cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two RVs

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone here own two RVs a large and a small if so how do you determine which one to use ( roads/routes, size of camp ground ) . I can see several situations when a smaller class C would be a better fit instead of my 40 footer. However, I would never give up my big diesel. Just an idea I'm kicking around .
22 REPLIES 22

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
I have an F350 Diesel with 1130 Lance Camper, the big one. I use it when I'm going someplace I don't want to take Moho. Like the back side of lakes, down forestry roads and such.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides the 40 footer in my signature, we have a full size chevy van conversion that we use for an overnighter or week-end. Any longer time than that, we take the motorhome and tow a car, or tow the enclosed car trailer with car and side by side ATV inside. It depends on where we are going and what we are going to do when we get there.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
I need to update the signature line since we sold the Class B this spring. We had both a 45 footer and a Sprinter based B for four years. The Class B was used for short weekends because it would fit in West Virginia parks. After retirement it was clear that for our style of travel, we use the 45 ft for a home base and the subaru for trailhead access and sightseeing.

The Class B didn't make the cut in which one to keep. The B was easy to drive and required very little maintenance. But for any trip over four days it didn't make sense.

I'm not saying this would have been the right decision for everyone. I think it depends on what you do when you travel.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

34midget
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 27 foot BT Cruiser and a 36 foot Monaco Windsor with the 8.3 diesel. When it is just the wife and I traveling, we use the BT Cruiser and pull a Mazda3 on a dolly. When we pull our 7800 pound race car trailer with four people, we use the diesel pusher. It handles the trailer just great.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I've given it some serious thought but since we fulltime in a 45 foot MH, the extra 23 feet for the class B we would want would put us seriously over the legal total length for a vehicle. A 19 footer wouldn't work for us because we have two girls and need to sleep 4.

In addition, we would need to figure out a bike rack and add that to the length.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Not me. I did see a truck camper pulling a large travel trailer just last week. The man said he base camps in TT and explores back roads boondocking with truck camper. Must be nice

I always thought that a smaller RV 24 ft towing a smaller trailer would be ideal, have 42 ft of RV space but split between two units. sight see in the B van or TC and leave the TT in a campground.
bumpy

Jeffslock
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 19 ft Coachman class B van camper and a33ft class A. We use the b van for short trips and traveling to see family. We use the class A when we will be in one place more than two or three days.we camp a lot and have put 60 thousand miles on the B van in two years. We average about 12-15 thousand miles a year on the class A. We are not retired yet and when we do will probably use the class A more. The B van was great when we have had to spend a week at the hospital in another state to be with family. I would not want to be without either one and would hate to have to choose between them. Each has its own purpose.
YMMV

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
We have both a 19' Roadtrek, and a Class A. If we are taking a driving trip where we are staying sometimes in a hotel, sometimes in the camper, we take the Roadtrek. It has it's advantages such as better fuel mileage, easier to get around, hooking up, unhooking. But it has it's disadvantages, so small, have to unhook to go places. The idea of parking in a lot somewhere is getting tougher to do because it's hard to obtain permission. I don't like getting ran off at 2am. Many cities have no overnight parking rules, etc. If we are going to one or 2 locations to stay for a week or more, we take the Class A and pull the car. If I had to choose, I'd give up the Roadtrek before the Class A.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime in our 40' Phaeton QSH and have a 21' Trail-lite 213 B+ as a "vacation rig/mobile kennel" for day/weekend trips. This happens during the summer when we spend a month at a time in Indiana over 5 months. With selling the 4th of 5 duplexes next month we'll be spending less time in Indiana in future years. Leaving more time for the B+ and East Coast trips where the 40' motorhome can be limited in access. The B+ was bought in 2012 for a long planned 2013 Alaska trip and we decided to keep it. The B+ was great for the ease of travel during that 79 day trip. We have thought of buying a slightly longer one with a full time bed set up, though.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Have the Journey and a Four Wheel Camper for my Dodge 2500 for when I need to get a little more remote or want to get there a little faster. Sometimes I can even talk the wife into the truck camper, sometimes.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
We have two. Our reason (was, is, HERS):)

We have a tiny old Majestic for anything less than 3 weeks. Anything over 3 weeks, we use "wives" 30 foot trailer. Comes in handy. Notice I call it "hers". We got tired of tripping over each other in small class C. So got a larger one. But we sure enjoy traveling in it.

The park we stay at when we're south and pull her trailer to has several people that also have a smaller rig along with a bigger RV. One couple lives in Wisconsin and leaves their big RV at the (AZ) park all year and camps all the way down every year from Wisconsin.

Another couple has mega dollar bus and they have left it south for 2 years now and travel out of their homemade van.

Our home base is Seattle and there is a lot to do within 1,000 mile circle. Tiny RV is great for that kind of stuff, but staying at one place over 2 weeks get on both of our nerves. Usually 3 or 4 days at Nat Forest, or off grid somewhere then museums or tourist things in cities. Then off to somewhere else. But after about 3 weeks in little RV time to come home.

The down sides...I always seem to have a RV project going? Wait till you get another RV. Never ends. Now we've ended up with 4 BBQ's, and probably have duplicate of more stuff than I need at 2 sheds.

What gets me the most is writing a check for property taxes that we hardly ever use. But had house here when we retired, then wife had medical issues and she loves our medical. And we can't get back into our medical program if we disenroll. So keeping house for now, or should I say the rv parking storage and laundry house?

(edited part... Didn't know this was in Motorhome section. We don't own any motorhomes now. We did in the past and found them to best use of room of any RV's but hated the part situation.)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Kicking around the same idea. Currently have a 42' DP and a CR-V with a tent.

Looking for something in between - perhaps an Aliner or the like.

(Really wish we had kept our ViewFinder)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
I can't think of their name, but I know there is at least one member here who has a decent sized DP and a Class B. And if memory serves correct, they can tow the Class B behind their DP. 🙂

I've toyed with the idea, but we have to get the kids through school before wifey would let me live through such a decision. 🙂 LOL

~Rick

No, we do not own two. I believe is John and Angela who pull a Class B behind their class A. they have posted a wonderful blog of their travels through Mexico.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still own vintage Prevost that gives us lot of memories when kids were still with us, but lately, having pickup already I bought luxury Truck Camper and with our 3 Jack Russell Terriers we enjoy mobility of it.
Since the Prevost doesn't sell for decent price, I am keeping it with mountain cabin in mind.
In the past, still using Prevost I bought Airstream trailer from the neighbour and kept it on my long-drive rental property as my visiting accommodation. Worked pretty well and when I was done with projects on rentals, sold the Airstream for profit.