cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing your toad

Mostovi
Explorer
Explorer
For those who bring their car, truck, jeep or whatever along, what is your preference of towing and why. Do you flat tow, use a tow dolly or put it on a trailer.

Planning to retire soon and looking for information from those of you who have experience in this kind of towing.

Thanks in advance for sharing your information.
44 REPLIES 44

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, center section of what in Australia would be called a “Rue guard”.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog,

Is that a tire on the front of your tow vehicle?

Nice set-up by the way!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:

I appreciate being able to backup even more with my longer rig. With only 2 tires on the ground it’s very easy and it lets me make 2 point ‘turns where you backup a little to complete the turn. Without being able to backup I’d have to bend over and go to Flying J and pay their ridiculous prices.

While I really like our “new” ride the extra 3’ has made a noticeable difference in the turning radius. First time getting fuel I ran over 2 curbs (have not done that in years) getting into the cheapest fuel station. Yes, I only saved $30 over going to Flying J and only $250+ on our recent 4500 mile trip by going a couple blocks further off the Interstate.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mowermech, I wouldn't prefer to tow an old vehicle just because of reliability and you are absolutely correct in the mechanical gauges. The used 1973 VW bus that I bought when I was 20 left me stranded too many times! LOL! 😛

A guy in my Prevost group wanted to 'remember of times gone by' and found a 1950 Ford coupe just like the one he and his wife first dated in. Although the car was in good shape, it was still a 1950 car with the technology from that era.

So, he found a company that turns old cars into new ones. The car looks original but it has a brand new chassis, new modern motor, new brakes, new suspension, etc. All the instrument cluster gauges were rebuilt and act as new. It is a cool conversion.

To the OP: One thing a person should consider is the ground clearance of a tow vehicle. As we are driving down the interstates and come across a 'gator' in the road, the coach can straddle it but the low toad may not. That's why we have always had a 'SUV' as they have a higher stance and less of a risk of something getting caught as the coach passes over an obstacle.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mr. Mac, miles don't add up on the toad if the ignition is off. We are on our third tow vehicle.

We've had an '07 and '13 AWD Honda CR-V's and now the MKX, miles don't add up.

Safe travels,
MM

However, if you tow an older vehicle that has a MECHANICAL speedometer/odometer, the miles towed WILL show.
A Volkswagen Beetle or Karmann-Ghia or Thing makes an excellent towed vehicle, but the miles will show up on the odometer!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Mac, miles don't add up on the toad if the ignition is off. We are on our third tow vehicle.

We've had an '07 and '13 AWD Honda CR-V's and now the MKX, miles don't add up.

Safe travels,
MM
Mr.Mark

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
Like Handy2sum, I tow with dolly, and back the MH over it on camp site, I also have Break Buddy and tow bars, but cost of base plate on a 5yr old car was costly, I now have a new 2017 ford and still use the dolly, can hook up in less than 15 min. I painted a stripe on the dolly plate to line up with the ft. tire So far this year I've towed my car some six K+ mi. and like that the miles don't add up on the "O D".
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

paulm
Explorer
Explorer
BJBear, just talked to the company they don't have anything for land rovers.

paulm
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
paulm wrote:
dang it, I have a land rover that cannot be towed 4 down. the rover is paid for and we love it. I just cannot imagine selling it and buying some lesser car to tow. We do a lot of off-road touring in the mountains of the west and the land rover is the best I have ever owned.
Rats.

The Land Rover is definitly one of the best off road vehicles. Have you looked into a driveshaft disconnect http://www.hitchsource.com/remco-drive-shaft-coupling-sku-p-30332.html?pn=8663058495&cn=Remco&ag=Rem.... Assuming of course, you can free wheel the front axle. You could also consider a transmission lube pump.

P.S. owning one of the “lesser vehicles”, I still get by on the trails! LOL 🙂 🙂

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We have flat towed for the past 20 or so years, tried dolly once and quickly back to 4 down. We tow a F-150 with axle disconnect. When flat towing, your toad will track in the same tire marks that the drive wheels of the MH.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
paulm wrote:
dang it, I have a land rover that cannot be towed 4 down. the rover is paid for and we love it. I just cannot imagine selling it and buying some lesser car to tow. We do a lot of off-road touring in the mountains of the west and the land rover is the best I have ever owned.
Rats.

The Land Rover is definitly one of the best off road vehicles. Have you looked into a driveshaft disconnect http://www.hitchsource.com/remco-drive-shaft-coupling-sku-p-30332.html?pn=8663058495&cn=Remco&ag=Rem.... Assuming of course, you can free wheel the front axle. You could also consider a transmission lube pump.

P.S. owning one of the “lesser vehicles”, I still get by on the trails! LOL 🙂 🙂
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
When deciding on a TOAD you have to know exactly how the transmission works and how it is lubricated. There is a world of difference for a transmission in whether the motor is turning it or the wheels are. There are some transmissions that get lubricated only when the engine is turning them. Standards are usually safe.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Towing with 4 down you get a nice added bonus also!
You can attached a car hauler to the back end of the toad for extra storage space. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

handy2sum
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
I try to get pull-thru campsites when possible, but if not, I drop the car at the check-in office and the DW drives it in. When I get to the campsite, I stop so that the dolly is at the end of the campsite. I unhook the dolly and move it to the very back of the site with tongue facing forward so that when I back the motorhome in, the overhang covers the tongue leaving only the wheels and ramps (about 4 feet) sticking out the back. When ready to leave, simply pull forward a bit, hook up the dolly, load up the car and head out. Not too bad.

Exactly what we do. Back over tongue of the dolly - takes minimal space or effort. Bought a new Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and then decided to try RV travel... Love the car so got a tow dolly and so far have not had any issues. After a few practice runs we got the loading/unloading procedure down and as noted by another person, takes about 15min to do either. If/when we get another car will consider something that can be flat towed by selection is getting slim vs what can be dolly towed.