cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Urgent: Need Tire Advice Class A Diesel

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
Today, Friday Sep 9, I had an incident and punctured a sidewall in Duluth MN. Currently I have Toyo 12R22.5 all around. These tires were installed in July 2010, so they have been in use for a little over 6 years. The tires were not fresh when I installed them: they ranged from 1.5 years to 0.5 years old when installed (I was misled by the dealer). Since they are almost aged out Iโ€™m inclined to replace all 6, if I can find a suitable set. Therein lies the rub.

I called a local Class A RV dealer for a recommended tire vendor. The first could get nothing until at least Wednesday. The other could get me some Goodyear G661s in my size on Monday morning (mine is an uncommon size). The dealer said he had put this model on RVs in the past with no complaint. I looked up this model on the Goodyear site, and it is characterized as a truck tire rather than an RV tire.

So, it looks like my options are to buy one or a whole set of the GY G661 or stay here for up to a week if I choose a different model or size. I canโ€™t really do any more until Monday. We have been on the road for over two months and need to be home in NC in a week or so, so our time is not unlimited I will do some research over the weekend for other models.

In the meantime:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the GY G661.

2. I like my Toyos, but that may not be an option. Any other recommendation for a particular model?
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)
24 REPLIES 24

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Lot's of good suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

I'll spend the weekend considering my options. I can't really do anything until Monday anyway.

Country Coach tended towards overkill, perhaps the reason for furnishing the 12Rs.

If either of the dealers here participates in the FMCA Michelin Advantage program, I might replace all 6 with whatever appropriate tire they can get quickly.

The punctured tire is on the rear. I may investigate installing a used tire on the rear, or perhaps 2 new steer tires and put an older steer tire on the rear. I'll consult with with dealer on Monday regarding my options.

Myron
footslogger

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
footslogger wrote:
Today, Friday Sep 9, I had an incident and punctured a sidewall in Duluth MN. Currently I have Toyo 12R22.5 all around. These tires were installed in July 2010, so they have been in use for a little over 6 years. The tires were not fresh when I installed them: they ranged from 1.5 years to 0.5 years old when installed (I was misled by the dealer). Since they are almost aged out Iโ€™m inclined to replace all 6, if I can find a suitable set. Therein lies the rub.

I called a local Class A RV dealer for a recommended tire vendor. The first could get nothing until at least Wednesday. The other could get me some Goodyear G661s in my size on Monday morning (mine is an uncommon size). The dealer said he had put this model on RVs in the past with no complaint. I looked up this model on the Goodyear site, and it is characterized as a truck tire rather than an RV tire.

So, it looks like my options are to buy one or a whole set of the GY G661 or stay here for up to a week if I choose a different model or size. I canโ€™t really do any more until Monday. We have been on the road for over two months and need to be home in NC in a week or so, so our time is not unlimited I will do some research over the weekend for other models.

In the meantime:

1. Does anyone have any experience with the GY G661.

2. I like my Toyos, but that may not be an option. Any other recommendation for a particular model?

your tires are good for 10 years as long as they don't have sidewall cracks etc.and obviously decent tread depth
iam surprized your tires are that big on a little 33 ft bus?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.bridgestone.com.vn/en/customer-services/about-tires/tires-conversion-chart

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I have no idea why on a 33' coach they put 12R22.5 tires. What pressures do you run in them... 85 lbs ??? My point is a 12R22.5 is way more tire than you need for your weights. I would go to 11R22.5 tires that have 492 revs/mile instead of the 12s 487... not enough difference to worry about. You would have to increase your tire pressures by 10 psi because the 11R has a little less load carrying capacity.
A 11R is a very common truck tire (your 12R is not a RV tire) and they may even have it in Toyo or Hankook for a lot less money. I would put two 11R on the front and get back to NC. I'm running six Hankook 11R/22.5 on the back of my DP because I did not need 295/80/22.5 on the rear for my weights. I'm running 315s on the front instead of 295s.

BIG rubber was installed on CC's because of an imbalance situation.....and when 10's and 11's were installed they bew some out causing wrecks.....hence 12.00 tires at 120 inflation front and 110 psi rear
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no idea why on a 33' coach they put 12R22.5 tires. What pressures do you run in them... 85 lbs ??? My point is a 12R22.5 is way more tire than you need for your weights. I would go to 11R22.5 tires that have 492 revs/mile instead of the 12s 487... not enough difference to worry about. You would have to increase your tire pressures by 10 psi because the 11R has a little less load carrying capacity.

A 11R is a very common truck tire (your 12R is not a RV tire) and they may even have it in Toyo or Hankook for a lot less money. I would put two 11R on the front and get back to NC. I'm running six Hankook 11R/22.5 on the back of my DP because I did not need 295/80/22.5 on the rear for my weights. I'm running 315s on the front instead of 295s. Not only am I mixing sizes, I'm mixing brands... Firestone and Hankook.

I agree with the above post if you can buy a used 12R22.5... put it on the back and go home. When you replace all of your tires I would SERIOUSLY look at putting 11Rs back on it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Don't make a decision in a panic. If the front tire is damaged move the outer rear to the front and buy a good used, or cheap new similar size replacement to get you home. Then make a rational decision about replacing your tires.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I personally would wait until Wed. I wouldn't mix tires brands. For what you saved buying those Toyos, you pay in lack of availability.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
How about just replacing the steer tires until you get home?
Then if you don't like the GY's you won't take as much of a beating if you decide to replace them.

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
Yes 12R22.5. I have edited the original post. Thanks for the link.

Myron

jplante4 wrote:
I'm assuming you meant to type 12R22.5.

I had 9R22.5 on the Sahara but was having a hard time finding them. The manufacturer also recommended 25570R22.5 as well. I bought a set of 6 Yokohama RY023 tires for $2500. These are 16 ply H rated tires. The only issue is the smaller diameter makes my speedo read high.

Here's a thread on the 661s.
footslogger

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm assuming you meant to type 12R22.5.

I had 9R22.5 on the Sahara but was having a hard time finding them. The manufacturer also recommended 25570R22.5 as well. I bought a set of 6 Yokohama RY023 tires for $2500. These are 16 ply H rated tires. The only issue is the smaller diameter makes my speedo read high.

Here's a thread on the 661s.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox