cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a 4x4 jeep for beginners

larryherrington
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Coachman Freelander 27GB with the Chevy engine. I have a 4x4 1996 Jeep I want to pull behind. Could I have suggestions on what type of equipment to buy. I have looked at several sites and they all sound good. I am 69 and need an easy hook up if possible.
Also I understand all towed vehicles must have auxiliary brakes. I would like suggestions on this also.
We are new to this and want to do it right the first time.
11 REPLIES 11

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Kia Soul behind my 32 footer and use a RVI 3 brake system. Am very pleased with it. It has built in wifi to a tablet that shows you the amount of braking in real time, and you can manually activate the braking from the tablet if you so choose. See their video on youtube.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
Check the weight of your Jeep verses the towing capacity of your Chevy coach. Mine is limited to 3500#. A lot jeeps exceed that.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
Check the weight of your Jeep verses the towing capacity of your Chevy coach. Mine is limited to 3500#. A lot jeeps exceed that.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not well known that there were no 1996 Wranglers. '95 was the last year of the square headlight YJ, and '97 the first year of coil spring suspension TJ.

So what Jeep model do you have?

I applaud you for trying to do it right the first time. I'll start by offering the following link to an article I wrote about the subject... Towing a Vehicle With an RV

Only you can determine how often and where you plan on towing your Jeep vehicle, but armed with that knowledge, picking the equipment that will work best for you is just some research away.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you'ld like more information...
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the NSA Ready Brute Elite setup. We tow a 2008 Jeep JK behind our MBS Sprinter and it is very easy to use. The wife and I did the installation of the Ready Brute and emergency breakaway system ourselves. We have the Blue Ox baseplate and the setup is great. Towed all over ID, Wy, Co and Mt last year and headed back out the end of this mont or another 4 - 5 week trip. Another big factor was cost - check the Ready Brute pricing on Amazon as we found the best price there.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

hindes
Explorer
Explorer
We use a blue ox towbar with our 2006 Jeep Wrangler and our Coachmen Class C. We went with SMI braking system. Easy to hook up and works great!

Jim

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Readybrake and fabricated bumper connection on aftermarket bumper. Wiring to taillights so all you need to do is plug and drive. Readybrake cable in center of bumper.

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep Cherokee behind our 32 ft Class C and Class A.
Used Sterling All-Terrain tow bars from Roadmaster. Lightweight but strong and super easy to use.
Hubby and I together could literally hook-up or unhook in less than 10 mins. I could do it myself in just a couple extra minutes.
We used the Roadmaster Invisibrake. Functioned perfectly. It does have to be wired and plugged into the MH but it also keeps the Jeep battery charged up when the lights are all on.
“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
2X the Ready Brute tow bar with Readybrake. Have one on a 98 Wrangler with Blue Ox tabs on the bumper. Easy installation. Drill a hole in the firewall and run the cable and sheath from the brake to the front. Takes a couple of minutes to hook up tow bar, safety cables, brakes and lights. The ready brake is mechanical and simple. No boxes or power source needed. There are several videos online on the Ready Brute. For lights, I use a set up of the magnetic lights that I can mount in the back of the Jeep.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
There is a member here...Off-Road...maybe drop him a private note? He knows his stuff and tows a Jeep behind his C.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer