cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using Side/Rear Cameras for Security

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tied into their cameras for security when parked. It would be nice to see if someone is around the motorhome without turning on the signals or putting it in reverse.
11 REPLIES 11

Tinyandthegang
Explorer
Explorer
Only twice in 40 years of RVing have we been disturbed. Once was near an old apple orchard and it was a large group of deer milling around. The other time was during a rain storm when a large bull elk decided that under our awning was a good place to spend the night.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
The only campsite intruders we have had in 11 years of fulltiming have been the wildlife type. Most have been the annoying kind though we have had several bears come lurking around.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like many have said above, our four camera system can work independently from ignition switch, sure we can use it whenever but it is rare indeed that we use it for security purposes. Same thing as most have indicated, for the 3 decades we have been RVing never had any issues, of course we are prepared for such occurrences. You could add cameras hardwired to 12 volts, lots of options on Amazon and Ebay.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH had a security system but only the door. Dealer disabled it apparently.
Cameras work independent of ignition on ours anyway.
Perimeter sensors and selective alarm/light buzzer and cell notification, even call 911 is available fr cars. Remember the early days when if you got too close, by the alarms standards, you would hear step away from the car or some such. As to cameras triggering an alarm or notification if someone approaches, entirely feasible but I'm not versed in it.
Someone here, surely is versed in alarm systems that are available for MHs.Don't see them offered at Dealers, or we haven't Seems an excellent opportunity for someone, to set up shop at rallies. A thousand dollars should get a real thorough setup.
One good thing we see less and less reports on current vandalism. etc of MHs these days here anyway.Boon docking I don't think I would without one.
Sensor lights like we have at home linked to cameras and monitor/and cell is an excellent idea. We only had two lights on our MH. four and one on rear and one on front would be good but wiring it though the ceilinng might be a chore. Is anyone offering security lights for MHs?

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
trashguy wrote:
I'm not new to Rv and camping, have had one rig or another for 35 year and not generally paranoid but a place we boondock and ride our Atv's and have for the last 25 years seems to be not as safe as once was. A girl was shot out there a few weeks back. Just figured it would be a stealthy way to peek around the rig at night when things go bump.

Turn on your outside lights if you have them. My turn and back up camera also can be on without engine running. As others have stated you have to leave on a monitor or Tv to see or get up. We started in 75 so been around a while. Only once did we get excited about what started happen around the RV. It was our place to park for the week-end. It only happen once and never again. Enjoy.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
For me its not the technology but it becomes a mental mindset.
If I need to watch cameras at night it ruins my experience. If I don't have a camera option then I won't develop that mindset.
Cameras may act as a deterrent, but they need to be conspicuous vs. being hidden to do so.
In the long run too much focus/awareness on crime and safety puts a damper on the overall experience. If the area is safe go and enjoy yourself if the area is unsafe choose another area. Trying to camp in reconnaissance mode is no fun.
Sort of like sleeping with one eye open .....that's really no way to relax and have a good time!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem might be that the dash monitor is not easily seen if you are in bed, or anywhere else in your coach. Just walking to see the monitor may alert the "intruders" that you awake. Then again, if you being awake makes them leave, than all you have to do is just walk around if you hear a sound outside.

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not new to Rv and camping, have had one rig or another for 35 year and not generally paranoid but a place we boondock and ride our Atv's and have for the last 25 years seems to be not as safe as once was. A girl was shot out there a few weeks back. Just figured it would be a stealthy way to peek around the rig at night when things go bump.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many camping trips to a total of 38 states so far over 27 years and no problems with anything missing or signs of anyone trying to get in and we are usually gone most of the day. Only scare was when we were sleeping and it sounded like someone trying to mess with the supports on the rear slide bed. Went out loaded for bear and it was a deer that tried to go by on the slope under the rear slide and got his antlers stuck in the support. Got him out and we all relaxed.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the side and rear cameras in mine work fine without the ignition or turn signals on but like JaxDad I've never felt the need to use them except while driving.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It sounds like youโ€™re either parking in the wrong area, or RVโ€™ing maybe isnโ€™t for you.

I take 6 to 12 trips per year in my m/h, and have for nearly 30 years. I overnight to & from in rest areas, parking lots, commuter lots & etc. and have never once had any issues, nor heard of anyone else having an issue.

Life is short, relax and enjoy the ride.