cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tray for eating?

shayerk
Explorer
Explorer
My husband likes to eat while he is driving, and our center console is too far away from the driver's seat and too small to conveniently hold dinner.

Does anyone know of any type of tray that would attach to the driver door, or steering wheel (which doesn't sound very safe!) or extend from the floor to make eating while driving more convenient?

And yes, I do tell him that it would be more civilized if we stopped and enjoyed a leisurely meal at a rest stop...to no avail!
Craig and Karen Shayer
32' Winnebago Adventurer
34 REPLIES 34

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Just wanted to post an actual answer just in case she changed her mind. More thread policing I guess.
Whew.. glad I just asked a simple question.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Usermanual has commented on several different posts without adding anything to the subject. He seems to enjoy picking fights and reading his own posts.
Thread police.
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I would be surprised if we ever hear back from the OP after all the unnecessary bashing.
Did you miss her 2nd post?

Just wanted to post an actual answer just in case she changed her mind. More thread policing I guess.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Usermanual has commented on several different posts without adding anything to the subject. He seems to enjoy picking fights and reading his own posts.
Thread police.
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I would be surprised if we ever hear back from the OP after all the unnecessary bashing.
Did you miss her 2nd post?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Lantley wrote:
This forum reflects the state of our world. While there should be some civility it is an open forum. Every post does not have to agree with yours. If someone thinks eating and driving is a bad idea take it for what its worth but there is no need to be offended or outraged it's just someone else's comment on the subject.
Yes some feel perfectly comfortable and safe eating while driving and some would never try over safety concerns.
Yes every one does have different driving abilities and comfort levels. Nevertheless do we have to be offended if someone thinks differently or comments differently than us?
We really need to be a bit more thick skinned when using an open public forum.
Every post is not going to agree with yours....but that's OK. Some may recommend a shelf that will hold a plate someone else may say don't do it.
Both comments are OK. Take the good with the bad and move on no need to be offended or upset....

Considering that usermanual hasn't even bothered to answer the OP's question himself, I don't think he actually cares about the post, but rather is just looking to pick fights.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
This forum reflects the state of our world. While there should be some civility it is an open forum. Every post does not have to agree with yours. If someone thinks eating and driving is a bad idea take it for what its worth but there is no need to be offended or outraged it's just someone else's comment on the subject.
Yes some feel perfectly comfortable and safe eating while driving and some would never try over safety concerns.
Yes every one does have different driving abilities and comfort levels. Nevertheless do we have to be offended if someone thinks differently or comments differently than us?
Every post is not going to agree with yours....but that's OK. Some may recommend a shelf that will hold a plate someone else may say don't do it.
Both comments are OK. Take the good with the bad and move on no need to be offended or upset....

Considering that usermanual hasn't even bothered to answer the OP's question himself, I don't think he actually cares about the post, but rather is just looking to pick fights.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I am a member of a number of boards in a number of different pastimes. I doubt if anyone would be surprised if I said this behavior is almost universal. Bashing and half bake uninformed opinions seem to be the general standard. What ever happened to civility.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be surprised if we ever hear back from the OP after all the unnecessary bashing but just in case we do, Country Coach built in just such a tray in many of their coaches including their Prevost conversions.
If you follow this link you can go down 2 or 3 pictures and you will see the table sitting on the dash. It just swings over and sits beside the driver so he would have access to most anything think he likes.

http://www.bus-stuff.com/2003CountryCoachAffinity_Marathon223.html

I can't apologize for the community over the abuse you have taken here but I do want to send my personal apology. I don't understand why RVers treat other RVers the way they do.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
They make various trays and platforms that attach to or next to steering wheels. These are designed for computers to be used WHEN PARKED.
They also make cup holders that will mount on the wall next to a driver to hold a drink. Unless your husband has three hands, I would strongly suggest that he not even attempt to eat and drive an RV. All it should take is him viewing any one of the numerous videos that show what happens with a front wheel blowout.

They never asked for advice on what they eat;; when they eat;; or how they eat its none of your dahm business.they asked for ideals on serving trays to eat while driving;; why cant you just stick to the op question at hand.

AdequateRV
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone was surprised by the rough treatment the OP received they must be new here. I saw it coming before I clicked on the link. What can we bash our fellow RV'ers for next? Here are some suggestions:

1) Not wearing seat belts in the living area while in motion.
2) Sleeping in the bed while in motion.
3) camping at Wallyworld
4) Buying an expensive coach but being "thrifty" / complaining about gas prices / etc
5) Driving too fast
6) Using the bathroom while in motion
7) running the furnace while in motion
😎 running the furnace while fueling up

Discuss.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the boat table idea. Find one with an offset mount to expand the options.

I ate a burger and fries while towing just yesterday. Everybody here needs to stay off the Texas roads now. There are ppl here eating dinner while driving their rig.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Karen, please don;t let some of these people drive you off. Many of us very much enjoy being challenged to come up with new ideas, many new people do show up here and many of them seriously need to gather info as they have no initial point of reference. While I am not an OTR Professional I have spent a considerable amount of time driving, everything from motorcycles to my current 40 footer. I , like many others here have seen things while driving that boggle the imagination. Rad a book? Newspaper? Shave? TV? Computer? certain bedroom acts? Yup seen it all. So asking a question is a good thing. Many times, I think it is genetic, I ask a question jut to get a conversation started or to make sure that all options are understood. You never know when a conversation like this one will bring to light something we'd never have thought of on our own. One simply needs to ignore some of the more 'personal' responses. Not everyone had learned to discuss things in a polite manner.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
As another former OTR driver, there must be some really poor drivers on this site.
Whatever you choose to eat, be able to drop it when you have to do serious driving stuff. I am serious, the mind will try to protect the food as opposed to dropping it to do defensive driving to dodge the all to common maroons on the highways.
Eating while driving isn't a terrible sin. Not paying more attention to your driving than than your food is. To me, dinner is around noon, supper is in the evening when you should stop and eat.
Very well said!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
As another former OTR driver, there must be some really poor drivers on this site.
Whatever you choose to eat, be able to drop it when you have to do serious driving stuff. I am serious, the mind will try to protect the food as opposed to dropping it to do defensive driving to dodge the all to common maroons on the highways.
Eating while driving isn't a terrible sin. Not paying more attention to your driving than than your food is. To me, dinner is around noon, supper is in the evening when you should stop and eat.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L