cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow dolly spare tire

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a used Demco Kar Kaddy and planning a 2000 mile round trip in the near future. What do the experienced tow dolly users recommend in terms of taking a spare tire with them.
Thank you
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX
11 REPLIES 11

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
Called Demco this morning and ordered the spare tire and carrier. Thanks again to all for your knowledge!
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
When I got the Demco Kar Kaddy SS I made sure to add the spare and carrier. Thanks to the Goodyear Marathon tire aging I have had three opportunities to use the spare. The Coachnet contract providers were prompt on all three occasions and had an exact replacement tire the one time it was needed. We were back on our way in 40 minutes of the call. The part number for the spare tire mount is RKSTM, the spare tire and rim is 5734. Donโ€™t leave home without it.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me, I would have both tires replaced along with the spare. Be sure they are 'rated' properly not just the size but the tire rating. What you would pay now would be double out on the road. Safe travels...

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes to a Spare. It may well be an odd combination of Tire and Rim and you don't want to be doing the match-up in an odd place at an inconvenient time.

Watch the Load Range of the Tire. It may be an automotive size but carry a higher load rating.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Richmcm wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. A spare is going to be added to the dolly.

A wise choice in my opinion. We had had a blowout on our dolly in Georgia. The tires were new with not many miles. You just never know and the price of the spare is not too much considering you will be on your way soon. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. A spare is going to be added to the dolly.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
All my vehicles have spare tires. I would take a spare for a dolly or anything I'm towing.
You usually need the spare at the most inconvenient time, ask Kalynzoo.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a blowout on my dolly, many many years ago. It was late afternoon on a Friday as we were heading out on vacation. The first 2 places I contacted didn't have that size. Thank goodness the third stop did, and stayed open for us. Nice little tire store near Frasier Park. They got me on the road, and I happily paid the bill and gave them enough extra for dinner with their family. For the many years after that where I continued to use the dolly I carried a dolly spare which I would throw in the back of the Towad each trip.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
How old are the present tires?
You may need new ones
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Find out the make of the Dolly and contact them , they can give you the info on the rim or a good tire shop can measure and get the bolt pattern size off the Dolly .
The Dolly manufacturer may tell you its a standard "chevy-ford-dodge" bolt pattern.
If that is the case , you can always then check with the local wrecking yards.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go to a tire store, not a wally world, and have them get you a rim and tire. Take the dolly, or one of the wheels, so they can see what you need.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB