cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 50amp?

GoalstoDreams
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2007 Itasca Spirit 25F which is 30amp. I've tripped the breaker once already using a blow dryer while the AC unit was running. I've also been told by my neighbors here in my RV park that I will most certainly trip it if I try to use the convection oven while the AC is on.

I can adapt to the limitations this presents but would prefer to avoid it if possible...I am wondering if it is feasible to upgrade to 50amp or install a separate 20amp circuit to service the AC unit alone and plug it in separately to shore power (which a neighbor suggested).

(I searched the forums for this topic but couldn't find it, so apologize if this has been addressed before).

Any help/advice would be most appreciated!

Sue
Sue
Arizona
http://sehow1966.wordpress.com
18 REPLIES 18

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrade to 50amp?

No.

It's the nature of the RV beast. Plugging in the hair dryer being the one culprit for blowing a breaker when the air is on.

When the ac is on you can NOT plug in a hair dryer, toaster, micro or sometimes even a coffee pot. You just LEARN not to do it. The longer you RV the more it will become something you do without even thinking.

'Everyone' that owns an RV has the exact same problem. Owners with 50 amp have the same problem also when plugging in too many things at one time.

These RV's are not your 200 amp panel in your stick home that you are accustom to! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long does it take to dry your hair?

We have had a 30 amp RV now for 7 years (2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C). To use a blow dryer, you HAVE to turn off the A/C and the electric water heater element. It is only for a few minutes though, so it isn't an imposition.

We also have to turn them off to use the convection/microwave WITH the convection feature. If we just use the microwave function, only, we have never had a problem. (Actually, we don't have to turn off the water heater to use the convection/microwave. Winnebago wired the water heater and the convection/microwave to the same breaker throught an ATS. If the microwave is not running, the water heater has power. If we start the microwave, the ATS kills power to the water heater automatically. But we still have to turn off the A/C if using the convection feature.)

As far as a separate line to shore power, it would be easier to just run an extension cord out the window to the pedestal to power the blow dryer.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue,

In the RV world, 50amp service is more than 30 + 20. Changing an existing system from 30 (5-30) to 50 (14-50) would be a significant tear up and expensive if you did not do it yourself. (You actually could.)

The plan to separate the A/C unit and run it to another 15~20 receptacle is better, but without digging around in the unit, I cannot say how hard that would be. Many dual A/C units are shipped with this arrangement in place.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replies'll be interesting. I've thought the same thing. The advantages are clear. Problems are at least that we'd need a second or different 120V panel (breaker box) to serve the other 120V "leg" that makes up the second branch of the 50A service. Some of the (forgive me if I use wrong terminology) "primary" wiring (shore tie, main feed into breaker box) would have to be upgraded.
That's all do-able. I'm more concerned that a 30A coach just doesn't have the branch wiring to spread 50A service across enough outlets to take advantage of it. That's when you think of say, Coffee Maker and Toaster. They might be plugged into different OUTLETS, but are more than likely to be fed by same WIRE and same Breaker. And if that branch is 15A, we should not up the breaker to 20A.
We have a 15000A/C and 1000W microwave. Our 30A will sometimes trip using just those two (plus yes, the Converter). So far we just do Load Shedding. If A/C is running, only one other high load AC appliance: Micro, Toaster, Coffee, Hair Dryer, Water Heater. That isn't as bad as it sounds except for forgetting. For example, we often turn A/C off during a meal, so we turn the Water Heater on. By the time we want the A/C back, there's hot water for the dishes. But if it's a peak day, water heater on LPG is the only option.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB