cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission Overheated on my Ford E350 Chassis Shasta

Johnny_Dearborn
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend, I took a trip up to Mt Whitney with my 2001 Shasta E350 chassis. The road up starts at about 3,000 feet and tops out at 8,500 after just a few miles of road. The temps were about 90 degrees at the bottom and in the 80's at elevation. Once I got to the end of the road, my transmission started dumping fluid all over the roadway. My mechanic says that the transmission overheated once I stopped moving, forcing fluid out of the top.

I called AAA, but they said that they couldn't do anything for me since they couldn't get a truck up the hill to me. (WTF!?) So a few questions: Has this happened to anyone else? How can I prevent this in the future? Any recommendations for roadside assistance that won't leave me stranded in the mountains?

Thanks. John
---
I've been around the world, but no place compares to what I've got in my own 48 state backyard.
17 REPLIES 17

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If it puked fluid out the vent, sometimes it just means it was a little overfull, and no damage was done!

At this point, I'd do the sniff test first. If the fluid is still bright red, and doesn't smell burnt, I wouldn't do a thing. Definitely don't try to add back in what you think you lost.

Long term, I do recommend a Tru Cool Max replacement cooler for any heavy E-series.

Have you ever replaced your radiator? At this age, it's likely not very efficient anymore, and that could contribute to higher transmission temps.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If the transmission overheated, change the fluid NOW. Get a HD transmission cooler.
Nothing kills a transmission quicker than overheating.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
We're you on Old Priest Grade? If so, it's a real steep haul up and I have seen cars and trucks off to the side with overheating problems. HD transmission coolers really help. Good luck