cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing 2013 Honda CR-v

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
When towing a 2013 CR-V do I need to disconnect the battery? My last car had a charge line installed to keep the battery charged, but I forgot to tell them to do it this time. On the list to do when I get home in the spring unless Camping World can do it.
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True
27 REPLIES 27

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
PandS wrote:
Does anyone know if the wires for the circuit switch kit from Roadmaster are long enough to put the switch in the blank switch plate to the left of the steering wheel in a 2013 CRV?

Yes, the wires are long enough. I have mine installed in one of the left side blanks.

Quick tip...drill the blank hole using a small drill bit to get it centered, then a couple of larger bits to finish the hole. Total install take about 10 minutes. I've towed all day for 700 miles with no battery issues.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Timjet, OK, I'll ask. What is WAZE?

I've been behind in upgrading many times, this won't be the first. LOL!

I literally went from a flip phone to an iphone 6. The only reason is because I can connect to the new coach through my iphone and control most functions remotely.

Mark.

On edit: I 'binged' WAZE and saw that it is an APP that you would use for daily communication for morning commutes, etc. Not sure how handy that would be for touring.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
But the in car Nav system doesn't have WAZE -- yet.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
Nice looking Journey by the way!

We had a cut-off switch installed to cut off a fuse that controls the radio/navigation. I forgot to flip the switch once and the battery did go down. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

The installer put the switch behind a cover to the left of the steering column, looks almost factory.

With the key in the accessory position, I think the radio is active even if you don't have nav.

MM.
X-2, This is a correct post! And this is why I didn't order navigation when I bought my CRV new

I have to say that navigation has been a life-saver when we are in a strange area and need to locate certain businesses, restaurants, etc. I would not be without Navigation. It's also nice to see the 'map' when driving around to see which streets are coming up next even if nothing is programed into the Nav.

The installation of the cut-off switch was not a big deal.

The Navigation keeps previous trips in the memory which I've referred to many times in different cities that we returned to.

I know I could use my I-phone for Nav but the screen is bigger on the car's Nav.

MM.
Mr.Mark

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Nice looking Journey by the way!

We had a cut-off switch installed to cut off a fuse that controls the radio/navigation. I forgot to flip the switch once and the battery did go down. Otherwise, it works perfectly.

The installer put the switch behind a cover to the left of the steering column, looks almost factory.

With the key in the accessory position, I think the radio is active even if you don't have nav.

MM.
X-2, This is a correct post! And this is why I didn't order navigation when I bought my CRV new

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
howdy35 wrote:
.If you do not have a Nav system, you do not need a charge line.

This isn't true as I have learned the hard way after having a dead battery at the end of the day on more than one occasion. If you have any type of brake system - in my case I have the ready brake - when you apply the brakes the car's brake lights still come on. Despite that I have accessory brake lights from the MH independent of the car, the action of the brake pedal activates the car's own brake lights anyway. And since we usually travel the dreaded NOVA section of I-95, it's always miles of stop and go traffic. Eventually the brake lights coming on and off kill the battery. I don't have NAV.

Ahhhh, now I know why I don't have battery problems on my 2013 CRV.
LED tail lights, brake buddy, no nav system, no charge line, no problem.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

PandS
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if the wires for the circuit switch kit from Roadmaster are long enough to put the switch in the blank switch plate to the left of the steering wheel in a 2013 CRV?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
howdy35 wrote:

This isn't true as I have learned the hard way after having a dead battery at the end of the day on more than one occasion. If you have any type of brake system - in my case I have the ready brake - when you apply the brakes the car's brake lights still come on. Despite that I have accessory brake lights from the MH independent of the car, the action of the brake pedal activates the car's own brake lights anyway. And since we usually travel the dreaded NOVA section of I-95, it's always miles of stop and go traffic. Eventually the brake lights coming on and off kill the battery. I don't have NAV.
2013 ACE 29.2

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack_Pine wrote:
hottubkid wrote:
I thought the Honda weren't tow able from 2012? I wanted to buy a new one and the dealers tell me that they arn't tow able four down. Confused?

I heard the seam thing but thought it was 2013, you may be right though. Have to google it.
When Honda shifted to the constant velocity transmission for the CRV that ended the four down tow able capability with an automatic transmission.

Honda has a diesel manual transmission model for sale Europe. Wish they had a US version.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Pine wrote:
hottubkid wrote:
I thought the Honda weren't tow able from 2012? I wanted to buy a new one and the dealers tell me that they arn't tow able four down. Confused?

I heard the seam thing but thought it was 2013, you may be right though. Have to google it.

CR-V's all the way up to 2014 are towable..... staring in 2015 and beyond, they are not towable.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Jack_Pine
Explorer
Explorer
hottubkid wrote:

2004 F350 CC PSD 4*4
Keystone Hornet 2009 31RLDS
2001 Starcraft PU
Cabin in West Central Wisconsin

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

cire
Explorer
Explorer
Installing a circuit disconnect switch is not very difficult. A long explanation of doing this is on www.crvownersclub.com

Briefly: buy an "add a fuse" at an auto store. get a 7.5 amp fuse if the fuse size is different than the stock Honda fuse. Buy an on/off switch (see www.crvownersclub.com for a switch that fits in the blank space on the left side of steering wheel), put the parts together and in one hour you got a switch that kills your accessory circuit when towing. If you are all thumbs and don't want to mess with splicing in a switch, etc. You can buy a kit from Roadmaster for about $70. You will still have to mount Roadmasters toggle switch if you buy their kit or let it hang down under your dash. The price of DIY parts is about $18.

You will ask yourself after doing this: Why didn't I do this sooner.
Eric Perplies
full timing since 6/04 with best friend and wife: Suzie
1996 Bluebird Wanderlodge, 42'
towing a 14' Honda CRV

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime