cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two RVs hit head on - Hwy 49 in California

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two RVs collided head on while traveling on Hwy 49 near Grass Valley today. Single driver in the smaller RV and a couple in the larger one....Prayers for the families...Dennis

Story
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
47 REPLIES 47

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
We need a law against saying "just sayin'". 😉

To not make a law against driving while texting or talking on the phone means it's OK to do so. Do sensible people really think those things are OK?

Who said that? The discussion was about a law requiring cell phone companies to disable cell phones when the GPS showed the speed meant it was in a car. Meaning no more cell phone use by passengers in cars, busses, trains, etc. I just love how these discussions always take on a life of their own.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:

To not make a law against driving while texting or talking on the phone means it's OK to do so. Do sensible people really think those things are OK?

Texting and talking on a cell phone would still fall under the existing broader distracted driving laws in most jurisdictions. The safety advantage of a specific law though, assuming it's aggressively enforced, is that it allows LEOs to preemptively stop the texting/talking activity and cite the driver before an accident occurs if they observe it and the law makes it a primary offense. Lacking that, the only option generally is to include the distracted driving charge along with any other charges following an accident. Prevention is obviously preferable...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
There are YouTube videos of cell phone enforcement in Europe. Apparently, over there it is illegal to even touch a cell phone while driving and at least some officers aggressively enforce the law.

Remember, your right to talk/text on a cell phone stops at the double yellow line. What others say is true of course, more laws with no enforcement accomplishes nothing.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe instead of passing more laws, we should simply require everyone to pass a "common sense" test. Too many feel 'entitled' these days, disrespect the police and thumb their noses at 'rules'....just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

onrecess
Explorer
Explorer
I drove a semi coast to coast for a few years. I've seen head ons with all kinds of vehicles. Semis would have fared no better, and quite possibly worse.
Even modern cars and SUVs do poorly on a head on corner to corner, like this. In any vehicle, an corner impact head on at highway speed is going to cause major injuries. It is just really lucky everyone is expected to survive.
Tom Anderson
2005 GeorgieBoy 35

grant135b
Explorer
Explorer
Some laws are written and passed more as a result of public pressure and political expediency without much thought given to the law's enforceability in the real world, and some "texting while driving" laws fall into that category. It's not uncommon for texting while driving laws to not specifically prohibit a driver from holding a device, looking at a device, or even using the GPS or other functions of the device, thus making it difficult for an officer to base a traffic stop (let alone a citation) on simply seeing a driver looking at or even operating a handheld device even if it's considered a primary violation in that jurisdiction. Where those legal exceptions exist, the officer has to somehow be able to prove they were texting at the time. In the real world, those laws with problematic proactive enforceability issues are more typically enforced after the fact (crash investigation, etc) if it can be proved that the driver was in fact texting at the time.

Of course, some jurisdictions already had blanket "distracted driving" laws dating back long before the existence of cell phones, which render specific texting-while-driving prohibition needless. However, depending on the judge, the officer typically needs specific behavioral indicators (swerving, crash, etc) or other incriminating evidence of distraction to gain a conviction.
Fleetwood Pace Arrow, USAF/SAC Vet (KC-135A, B-52D)

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I ran across a little more on this accident today, it makes you think about just how fast lives can be changed. It sounds like everyone involved is lucky to be alive, and hope they all are on a path to full recovery.
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Effy wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Maybe we should make it illegal for the driver in a vehicle to talk to passengers as studies have also shown that is distracted driving and can be just as distracting as a cell phone. And kids should be banned from cars too because they are more distracting than cell phones. Where does it end?

My only comment to this is :R. I suspect your comments are tongue in cheek.

isn't always the answer. It's already illegal in most every state to use a cell phone while driving yet people still do it. Laws don't
Actually, no they aren't. There are people who would suggest laws like this. It's just that I'm a retired cop and even I think we have too many laws and more laws to solve every single problem in society always solve the problems they are intended to solve.

When the laws aren't enforced they don't solve the problem. I see at least 50 people every day driving while texting. Easily. Many drive right by cops who do nothing. So you might as well have no law. If they started enforcing it maybe it would make a difference. So it's a good law, but it might as well not exist.

You must have good eye sight. I see people using their phones while driving too, but can't say I've ever seen anybody drive right by a cop who saw them and did nothing. In fact I have seen police pulling people over with their cell phone in their ear.

I do have good eyesight but that's beside the point. It's hard to miss. Come to NC some time. Favorite past time is to text while driving and run red lights.
2013 ACE 29.2

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Maybe we should make it illegal for the driver in a vehicle to talk to passengers as studies have also shown that is distracted driving and can be just as distracting as a cell phone. And kids should be banned from cars too because they are more distracting than cell phones. Where does it end?

isn't always the answer. It's already illegal in most every state to use a cell phone while driving yet people still do it. Laws don't
Actually, no they aren't. There are people who would suggest laws like this. It's just that I'm a retired cop and even I think we have too many laws and more laws to solve every single problem in society always solve the problems they are intended to solve.

When the laws aren't enforced they don't solve the problem. I see at least 50 people every day driving while texting. Easily. Many drive right by cops who do nothing. So you might as well have no law. If they started enforcing it maybe it would make a difference. So it's a good law, but it might as well not exist.

You must have good eye sight. I see people using their phones while driving too, but can't say I've ever seen anybody drive right by a cop who saw them and did nothing. In fact I have seen police pulling people over with their cell phone in their ear.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not long ago I followed a vehicle on a secondary road that was all over the place while I was towing a trailer. Sure enough he eventually drifted into the other lane and hit a pick up head on. Killed him and other driver was critical but survived. First thing cop did was pick up his phone from the floor. Probably texting or at least talking. If you do it you are wrong and don't try to make it sound ok.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I believe the PA was Florida registered from what you can se of the rear plate(tag for you back east).

The news article says that one driver was from Grass Valley and the others were from Anaheim. Seems that this was two California drivers that decided to meet each other. I hope they all recover from their injuries.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the PA was Florida registered from what you can se of the rear plate(tag for you back east).
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

2013 ACE 29.2