cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimark door latch broke

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went to open the door to the MH it would not open. I had to climb in threw the passenger window. I removed the 3 screws holding the inside plate thinking I could then remove the whole assy but the door latch was holding it and the screen door frame was in the way so I could not move the latch back with a card or screwdriver. After several attempts of trying to slide the broken latch out with a pick I called Trimark for help but were of little help except to say I had to drill a series of holes in the inside plate to remove the broken latch and they were going to send me an Email showing were to drill the holes but I never got it from them. They also informed me that new latch was $180 and a latch kit with a steel latch was $280. The latch is made of zinc which is very weak. This latch was replaced about 5 years ago. A quick search shows that these Trimark latches are problematic so I was not going to order another on from them. What I ended up doing was to add a steel return flange on the broken end of the plunger and held in place with a flush rivet. I first tried to hold it with a screw but the zinc was too soft to hold a thread. It works fine now. I think by lubricating the latch periodically it will put less stress on the zinc latch as it slides back and forth.
15 REPLIES 15

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Pictures please!
FMCA member