V10 Motor Oil

sillsmack
Explorer
Explorer
All,

Well, I've done it now.

I brought home a new class A.

Mine is on the FORD F53 chassis.

The oil fill cap & owners manual state it is to use 5W20 motor oil ?

WOW! That sure is thin.

The car makers have been using thinner & thinner oils to get max MPG out of their vehicles.

Well, 5W20 hasn't helped my mpg too much. At 2,100 miles it is making 6.38mpg without my toad.

I worry as the V10 is dragging this lead sled up steep mountain grades towing our 4,500lb jeep wrangler I want it to have Sufficient lubrication.

I live in California and each trip involves big hills & mountains to climb.

So my question is this-->
Could I use a heavier oil to make the V10 last longer ??

My Jeep uses 5W30.

Is any of you out there running a heavier oil ?? What grade ?

What about just an additive like STP ?

ALSO,
I keep my rig at home. When parked beside my garage should I keep the slide in ?

Will it strain the slide mech to keep the room out for months & months & months at a time ??

Curious in Hayward

~Mack
Mack
Hayward, Ca
'02 NorthStar 10 foot Pop Up Truck Camper
'03 F350 SC 4X4 SRW 6.0L Diesel
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sport
40 REPLIES 40

Explorer
Explorer
Rodz wrote:
427435 wrote:
The engineers have a lot of things to consider (as do the marketing and lawyer types). Using 5w-20 oil in an engine will help MPG a bit. Meeting CAFE standards is a very big deal for the engineers and for Ford in general. If an engine can "get along" with a thinner oil for a reasonable time, they will move to it rather than use an oil that will extend the life of an engine to 100,000+ miles at the expense of MPG ratings.

Besides the recommended oils in Europe, Ford also specs a 5w-50 oil for their supercharged Mustang GT, here in the USA, where life might be a problem with a "light" oil.

Again, even 5w-20 oil is several hundred to several thousand cSt "thicker" at startup temps than a 5w-40 or 5w-50 oil is at operating temps. How many of you have seized a bearing during startup?? And if the first number is a 5w, you are fine for startup. The second number only relates to the much, much thinner "thickness" at operating temps. A higher number there will provide more bearing protection when your right foot is on the floor board climbing a long mountain grade, in a hot ambient, pulling a toad.

You are free, of course, to use whatever you want. My time spent in engine labs and vehicle engineering leads me to use something better than a 5w-20 oil in an engine that sees heavy loads.

Good imformative post. "427435"???? Is that what I think it is?

Yup. My first new car in 1967.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Everybody has an opinion on motor oils, so naturally, so have I.
Beyond that, I firmly believe one should break in a new engine in dino oil only. I even go so far as to change at 50 miles, 100 miles, 300 miles and 1000 miles. The purpose of this is to remove all metals accumulated in the oil during the break-in period. After that change per the manufacturer's specified intervals (or less). Once you get to the 5000 mile mark I believe in changing over to synthetic oil for the rest of the engine's life.

And the oil filter is there to do WHAT?
My V-10 uses a quart in 2k mi. on 5-20 and none at all with 5-30 at 86k mi.. I change oil & filter once a year if it's 5k mi. or 15k mi. Engine runs perfectly & strong on 5-30 so why use a thinner oil?
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Explorer
Explorer
conceptumator wrote:
Maybe this will clarify. I asked the same question on the V10 to my mechanic and race car friend and his explanation makes a lot of sense. The oil type is determined based on the manufacturing tolerances in each engine. As tolerances get smaller, the oil needs a different viscosity. Using any weight other than recommended is a gamble.

Sigh.

Again, tolerances and clearances are two different things. The MINIMUM clearance of a bearing doesn't change with reduced tolerances. It stays the SAME. On the other hand, if machining tolerances are cut in half, the MAXIMUM CLEARANCE of a bearing in a production engine will be cut in half-----BUT THE MINIMUM CLEARANCE WILL STAY THE SAME.

The reduction of the MAXIMUM CLEARANCE allows the engineers (and CAFE managers) to use a thinner oil at operating temps-------which slightly helps mpg.

The viscosity of a 5w-anything oil will all be similar at startup-------and 100 to 1000 times thicker than at operating temp. That is a 5w-50 oil will be much, much thinner at operating temp than a 5w-20 oil is at startup-------and they both will be a similar thickness (viscosity) at startup. If the bearings don't seize at startup with a 5w-20 oil, they won't seize (or wear), at either startup or at operating temps, with a 5w-40 oil.
Mark

conceptumator
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this will clarify. I asked the same question on the V10 to my mechanic and race car friend and his explanation makes a lot of sense. The oil type is determined based on the manufacturing tolerances in each engine. As tolerances get smaller, the oil needs a different viscosity. Using any weight other than recommended is a gamble.

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy, I believe the V10 motor was changed in '03 or '04 with I think 3 valves per cylinder to up the HP to the currant 362 from 315 and torque up to 457#'s.

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Bill Hamilton wrote:
427435 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
Do not use anything but 5W20 in a V-10. Ford has been crystal clear on this issue from day one.

:C

No they haven't. The recommended oil for my 2000 V10 was 5w-30.

I've always used at least a 5w-40 in mine as well as a lot of miles with 15w-50 (Mobil 1). 50,0000 miles later things are running as fine as when I bought it.

X2 My first v10 circa 2001 was 5w-30. My understanding is nothing was done to change the motor. Ford just changed the recommendation to improve milage.

Yep, so much for millions of dollars in research!

Well.....you're a Dodge guy, we expect that from you.....lol

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
The engineers have a lot of things to consider (as do the marketing and lawyer types). Using 5w-20 oil in an engine will help MPG a bit. Meeting CAFE standards is a very big deal for the engineers and for Ford in general. If an engine can "get along" with a thinner oil for a reasonable time, they will move to it rather than use an oil that will extend the life of an engine to 100,000+ miles at the expense of MPG ratings.

Besides the recommended oils in Europe, Ford also specs a 5w-50 oil for their supercharged Mustang GT, here in the USA, where life might be a problem with a "light" oil.

Again, even 5w-20 oil is several hundred to several thousand cSt "thicker" at startup temps than a 5w-40 or 5w-50 oil is at operating temps. How many of you have seized a bearing during startup?? And if the first number is a 5w, you are fine for startup. The second number only relates to the much, much thinner "thickness" at operating temps. A higher number there will provide more bearing protection when your right foot is on the floor board climbing a long mountain grade, in a hot ambient, pulling a toad.

You are free, of course, to use whatever you want. My time spent in engine labs and vehicle engineering leads me to use something better than a 5w-20 oil in an engine that sees heavy loads.

Good imformative post. "427435"???? Is that what I think it is?

Explorer
Explorer

Mark

Rodz
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You`ve completely missed the point. Ford at one point said 5W30 only, then said years later 5W20 only. so much for manuf. testing for hundreds of thousands of miles. it`s been proven time and again that engineers are not the last word in much of anything!

Who knows, maybe a few years down the road Ford will go back and say to use only 5W30 in their motors.

Exactly. It seems every few years when they bring in a new batch of engineers, the new guys have different ideas.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You`ve completely missed the point. Ford at one point said 5W30 only, then said years later 5W20 only. so much for manuf. testing for hundreds of thousands of miles. it`s been proven time and again that engineers are not the last word in much of anything!

Who knows, maybe a few years down the road Ford will go back and say to use only 5W30 in their motors.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
I would go with the guys on the internet that have far more miles on their engines. like I said Ford decided the 5W30 wasn`t right for my V-10 and said to use 5W20. many people by the time they said it was OK to switch had well over 100k mi on their motors with the 5W30.

so with that which oil would you use?

What guys have far more miles than the ford engineers have access to?

Which ones have access to the repair records of thousands of engines, so the can see the statistical differences?

It's probably not the end of the world to use 5W30 but to claim that since you got 150k miles, you know better...I'm not even sure where to go with that.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill Hamilton wrote:
427435 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
Do not use anything but 5W20 in a V-10. Ford has been crystal clear on this issue from day one.

I've always used at least a 5w-40 in mine as well as a lot of miles with 15w-50 (Mobil 1). 50,0000 miles later things are running as fine as when I bought it.

X2 My first v10 circa 2001 was 5w-30. My understanding is nothing was done to change the motor. Ford just changed the recommendation to improve milage.

Yep, so much for millions of dollars in research!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bill_Hamilton
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:

2006 Safari Simba
Gone 2005 31W Fleetwod Tioga SL - Not my problem anymore!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Toad

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
BigBlockTank wrote:
I'll go with what the manufacturer suggests, unless, one of you have millions of dollars for research and development, and can tell me different and back it up with solid proof. I don't have that much money, so I'll trust them, and use what they suggest.

X2

What is it about living in Tucson that allows folks like us to "get it". :B

Ford built the V-10 and Ford has to honor their warranty. If they say use 5W20, and they do.... use it. :S