cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V 10 big surprise!!

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Last Wednesday I purchased a 2012 Itasca Impulse Silver 26QP. It was about 400 miles from home, so after closing the deal I headed over a couple sets of mountains, across a ferry, and back to Vancouver Island.

Yesterday I lifted the front hood and noticed a few mouse turds on the top of the battery. That got me a bit more interested, and with a flashlight I notice down deep on the engine a pile of maple seeds right between the cylinder banks. I got about two quarts of seeds out with a vacuum, and that was all I could see.

Today I took off the doghouse and got to the back end of the engine. Right there in the back between the cylinders was another quart and a bit more of packed in maple seeds.

Pretty scary stuff considering what might have happened on a hot summer day. Dodged a bullet I reckon. The rid had sat unused for a couple of years due to medical problems. Everything seems to be working, no evidence of wire chewing anywhere I could see.

Any suggestions where else I should be looking?

Mike
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel
8 REPLIES 8

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
In the meantime, some little critter is without it's Winter's food supply. :E

Maybe you should return the seeds and the storage facility. :B

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I had squirrels chew completely through the main wiring harness, battery cable insulation and a lot more. It took me a week of work and I had to individually repair the wires in the harness about as big a bundle as your wrist. Just awful. Your very lucky that didn't happen.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
Very common on the V-10, especially with RV's. I've found chewed acorns in the 'V', in and around the air filter, under the coolant reservoir, and in the generator compartment.

I've also found them taking insulation from the walls and shredding paper towels.

I've never had a problem with them chewing wires, but it can make a really big mess.

The Hantavirus danger can be real, but it depends on where you live (or where the vehicle acquired the rodents). Where I live (SE US), we don't really need any precautions.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
You need to read up on Hantavirus CDC link to vehicle cleaning . Never vacuum mouse droppings without soaking with bleach solution and waiting at least 5 minutes. The exhaust of the vacuum puts the virus up into the air. The link has some good info/precaustions on cleaning a vehicle as well as where to look.

In a RV I would look under all the cabinets, the power panel area, vent ducts, storage compartments, propane and battery compartments, etc. etc. Those are all places I have found rodents trying to nest.

It is not a trivial job to clean a RV with a rodent infestation.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Glad your back on the road and congrats on you purchase.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Had a squirrel build a nest in our Lincoln Town Cars air filter box. It sat for six months over the summer and I guess it was a safe place for him.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
HVAC intake is a nice place for them as well. I like to cover the opening with metal screen.
BTW, congrats on a great sounding new rig!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Air filters are often chewed up and what that can cause can be wide ranging.