cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOLTS AND AMPS

CarlKat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi; we're going on our first overnight camping trip tonight in our newly purchased (but used) motor home. The campground has 30 amp and 50 amp spaces. I'm trying to find out whether I can plug in my 120-volt coffee pot and am unable to find an amp to volt conversion anywhere. Anyone know? I've read posts on here stating you can't use a coffee pot, except for the stove top ones. Thank you.
Katie and Ardy
1999 Triple E Commander
Buddies: Lila, 3-yr-old Cattle Dog, and Tucker, 7-year-od Springer Spaniel.
23 REPLIES 23

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
As you've now experienced, your coffe pot will work fine. You have a 120VAC-30A rig. Plug into a 120VAC-30A pedestal. If a 120VAC-50A pedestal is all that is available, then simply purchase an adapter (male 50A/female 30A) and plug in as normal. In either case, anything that you would typically plug in at home will likely work fine plugged in in the RV. Just be aware that high draw items (A/C, microwave, hair dryer, etc) may require you to limit their use to only one or two at a time on your 30A RV.

(For those purists out there, yes, I understand that a 50A service is "technically" 240VAC; no need to jump in here. For the OP's purpose/question, that is completely irrelevant.)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to remember that the converter to operate the 12 volt system and to charge batteries needs to be figured into your load. It activates as soon as you plug the rig in. Some converters take a short period of time to get the initial charge. This can reduce your wattage that is available.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"plugged into the camping space 30 amp area."

After testing and with surge and low voltage protection?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CarlKat
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS to all you wonderful people who helped me with this issue; I think the person who said I was overthinking this was spot on ... we had a really good overnight stay - the first one in the (used but new to us) motor home, plugged into the camping space 30 amp area. I had no intention of using any other appliances, so the coffee pot worked just fine. Thanks again!!!
Katie and Ardy
1999 Triple E Commander
Buddies: Lila, 3-yr-old Cattle Dog, and Tucker, 7-year-od Springer Spaniel.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
CarlKat wrote:
Hi; we're going on our first overnight camping trip tonight in our newly purchased (but used) motor home. The campground has 30 amp and 50 amp spaces. I'm trying to find out whether I can plug in my 120-volt coffee pot and am unable to find an amp to volt conversion anywhere. Anyone know? I've read posts on here stating you can't use a coffee pot, except for the stove top ones. Thank you.
I can't believe all the clap trap answers that have been posted. Simple answer is plug your RV into whatever campground outlet (30A or 50A) matches your shore cord. Plug your coffee pot (or whatever) into any outlet in the RV. Just like at home. All there is to it.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One edit on one post "If you plug into 220 volts you will blow..."

True in part.. the 50 amp outlet at an RV park is a "240 volt" outlet but

It is a 120/240 volt system (It can deliver both 120 volts (twice) and 240 volts)

As I said your motor home will figure that out.

HOWEVER plugging into a 240 volt at a friend's garage or at home... NOT a good idea because that is a 240 only system not a dual voltage like the park

So long as you are plugging into an RV park, theory has it you are good.

In practice.. Some parks do make mistakes.. the Progressive Industries HW-50C (50 amp rig) or HW-30C (30 amp rig) properly installed is designed to protect you when that happens.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP (original poster), you asked a simple question and got the correct answer buried a bunch of technical stuff I am sure you don’t care about but what people like to post. As stated above, after you have either plugged into a receptacle that matches your plug or started up the Generator you can operate your coffee pot or any other 120 volt appliance.

Have fun and don’t over think things. The comments that you earlier read related to useing an inverter to make 120 volt power while NOT plugged in. That is not your situation.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. 50 or 30 amp service for the RV.
2. Connecting a 30 amp RV(The OP has a 30 amp) to 50 amp will NOT make much difference. The MAIN 30 amp breaker in the RV will be the limiting factor on the USE of 120 volt appliances in the RV.
3. If you have the Coffee Pot RUNNING(perculating)) you will be at that 900 to 1200 watt use.
4. NOW, factor in OTHER 120 appliances being used in the RV. The roof AC will be about 1300 to 1800 watts depending on the load and model of AC. The refer 300 watts.
5. The BREAKER for the Coffee Pot is (should be) 15 amps on a 30 amp RV. So, as long as the Coffee Pot is the ONLY extra 120 appliance running you will be OK. But run a electric Skillet or such or the Microwave and the roof AC is ON, then you will have a internal RV breaker trip. BEST rule of thumb on a 30 amp RV is to make sure the roof AC is OFF just while running the Coffee pot until you learn how to use 120 volt energy management. Doug

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a LOT of "overthinking" going on here.

Most Class A's are equipped for 50 amp service.
Get a space equipped for 50 amp service, plug in and don't worry.

The considerations are a bit different if the ONLY space you can get is 30 amp. Some limitations also might apply while running on a generator.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW, between wa8yxm and TenOC talking about water pressure I cannot begin to believe the OP would get any clarity at all. I even understand what they are trying to say and don't understand why they use something like water pressure to explain it.
The "math" is pretty simple as described previously. How many watts does your coffee maker consume (It's on a label somewhere). Take the watts and divide that by 120 (volts) and you have the total amps required. If your coffee maker is a 1200 watt unit then 1200 divided by 120V you will only use 10 amps to power the coffee maker. What you can and cannot use "at the same time" will depend upon whether you have a 30 amp coach (3600 watts) or a 50 amp coach (12000 watts). Even with a 50 amp coach you can only use 6000 watts "per leg" but it's WAY more power available than is available with a 30 amp coach.
To explain the difference a bit more....a 30 amp coach has one leg of power allowing a maximum of 30 total amps (3600 Watts) coming into the coach.
A 50 amp coach has "2" 50 amp legs coming into the coach with each leg providing 50 amps (6000 Watts) of available power for a total of 12000 Watts.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Think of Volts as water pressure. You need 120 Volts of pressure. If you plug into 220 Volts the pressure will blow out ALL your electrical wiring. Your RV battery is 12 volt or very low pressure. This is why you can touch it without getting shocked.

Think of Amp as Gallon per minute. That is 30 amps will give you twice the current flow than a 15 Amps (a standard outlet you plug a light in at home) but only about 1/2 as much as 50 amps. A 30 amp space may not be able to supply enough electricity flow to run your A/C (which takes 20 amps) and all your other electrical "toys" (electrical water heater, toaster, microwave, Ref, and TV at the same time) since you will only have 10 amps left. However, I have found that 30 Amps will work all most all the time unless I run the second A/C or more than one electrical space heater.

Watts are the combination of Volts and Amps. You need 120 volts of pressure and a "hose" that is fuze box (outlet) that will allow 30 amps of current to flow.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully you have an owners manual to help you come up to speed.

Here are a couple of excellent links to get you through the learning curve.
The 12 volt side of life part 1

The 12 volt side of life part 2.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The short answer is yes you can plug in your coffee pot.

(It is your water hose you need to worry about.. But that is another thread)

Think of VOLTS as Pounds per square inch in a water system AMPS. Well that's the size of the pipe (Well wire gauge is amps is how much water the pump can pump)

30 amp you have one 30 gpm pump It pushes pressure to 120 PSI

50 amp you have TWO 50 amp pumps. One pushes, one pulls both do 120 PSI (240 differential total)

You can plug into either side of the 50 amp service and get 120 volts.

And to make it even easier.. YOU Don't have to figure it out. the RV does that for you. Amazing bit of technology.

One thing you DO need is a Proper surge Guard. like the Progressive Industries HW-50C. This way if there is any problem with those pumps... PROTECTED
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to learn Ohm's law fine. volts/resistance = amps. You can use simple algebra to find any one variable if you know the other 2. Same with this, volts X amps = watts.

Bottom line, plug into either 50 or 30 amp service they both supply 120 volt service to all your standard house type outlets. Depends on your MH and it's appliances what you can use at the same time on 30 amp service. Take what others say with a grain of salt regarding what you can use at the same time. Our MH has a power management system. It's a 50 amp unit but if I only have 30 amp I can still run 2 A/C compressors and the fridge on A/C. Also have an electric water heater. The power management system will shut power to the second A/C compressor if I try to draw to much. Still too much the water heater get's shutdown, etc. Maybe your MH has that maybe not. If not, good thing is if you try to draw too many amps either your main breaker or the supply main breaker will trip. Then you'll know you went too far.

You do need to find out if your MH is 50 amp or 30 amp. No sense paying more for a 50 amp site if your MH is only 30 amp. If you do have a 5o amp rig you'll want to buy a 50 to 30 amp pigtail or plug. This will let you plug in your 50 amp MH when only 30 amp is available. Read the manuals that came with your MH and learn as much as you can. Then come back when you have more questions.