cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very Expensive Preventative Maintenance

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone that will be replacing the drive belt on a Ford V-10 anytime soon: If you happen to remove all the plastic trim and air filter housing, etc., please be aware of how you put it back together. I recently took a trip and when I got on the highway, I hardly had any power. I could barely get to 60 and could not muster up enough speed or acceleration to pass anyone. I would slow down considerably on overpasses. I unhooked the Jeep to see if it improved. It didn't. I figured it must have been the fuel filter. I stopped at the nearest Auto Zone and they sold me a fuel filter for a 2010 E 450. I get out in the parking lot and could not find it. I checked the manual and it said that the filter was located in the tank. I guess the guys at Auto Zone didn't know that. I went back inside and returned it. Got it home and ordered a new fuel pump assembly since you can't order just the filter. Dropped the tank, replaced the assembly and back together. This was not an easy task by the way. I let it get down to a quarter tank. I can't imagine if it had been full. Anyway, I took it on a test run. It seemed better, but not much. I got out on the highway and things did not improve. I pulled over to disconnect the battery to see if resetting the computer would help. While the battery was disconnected, I decided to check the air filter just in case although I had recently replaced it. I removed the first section of the housing. When I went to put it back on, it would not go on quite right. There was a flap that was positioned the wrong way almost blocking the entire intake. I corrected the flap, reassembled everything and got back on the road. It ran perfect. Oh well. At least I have a new fuel pump that should last me for quite a while now.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.
25 REPLIES 25

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I also had a similar problem and the pump was changed out without any effect. I did learn however that my rig had four fuel filters. One for the in-tank pump, two canister types after the regulator and one in the carb. All had been changes with no help.

Turned out it was the P30, oil pressure relay and not the fuel system it's self.

You're right, very expensive.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
mlh-

When you come to Florida stop by and change mine... it is 2 years older than yours.

Thanks
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
JAXFL wrote:
mlh wrote:
For anyone that will be replacing the drive belt on a Ford V-10 anytime soon:

Why did you do this in the first place? Was it broken or what?

I change belts after a few years regardless. I'd rather change it my driveway than the side of the road.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
j-d

just sent you another... the first one came back strange... said don't call me J-D.

Anyway just sent it to you.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^JAXFL - Not ignoring you. Your PM didn't reach me, and I didn't hear back from the one I sent you...

Back to Topic, OP thought it was time to change it. Preventive maintenance.

My definitive post on E-Series Fuel Filter Change
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
mlh wrote:
For anyone that will be replacing the drive belt on a Ford V-10 anytime soon:

Why did you do this in the first place? Was it broken or what?
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

lonfu
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, fuel pump, huh.....

In my moho, the water tank sits right over the gas tank. I always drain the fuel tank!!!! Get a cheapo electric 12v gas pump and hose at autozone or some such. Drain tank to toad or other vehicle. Plywood and or 4x4 under tank, floor jack, loosen the straps and hoses. Drop tank. I've done it many times. Yes, moho's are bigger tanks, but weigh only about 25lbs. They are big and intimidating looking. If it is an 80 gallon tank then 60 lbs with out fuel.

I installed a 2nd tank, so I have 2 fuel pumps and 2 tanks. 40 gal in one, and 36 in the other. In 17 years, 125k miles, I've replaced the one in the 36 gal tank 3 times, the 40 gal tank, never.
May your black water hose never break! Life Charter member since 89

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, how does a repair shop return to the customer all the gas that might be in one's tank before they dropped it to install a new pump?

They don't drain the tank--they have a big jackstand that goes under the tank to support it and lower it far enough to access the pump.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
navegator wrote:
I have been a mechanic for a very long time, when something like that happens, the first thing to do is "what was the last thing I did" and start recheking all that was done backwards until you find the culprit rather than assuming everything you did was correct and start speculating with what if and trying to diagnose a problem that was non existing prior to the last event.

My income depended on doing the job once, now and then there was one that bit hard, those were the lessons of the job.

navegator

I have wrenched as a career myself, from dozers to ship cargo loading equipment. One interesting incident years ago a semi came into the great dane dealership where i

worked, driver complained of all marker lights flashing when turning on directional signals. Someone in his yard had replaced the bulbs in taillights and wedged an 1156

in a 1157 hole. It caused the 12 volt power to jump across. mechanics were ripping out the front plug, tractor plug etc. I asked their shop what they did that morning and easy fix.

On my 2009 Cambria the previous owner said that once the vehicle was stuck in Park and he wiggled the brake light switch and it allowed it to work again. Good thing he mentioned that

. On our way home from Minnessota to CA. after purchasing the coach alongside a very deserted piece of road it happened. Pulled over to P and bingo.

Even after all my experiences I check You tube before i start a project and there is usually a kind soul sharing his tricks etc. Have to pull the steering column out of my 08 JK and after

watching a video feel confident it will be without a hitch.I Plan on leaving the locking steering column clip out to eliminate inserting the key and pulling the fuse when I tow.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
I have been a mechanic for a very long time, when something like that happens, the first thing to do is "what was the last thing I did" and start recheking all that was done backwards until you find the culprit rather than assuming everything you did was correct and start speculating with what if and trying to diagnose a problem that was non existing prior to the last event.

My income depended on doing the job once, now and then there was one that bit hard, those were the lessons of the job.

navegator

X 2, what's the last thing I touched
Shopping for Travel Trailer

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reading through the original post, the mechanic recreated the same issue that some 2010 E450s had when leaving the Ford assembly line. There was a technical service bulletin issued in regards to an inlet air blockage due to improper assembly. Apparently the mechanic recreated that exact same condition. The issue is covered under TSB #10-25-6 HERE

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea, I have started a small fire in the garage welding, LOL.. That slag is bloody hot. I have seen people weld around (not on) closed gas tanks but, yea, it does seem like a risky thing to do. I don't really know how else to secure a panel back from where it was removed though. Welding is quick and easy.

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing what we learn on this site! Thanks!

5er4ever
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
Heck, I'd cut a hole in the floor and weld it back before I'd drop that tank.

I have had 3 fuel pumps so this 4th one was just that....

Measured & cut a 12x12" access.

Changed the pump in 15 min.

Built two supports and placed (just sit) the 12x12 piece in place.
Supports my weight easily and if I needed more support I would lay a board down over it.

I do not recommend welding near the tank.
Donโ€™t bother me. Iโ€™m living happily ever after. ๐Ÿ˜‰