cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 4 down

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, manual trans. Anyone out there tow this 4 down and if so any precautions? Obviously successfully?
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes
27 REPLIES 27

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of differences between a 28 year old Toyota truck and a new one. You use to be able to tow many things years ago not so much now. I had a 2012 Civic that could not be towed 4 down even in an emergency so I used a tow dolly. You know that person that talked to you on the phone has great deniability if something goes wrong. His name isn't on anything saying you can tow 4 down. Now I tow a 2014 CR-V 4 down much better,
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a manual trans Subaru Forester that I have towed 35,000 miles so far.
No problems with a 2 wheel drive manual- Just check to see that the transmission lube is filled to where it should be and you will be good to go.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
My "been there, done that" comment was directed towards the effort of looking for a Toyota to use as a toad. We pulled our 86 Toyota PU for a couple of years (4WD with man transfer case), and even pulled my Tundra one year by disconnecting the driveshaft at the rear end. We contemplated putting our Avalon on a dolly, but decided against it.

No disrespect to Remco, but I would never make a decision based upon the word of a salesman or person from the company. You need real world experienced people to guide you.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking been there done that was actually doing and making it happen. I did talk to someone a REMCO which gave me some great info and made a hell of a lot sense. So I'm going to go with that.
Thanks guys.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Triker33 wrote:
f Remco Industries no longer sells the Drive Shaft Coupling (Disconnect). .

gee, if they are as wonderful as folks here would claim, I wonder why remco dropped them? I believe they also dropped the one for front wheel drive vehicles.
bumpy

Remco sold that division due to lagging sales as I recall.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, ok, maybe a manual trans Yaris (that's just a toy, isn't it? :>).... I can't even find it on the Remco site and I can't find my motor home dinghy towing guide.

Anyway, in 2010 we were looking for a new toad, preferably a Toyota (had three of them at the time) and one that held more than two people. Our first choice was a Rav4 but found out it was not 4-down towable. So we set our sights on the Highlander...nope, not that either. Then the 4-Runner...nope, once again not that too.

Got to checking all available sources, and at that time, we couldn't find anything Toyota made that was towable. Didn't check the Yaris....way too small for us.

Checked on this and other forums and the consensus was that Toyota was not interested in the "toad" world.

We narrowed down all other choices to the CRV and the Terrain (lots of others in this category) and decided upon the Terrain. So far, after 55K miles, it was a good choice.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
No Toyota can be towed 4-down without modifications. Been there, done that.

There is a person here on rv.net who does tow his Tacoma 4-down but has a driveshaft disconnect that has been pretty much error free. However, have read several post of people who also have drive shaft disconnects but have had a LOT of problems. So be aware.

Good luck

Ron
I towed my Toyota Yaris manual transmission all 4 down for years with no problems (Washington State to Arizona)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
f Remco Industries no longer sells the Drive Shaft Coupling (Disconnect). .

gee, if they are as wonderful as folks here would claim, I wonder why remco dropped them? I believe they also dropped the one for front wheel drive vehicles.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
I owned a 2010 Toyota Yaris manual transmission and I towed it all 4 down for years. All I did was turn the ignition onto accessary to unlock the steering. I can't see any difference in towing any Toyota that has a manual transmission all 4 down!

sure go for it. I mean what could go wrong?
bumpy

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 2010 Toyota Yaris manual transmission and I towed it all 4 down for years. All I did was turn the ignition onto accessary to unlock the steering. I can't see any difference in towing any Toyota that has a manual transmission all 4 down!

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, could you give a little more details on been there done that?
Thanks,
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
No Toyota can be towed 4-down without modifications. Been there, done that.

There is a person here on rv.net who does tow his Tacoma 4-down but has a driveshaft disconnect that has been pretty much error free. However, have read several post of people who also have drive shaft disconnects but have had a LOT of problems. So be aware.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Toyota Tacoma, Regular Cab Base RWD L4 2.7L cyl 5-Speed Manual Manual
Notes

This vehicle may need a drive shaft coupling (disconnect) to be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Remco Industries no longer sells the Drive Shaft Coupling (Disconnect). If interested in a Drive Shaft Coupling, please contact Southwest Drivelines (http://www.swdriveline.com) or David at Drive Shaft King (800-442-6329).
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am