cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission Programming

SmithRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I own a Winnebago Grand Tour Vectra 1997 With a 250 HP Cat Engine and a Freightliner chassis Model: WKM35WQ. I tow a Jeep Wranglar X Unlimited with a Blue Ox package. From many peoples reviews on my other topic it seems my Transmission is not programmed for towing it. So where can I go to get my transmission or something inside the engine to realize that it needs to adjust gears according to a jeep also. It's only programmed to move the RV not the jeep with it. I kinda figured this out because I went to Catapillar and they brought a computer out with wires in the dash and some going all the way back to the engine, and he made me drive and said everything checked out, and my transmission was fine but I also realized that it was doing fine when usually going up a grade is bad. So I left all good but then it happened again when towing my jeep and going up a grade my RV won't gear down my RPMS drop somewhat and then my speed will drop a huge amount usually from 70 to 40 but I fix this by manually dropping the gears from 5th or 6th down to the 4th or 3rd gear and then going up a hill is great I can go up a hill around 50 or 60 sometimes. But my question is, is my transmission failing ir does it need to be calibrated to tow a jeep?
11 REPLIES 11

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Toad or not, older vehicles had kick-down switch under gas pedal, newer do it electronically, but when you push the pedal to the floor at lower rpm, the transmission has to downshift.
Id it is not doing that, it needs service.
On vehicles having tow mode, most of the time it will prevent from going to overdrive and help with engine braking.
Did not hear about towing program affecting downshifting.

this is a 6 speed Allison diesel pusher trans he asking about not a gasser ford or GM style MH

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toad or not, older vehicles had kick-down switch under gas pedal, newer do it electronically, but when you push the pedal to the floor at lower rpm, the transmission has to downshift.
Id it is not doing that, it needs service.
On vehicles having tow mode, most of the time it will prevent from going to overdrive and help with engine braking.
Did not hear about towing program affecting downshifting.

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with users manual.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
SmithRV wrote:
Hello. I own a Winnebago Grand Tour Vectra 1997 With a 250 HP Cat Engine and a Freightliner chassis Model: WKM35WQ. I tow a Jeep Wranglar X Unlimited with a Blue Ox package. From many peoples reviews on my other topic it seems my Transmission is not programmed for towing it. So where can I go to get my transmission or something inside the engine to realize that it needs to adjust gears according to a jeep also. It's only programmed to move the RV not the jeep with it. I kinda figured this out because I went to Catapillar and they brought a computer out with wires in the dash and some going all the way back to the engine, and he made me drive and said everything checked out, and my transmission was fine but I also realized that it was doing fine when usually going up a grade is bad. So I left all good but then it happened again when towing my jeep and going up a grade my RV won't gear down my RPMS drop somewhat and then my speed will drop a huge amount usually from 70 to 40 but I fix this by manually dropping the gears from 5th or 6th down to the 4th or 3rd gear and then going up a hill is great I can go up a hill around 50 or 60 sometimes. But my question is, is my transmission failing ir does it need to be calibrated to tow a jeep?

your posts are confusing and hard to believe.You said in the last section your rpm @60MPH stayed at 2000 but then your speed dropped to 40MPH and it was till @2000 now your saying your RPM will drop somewhat when the speed drops I seriously can not see this little 250HP unit going up a hill towing in 4th gear at 60 MPH
I believe you are expecting more than what this overloaded underpowered unit will do.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
SmithRV wrote:
Ok and yes it is an Allison Trans.

An Allison certified shop will be able to tell you if the transmission is working properly or not. It sounds like the erratic operation may indicate a problem but they should have the equipment to give you a complete diagnosis. I had Brazel's RV reprogram my Allison transmission along with my ECM.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
So tell me at what RPM do you expect the transmission to downshift ans how fast do you expect to go up a 3 to 5% grade?

SmithRV wrote:
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes manually downshift mine.
No big deal. Works good.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
well this is a first. Are you sure some one isn't pulling your leg
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

SmithRV
Explorer
Explorer
Ok and yes it is an Allison Trans.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your transmission is an Allison, I would think most Allison certified shops could take care of it.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
SmithRV wrote:
But my question is, is my transmission failing ir does it need to be calibrated to tow a jeep?

In a word, NO. The calibration does not change with/without a toad.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/