry with us. Spare parts, specialty tools, etc. Any advice would be helpful!!
17 REPLIES 17

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to most of the tools others have listed. I bring my temp gun, has come in handy several time to rule out high temperature.

Toot_Mc
Explorer
Explorer
sense my rig has a Ford chassis I will always carry plenty of "bailing wire" and a pair of players....!!!!!!!! and a chain to drag it some place.....!!!!!
Coach House 261 XL Platinum
2009 Lincoln MKX AWD
2005 Honda CRV AWD
Airforce1 towd Brake system
2011 VESPA GTV 300
US Navy 1954->62, EM-1, USS Boxer CVA-21, USS Essex CVA-9

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I also have an air compressor for boondocking as well as the tire plug kit and stuff to change a tire but we have never had to try. We have a few tools for the air compressor, an impact wrench and blower kit. I also have a really nice charger for getting the house batteries charged more quickly if needed that is kept under the dinette.
The tool box is a standard metal one with the tray and an assortment of stuff, sockets in both metric and standard as mentioned above, set of screwdrivers, measuring tape, vise grips, adjustable wrenches, and I have an electrical kit and some wire in there, a hammer, one of those orange plastic sledges, and more. We carry an 18 volt drill and bits and extra batteries and charger too.
I have a few extra plumbing parts. A couple of connectors, a scrap bit of pipe, a cap and some teflon tape. I have a bunch of little stuff, like velcro straps, twine, scissors, tape, 3m strips, etc. We have lent and given away a few things. We had a roll of nylon twine for folks who forgot their tent poles! Nice to have stuff for the neighbors if needed. That is what campers do.
The tool box rides under the dinette bench and it comes out more frequently than you would think.
Interestingly I have never carried belts filters etc. But I do have some oil and one of the darned bottles got a hole poked in it and leaked all over one of our outside compartments.
I have the Harbor Freight meter too and both regular and mini fuses. I had to buy mini's on the road. And that is another option. There is a reason RV'ers like Walmart.
The list actually goes on and on. What about the water stuff? I've added stuff I've needed when I didn't have it, Like a universal water connector (rubber boot on one end) and various hose parts. Also 120 volt electrical connectors of various types. 50 to 30 watt, 30 to 15, etc. I have a variety of plastic drawers and boxes in one overhead compartment for this stuff. One whole overhead compartment, and the manuals etc. are all in there too.
Yes, I have weighed us fully loaded and we are fine. Most of this stuff doesn't weigh that much!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dakzuki wrote:
Regarding multimeters, buy this one. It's inexpensive, has a large display and is accurate. I have three of them (One in RV, one at home, and one in my flight bag).
Here is another one even cheaper at Harbor Freight. Occasionally, they send out coupon where you get one free if you buy something from them. They are easy to use and as far as I know very accurate.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding multimeters, buy this one. It's inexpensive, has a large display and is accurate. I have three of them (One in RV, one at home, and one in my flight bag).
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to a typical tool kit, bailing wire, duct tape, electrical tape, crimping tool and wire connectors, a cheap digital voltmeter, set of fuses, mini-screwdriver set, CYA glue, epoxy glue, all of your prescription and over the counter meds, reading glasses, dog rabies shot records, pet meds,pet foods, cell phone(s)cameras, battery chargers for cell phones and cameras, binocs, good books, DVD's, rain ponchos. Surprising how many of these items come in handy. Oh, butane fire lighters, portable BBQ, charcoal, lighter fluid.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite tools are:
Cell phone
Money
Good Sam Recovery Card

Of course I do carry a full set of US and metric tools in case all else fails.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
AAA card.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some people worry about the extra weight affecting mileage by carrying full fresh water tanks; others seem unconcerned about hauling 100's of pounds of tools, parts and "I might need" items. Had an RVing uncle who carried more******in his RV than he'd collected at the home he lived in for over 40 years.

But depending on how handy one is (or isn't) the simplest toolkit might include:
DuckTape - for things that move which shouldn't
WD40 - for things that don't move but should
Cell phone - to call for help on everything else
Credit Card - to pay for the help when it arrives

BTW, my previous RV came with a spare tire but no jack or tire changing tools. When I asked the dealer about that, his response we "well most RVers end up calling for someone to change the tire for them'.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have did a lot of boat work in the years before the depression, and I got asked about this many times.

If you are not a skilled mechanic, there are still somethings that you should always have. Apart from the obvious of a credit card, the next most valuable thing is always the service documentation for at least the chassis, but everything in the coach would be good. Along with that, carry a complete set of wrenches, screwdrivers and other small tools. These are all things that you carry so that if you have trouble, a knowledgeable person that knows little of your coach and did not load up with tools can help you.

It is very easy to easy to overload on spares that may be of little use. filters that are not regularly serviced is also good, so forget the oil filter, but fuel filters can go bad with a single load of bad fuel. As for belts, go to the website of a store-front parts store and see if they list the base vehicle and have the belt(s) in stock, if they do, leave them there. If they don't, then order and carry the spares.

Rubber parts all age out just like tires. So, when the coach gets to be 7~10 years old, change out a lot of those that would be stoppers, but carry the removed parts as back-up.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry a bluetooth OBD II scanner (it's small) and works with our cell phone to have a tool for the computer.

Other than that, we often carry a spare serpentine belt, tire tools such as lug bar, and patches, and a couple cans of fix a flat.

Other than that I have a small kit of husky tools. It has "a little bit of everything" in it. It's small and folds up nice. Has a buch of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, a hammer, ruler, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Multi-Purpose-Tool-Set-123-Piece-008-170-HKY/202016572
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

T-Karma
Explorer
Explorer
Craftsman tool set with metric and standard sizes
Screw drivers and nut drivers
Leathermans
Gloves
DUCT TAPE
Volt meter
Fuses
OBDII reader

Also, check what common issues people have with your engine, get parts to match

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Check this thread for my checklist and the electrical spare/tool kit (2 posts on first page).

Check List and Electrical kit

We also have a 2008 View 24H.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

NowWhere2
Explorer
Explorer
spare fuses
electrical tape
zip ties
jumper cables
WD-40