Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling without a spare tire

WilBoud
Explorer
Explorer
Reaching out to those with experience.

We are in planning stages to take our Jayco Greyhawk 29MV Class C to Fairbanks (about 12,000 miles round trip) from south Louisiana in mid May through June.

In my planning, I suddenly realized the coach doesn't have a spare tire.

Has anyone here tackled such a drive without a spare......???

Where would someone carry a spare on a Class C coach ...???
45 REPLIES 45

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
hey u last 2 back the bus up lighten up
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
wbwood wrote:

go back past the 4 months you been here, say 10 years and read some of the stories that members have experienced. Also read about the ones getting dropped because they used the service too much...

How do you know that I haven't done that already ?? (You don't know.)

Because if you have gone back and ready every post for the last 10 years or so, then you would know....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

go back past the 4 months you been here, say 10 years and read some of the stories that members have experienced. Also read about the ones getting dropped because they used the service too much...

How do you know that I haven't done that already ?? (You don't know.)
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
wbwood wrote:

My understanding is that it will cost you about $150 with GSRA to have an uninflected spare mounted on the side of the road. They will not tow you for a flat tire.

What if you don't HAVE a spare with you, inflated or not ??

What if the truck they send does not have the equipment necessary to mount a truck tire ?? Or the ground is not stable enough to safely get to an inside dual, for instance ??

I think your understanding is WRONG, as evidenced by a lot of reports from members on here.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I carry a mounted and aired up spare in the basement storage area. Had to leave the complete set of metric tools at home to make room. I still have them and I've still never needed them. I do carry a metric hammer that a fast talking salesman sold me. 🙂

How else could you drive those metric nails we so frequently come across?
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Tinyandthegang
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider traveling without a spare the same as traveling without insurance or a fire extinguisher. You may never need them but they are sure nice to have when you do.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We took 2 class A's to Alaska, both mounted on a rim, didn't need them but felt it was good insurance. Have one on our lil C too.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a mounted and aired up spare in the basement storage area. Had to leave the complete set of metric tools at home to make room. I still have them and I've still never needed them. I do carry a metric hammer that a fast talking salesman sold me. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Logans wrote:
AAA RV towed us when we didn't have a spare (and, yes, it WAS a dark and stormy night)... now we have a mounted spare.

Hmmmm ... AAA would not change a flat on an inside dual on the rear of our small Class C motorhome while it sat right in our backyard here in CA.

For that ... after around 40 years of being a AAA ERS customer ... I dropped them and I switched to an ERS company that knows what an RV with duallies is. I hope the new company will authorize mounting of our spare if I ever need it. )
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
AAA RV towed us when we didn't have a spare (and, yes, it WAS a dark and stormy night)... now we have a mounted spare.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:

My understanding is that it will cost you about $150 with GSRA to have an uninflected spare mounted on the side of the road. They will not tow you for a flat tire.

What if you don't HAVE a spare with you, inflated or not ??

What if the truck they send does not have the equipment necessary to mount a truck tire ?? Or the ground is not stable enough to safely get to an inside dual, for instance ??

I think your understanding is WRONG, as evidenced by a lot of reports from members on here.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
darsben wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
j-d wrote:
I think road service can dismount/mount tires at the roadside.

What they CAN do means nothing.
What your contract says means EVERYTHING.

That is incorrect. You are responsible for the cost of parts and labor.
You may have to be towed but probably not.

It is NOT incorrect. You quoted, I assume, the contract you have.
I was talking about COVERED repairs. If I have to pay for it, it is not "covered".

AND....if my choices are: 1) Pay about twice what it would cost me in a shop or 2) Pay nothing for a tow to a shop......which do you think I would choose ???

If you don't mind being gouged with charges for roadside repairs, that's fine for YOU. Most people don't share that opinion.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
j-d wrote:
I think road service can dismount/mount tires at the roadside.

What they CAN do means nothing.
What your contract says means EVERYTHING.

That is incorrect. You are responsible for the cost of parts and labor.
You may have to be towed but probably not.

It is NOT incorrect. You quoted, I assume, the contract you have.
I was talking about COVERED repairs. If I have to pay for it, it is not "covered".

AND....if my choices are: 1) Pay about twice what it would cost me in a shop or 2) Pay nothing for a tow to a shop......which do you think I would choose ???

If you don't mind being gouged with charges for roadside repairs, that's fine for YOU. Most people don't share that opinion.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
Greydennyhawk wrote:
If you need one, I have a new Michelin on a new ford rim cheap!
I carried it in the back of my Greyhawk for 2 years
E mail me.

How much to be sent to Michigan?
I don't see a way to send you an e-mail.

Dusty

Make sure you ask how OLD THAT NEW SPARE IS. THE DOT date is what you need. That new spare may have been baking in the sun for 2 years or more
Traveling with my best friend my wife!