Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow hall mode

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all,

I pulled the trigger on a Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 30T.

The previous owner drove it always in Tow Hall mode. Is this a wise decision??

I assume I should only use the tow mode when pulling my Jeep or my Harley trike trailer?

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
32 REPLIES 32

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We got over 25mpg in our mh..in Kansas with a 70mph, according to radio, tailwind. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Winnebago Aspect 26A on 2006 Ford chassis. I use Tow haul quite a lot. Like the control it gives in traffic and in mountains. I don't know if using it will impact longer term maintenance issues of engine or transmission. So far at about 60,000 miles everything is working great no failures or noticeable changes in engine/transmission performance.

On the 2006 Ford chassis the scangauge shows about 38mpg down hill at 4000 rpm with tow haul on. Going downhill without tow haul at 2500 rpm the scangauge shows over 45 mpg. So I assume on the older Fords the fuel is not shut off during downhill coasting.

Interestingly my Chevy Motorhome would show 99 mpg when going down a long hill. I think 99mpg was its way of showing no fuel flow during coasting.

I notice more of an impact on mileage with different fuel grades than with towhaul. Get a little over 9 mpg with 89 octane. However at 87 octane I seem to get closer to 7 mpg.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
I would like to think that any transmission put in a MH has programming specific for motorhomes and you could make a good case for not using it when lightly loaded, for a motorhome. So using tow/haul on a motorhome may come down to your personal preference on how the vehicle drives.

As down home experienced though, in some vehicles ABS does not override tow/haul engine braking so in slippery conditions you may want to be sure that tow/haul is disabled.

No, Ford has a one size fits all program. which is why there is a Tow/Haul button. as has been said, even in the F53 they make it for different uses. so it doesn`t get a different program for a specific use. which is why in a MH configuration it should always be on. otherwise its short shifting and not performing the way it should if it were off.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to think that any transmission put in a MH has programming specific for motorhomes and you could make a good case for not using it when lightly loaded, for a motorhome. So using tow/haul on a motorhome may come down to your personal preference on how the vehicle drives.

As down home experienced though, in some vehicles ABS does not override tow/haul engine braking so in slippery conditions you may want to be sure that tow/haul is disabled.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2005F350 dualie had tow haul mode switch. Empty coming down a wet hill, I put it in tow hall and the truck went sideways. They changed the programming after that. Drive it in tow haul from the start won't cause any problems.
Tow Haul effectively gave to other gears. I don't remember between which gears, when not in tow haul. Probably a lower first gear and lower gear between 2 and 3. In a diesel that was lot more engine breaking, plus it engaged the engine brake....the reason my truck went sideways when suddenly engaged.
I didn't read all the replies so my apologies if someone else gave the same info.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
If ford want you in tow mod all the time they would not have given you a choice. They would have made it so.

Ford used the transmission in many different chassis and load applications.

Not all applications are loaded at all times such as motorhomes which are permanently built on their chassis. Those houses with full appliances weigh tons. Motorhomes are always hauling their loads. If using a pickup or flat bed unloaded then Tow/Haul would not be recommended.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use tow haul mode all the time for two reasons. First, it prevents excessive braking, especially when headed down hill. Secondly, it helps to make the motorhome stop more quickly as you can press the brake pedal and force a downshift. From what I've read, the transmission can handle it. I just came back from traveling through a lot of the mountains in Pennsylvania and when downshifting, the RPMs usually stayed at 4K or less. Without using the tow haul mode, I think it would be very easy to overheat the brakes and damage them.

Years ago, I didn't really understand the importance of downshifting when towing a trailer with a Dodge dually (gas) and I ended up having smoking brakes and had to pull over to let them cool down. Obviously, it wasn't good for the brake pads.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
The other huge benefit to TH use on descents is that you are not burning a drop of fuel regardless of rpm. TH locks the the torque converter and shuts off the flow of fuel to the engine enhancing not only control but fuel efficiency as well.

:C

Tow/haul shuts off fuel flow? I've not heard that.

I may be misunderstanding.

I was referring to long descents, watch your real time mpg display when TH is engaged. Your mileage will pin at the max, 99 for most displays, as the engine is giving you lots of braking without burning any fuel. At the bottom of the grade when the engine braking ceases your real time mileage returns to reflect the fuel you are now burning.

I have been down hundreds of long 6 to 8 percent grades from 6 to 12 miles} in Tow Haul and virtually never had to touch the brakes. I set my speed as is appropriate for the road/weather conditions and my fuel consumption is zip.

IMHO: Pretty hard to come up with a legitimate reason not to use Tow haul.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel flow is shut down during Decel with the torque converter locked. This is what keeps the engine turning. Once the TC unlocks then minimal due flow is restored.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:

Most all modern engine/transmission systems will shut off the fuel flow when engine braking; there's no need to provide even idle fuel when gravitation is keeping the engine spinning. I'd be very much surprised if that function is enabled by tow/haul, although it's probably more likely to happen since tow/haul downshifts automatically with braking (under some conditions) to provide increased engine braking.

Similarly, while tow/haul most likely expands the conditions under which the torque converter locks, it's not as though it won't lock otherwise in most if not all of the various gears. Even the old 4R100 transmission in my class C, which predates the introduction of tow/hual mode, will lock the torque converter when cruising in second, third, and fourth (overdrive) gears. I don't know if it will lock it up in first gear or not; I don't spend much time cruising in first.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
The other huge benefit to TH use on descents is that you are not burning a drop of fuel regardless of rpm. TH locks the the torque converter and shuts off the flow of fuel to the engine enhancing not only control but fuel efficiency as well.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Love the tow haul mode. Didnโ€™t have it on our old MH. I used to worry about driving in the mountains but the tow mode makes it so easy. Iโ€™ve used it before in stop and go traffic also but after reading through these posts will probably start leaving it on all the time.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
If ford want you in tow mod all the time they would not have given you a choice. They would have made it so.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
My F53 has a WARNING sticker on the inside fuel door that says NO E85. Ford recommends 87 or higher. It runs perfect on 87 octane.

Yup, ours too. I use it most of the time in Tow/Haul mode, I'm at 19,000lbs minimum all the time, and 23K with the toad and the Harley.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP