Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tough Choice: Jayco Greyhawk 2015 vs. 2016

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gang,

Okay so I'm looking for some collective wisdom here. Briefly, I was going to buy a 2015 29MV, however when I got close to talking money it sold. In rolled a 2016 - with all the new bells and whistles. In my mind, the highlights were the 6 speed Torqshift on the 2016 E450 chassis and the fiberglass roof.

My test drive of the 2016 revealed a strong vibration around 60mph. Dealer sent the unit to Ford. Ford sent the driveshaft to a place that specializes in such things. Ford got the driveshaft back today - 2 of the three sections were NOT balanced at all. They are now though. So - you would think we're good to go right?

Nope - Ford put it all back together and the vibration is still there at the same mph. Now they are trying to see if its a angle issue or something else. Lots of people working on this unit now. On top of that, the other 2016 29MV on the dealer's lot exhibits the exact same problem at 60 mph.

I wonder what Jayco's chassis extender is doing?

SO - to make it murkier; the buyer for the 2015 bailed. The dealer has graciously allowed me to 'hold' both the 2015 and the 2016 pending whatever Ford finds.

Given all this - would you guys go w/ the 2015 and the TPO roof and 5 speed Torqshift? Also, the 2015 has Bigfoot Levelers, the 2016 has Equalizer. Or wait it out and see how the 2016 fares at Ford? Or would you even care at that point given all the work thats been done on the 2016 already?

FWIW, the DW likes the interior on the 2015 more. Price savings is around ~$1500. Added bonus, the 2015 has ~165 pounds more cargo capacity ringing in at 2089 pounds of OCCC.

Very confused - but I'm almost leaning towards the 2015 now. For all I know the 6 speed transmission in the 2016 changed the undercarriage geometry somehow. Who knows? Not sure about the roof though.

Help ?!
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
23 REPLIES 23

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
What do you have to have done? They told me to clean it once a year. And it is stored under cover (but not inside ). Obviously I have to inspect my seals, but I'm thrilled to have that one piece cap!
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations!

Jopopsy wrote:
...DW liked the interior of the unit more...

That, my friend, is the issue that trumps ALL others. With that quote, you made the right choice.

You'll see your warranty requires periodic inspections and re-sealings to prevent leaks. As the attorneys put it; "In this matter, fail not!" I believe Jayco improved their roofing installation design since ours. We have to have ours worked annually and it's not cheap. NOT doing it is way too expensive!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the 2015. Dealer sweetened the pot a bit for me, and DW liked the interior of the unit more.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
The new ratios in the 6 speed look great. Combine that with a taller rear end and the Ford Class C's should close the MPG gap with the Chevys. Plus the downshifting gripes should not be as plentiful because the RPMs will not go up as much as before.

Like on my Chevy, the 6 to 5 downshift at around 65 only takes the revs from 2000 to 2500 or so. Barely perceptible. I expect the new Ford to be like that.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

By the way as I understand it, the older 5-speed TorqShift transmission (introduced in 2005 in the E-Series) is actually 6 speeds. One of the 5 speeds has two different ratios for it that are selected only "internally" by the computer depending upon various parameters.

The 5R110 has two different 4th gear ratios available, but only one is used in any given condition. It uses an underdrive 4th when cold. There is never an occasion when it shifts through 6 speeds. So it's a 5 speed, not a 6 speed.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
In the F-series, Ford paired the 6R140 with taller rear end ratios, compared to what was offered with the 5R110. The lower 1st and slightly lower 2nd gear allow this, and the 5th gear is a better pulling overdrive compared to top gear in the 5R110. I haven't if there's a change on the rear axle ratio on the new E-series.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bryan, thanks for those ratios. I assume that those tranny ratio differences would be the same with the higher powered 3-valve V10 .... or did/does Ford install adjusted 5R110 and 6R140 ratios depending upon whether an F-Series (3-valve V10) or an E-Series (2-valve V10) was getting the transmission?

From an 5R110 versus 6R140 in a motorhome perspective, I notice that the differential ratio variation between an E350 and an E450 brings the 5R110 ratio in an older E450 very close to the changed ratios of an 6R140 transmission in either a newer E350 or a newer E450.

FWIW, I'm sure glad I went for the E450 way back when even though our 24 footer only needed an E350. The Koni FSD shocks I recently had installed in the rear have delivered the goods .... the sharp jolts from highway cracks and potholes have been partially defanged back in the rear in spite of the E450's leaf springs. That finally just about - after 9 years of owning the rig - gives us all the advantages of an overkill chassis without the ride compromising disadvantage.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

I wonder if the newer 6 speed TorqShifts don't merely make this 6th speed actually used all the time and also available manually by the driver via the gearshift?

The ratios are different, and all 6 gears are available for use. The two "4th" gears in the 5R110 were so close together it didn't make sense to make them both available at the same time. Also the 6R140 does have double overdrive. And generally better ratios all around.

6R140 Gear Ratios:
First - 3.97
Second - 2.32
Third - 1.52
Fourth - 1.15
Fifth - 0.86
Sixth - 0.67

5R110 Gear Ratios:
First - 3.11
Second - 2.22
Third - 1.55
Cold temp 4th - 1.10
Primary 4th - 1.00
Fifth - 0.71:1
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, that's what my dealer told me. 7 bad ones on the road, and they got 2 of them. They are none to happy about it too.

I DO believe the gearshift on the dash is different on the 2016 E450s. That's the thing that tipped me off that something might have changed.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jopopsy wrote:
I know because MORyde told them there are 6 more just like it.
That's the company that seems to do most of the chassis stretching. I was surprised to see that ours was another company.
Six more...? I wonder if some jigs slipped and they all got their stretch welded in crooked.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
I know because MORyde told them there are 6 more just like it.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you/they/anyone know that Ford didn't build it with a crooked frame? It probably has been known to happen .... no manufacturing process is perfect.

By the way as I understand it, the older 5-speed TorqShift transmission (introduced in 2005 in the E-Series) is actually 6 speeds. One of the 5 speeds has two different ratios for it that are selected only "internally" by the computer depending upon various parameters.

I wonder if the newer 6 speed TorqShifts don't merely make this 6th speed actually used all the time and also available manually by the driver via the gearshift?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - thanks Mich. I hit that link up as soon as things started to change.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky for link
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect