cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transferring gas

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy's motor home was totaled (fire) but has a full tank of gas. What are some safe and easy ideas to transfer the gas to another MH?
11 REPLIES 11

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
The problem with syphoning is that your target must be lower than your supply. An electric fuel pump will allow you to go directly from one to the other without having to syphon into a gas can and then pour the can into you final MH, regardless of the height of each.

Doesn't have to be. Insert 2 hoses stuff rag in opening and use air compressor to apply the force. More force the higher it goes.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
harbor freight has a plastic transfer pump (no sparks) for less than $10.00 .

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with syphoning is that your target must be lower than your supply. An electric fuel pump will allow you to go directly from one to the other without having to syphon into a gas can and then pour the can into you final MH, regardless of the height of each.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Oklahoma Credit Card aka siphon hose

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
They also make inexpensive syphon pumps for fuel. Plastic. With one-way valves. Add some clear plastic pipe and a fuel filter between the two vehicles. Get the flow started with the hand pump, and then just let syphoning do it's job while you enjoy a nice beverage. No dangerous electric around causing sparks.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Simply purchase an inexpensive inline fuel pump at your local auto parts store. Run a line into the full tank, hooked up to input side of the pump, another line into your "target" tank, hooked up to the output side of the pump, and then apply 12v to the pump (a battery, a jump start pack, etc.).

Ditto
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Simply purchase an inexpensive inline fuel pump at your local auto parts store. Run a line into the full tank, hooked up to input side of the pump, another line into your "target" tank, hooked up to the output side of the pump, and then apply 12v to the pump (a battery, a jump start pack, etc.).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is not my problem.. But my solution may work.. My problem is putting gas into the motor home from a 5 Gallon Gas Container

I got some fuel line of the proper size from the local Marine Hardware and a Marine primer pump... I think you can figure out the rest

For your job you also need a quarter turn gasoline proof valve or a "Heamostat" type clamp enough to clamp off the discharge hose..

Use the pump to start the flow, when the 5 Gallon can is full clamp off and empty can into MH#2 Repeat

Option 2.. now this takes some knowledge

Most gasoline engines today the fuel pump is in the tank

You can cut and splice the fuel line between tank and engine, then apply 12volt to the pump and let it pump across.. NOTE I actually DO NOT recommend this as it is more dangerous.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have attached a hose after removing the schraeder valve on the fuel rail on fuel injected engines and jumped the relay. If these components haven't been damaged that may be an option. Obviously we are dealing with fuel and electricity so safety is important.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Siphon using 2 hoses. Put one hose in that goes to bottom of tank. put another hose in just a short distance from the entrance to tank. stuff a rag in the fill hole so no air can get out. blow on the short hose and it will force gas up into the other hose. depending on tank size may need to do this several times.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Can you pull them side by side and siphon it? Otherwise you will need some sort of transport tank
2013 ACE 29.2