cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want a super clean windshield every day

Takemeanywhere
Explorer
Explorer
We're about to depart on a ten-day trip along the east coast, crossing the Chesapeake Bay, and ending up in Kentucky for the PGA Championship. DH has never been in this area, and I think the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel system is the 8th wonder of the world.

To ensure that he can see all there is to see, I want to start every morning with a very clean windshield and front windows. I have a small ladder, extendable scrubber and squeegee and a collapsable bucket. Question is, what cleaner is best to use? I'm assuming there'll be lots of bug bodies, etc. and I've heard vinegar/water is a good solution...but anyone have a not-so-secret weapon?
2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G
2009 Smart Car 4-down
23 REPLIES 23

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Buy two cheap, $9.00, 1 gallon sprayers. Clear, clean water in one and concentrated windshield washer fluid mixed @ 1.5 times the recommended mix. When you get in at night saturate the windshield with the washer fluid and then scrub with a bug scrubber on an extension pole. Spray off with clean water and then squeegee. It worked for me and does not take long.
Randy

blw2
Explorer
Explorer
I had some glas cleaner given to me once in a car care products kit. Autoglass something or another..... maybe by armor all. I have to say that was the best glass cleaner I've ever used!

The other avice i have is Rain-X. Once properly applied to a clean windshield, it makes keeping it clean much easier!

dennyR
Explorer
Explorer
Hot soapy water with steel wool works great for me. Cheap too!
2000 Newmar Dutchstar DP
2004 Road King
1994 Jeep Wrangler

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
First super clean the windshield with 000 steel wool with windex or some other
wetting solution. This gets rid of all the small teenie tiny bits of crud and leaves your windshield smooth and clean. It also removes any water spots on the windshield. Then use a glass cleaner found at Costco and other auto/grocery stores called http://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Glass-Cleaner-6-Cans/dp/B000AP585M Sprayway. Great stuff. The best I have ever used.

I think 0000 steel wool is recommended for cleaning glass instead of 000.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
AK49er wrote:
I use Stoner brand glass cleaner called "Invisible Glass", by far the best cleaner I've used. Use newspaper if you can, better than paper towels.

Just found this goop at Canadian Tire. This stuff is awesome to the nth degree. Little trick! Clean the outside glass with horizontal strokes and the inside with vertical strokes, or vis versa. Any streaks are then easily identified as either inside or outside.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Ive used 000 with good results. 0000 would probably be better, but the 000 is better at the hard water stains.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen some good suggestions to modify how I clean the windshield, especially the Dawn and Jet Dry, but to be honest, I'd never use 000 (triple 0) steel wool, especially when wet. Maybe there something there I just don't get, but most of the 000 I've seen, is too course for glass. For major pre-trip cleaning I start with dry 0000 (quadruple 0) then follow up with the spray Rain X. Picked up on the dry 0000 steel wool when I was involved with showing a classic in local car shows.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

lunch_surfer
Explorer
Explorer
Protect-All waterless wash and Tech-Shine. I will compare my windshield with anyone's........

Can't beat the combo!
Thanks,
lunch surfer
Mandalay 40e
Traveling USA looking for the best bike trails and campsites.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
First super clean the windshield with 000 steel wool with windex or some other wetting solution.

I think he meant 0000 steel wool. This is the finest grade.

Super clean windshield
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

Takemeanywhere
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Options galore! I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm going to start with the really clean window (steel wool+) suggestion, then do the dawn, jet dry deal to finish. Going to save my used dryer sheets and will probably try every method over time.

Again, many thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know how it comes out.
2015 Winnebago Sightseer 35G
2009 Smart Car 4-down

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with AK49er, Invisible Glass works great.

But, as you can see, it's a matter of opinion. Try different types and see which you like best.

Enjoy your trip.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Im loving some of these ideas (dawn & jet dry)...ive just been using windex (and elbow grease)....once the love bugs were so bad i had to use windex and a straight edge razor blade to get 'em off (soaking & paper towels wasn't working very well).

+1 on the rain-x (spray bottle or wipe on). I also use rain-x in the windshield washer tank, it really helps in the rain and bugs.

of course everyone knows that dryer sheets, w/ soapy water when washing the coach work really well for pulling the bugs off the coach...and they don't scratch. i prefer the old/used dryer sheets they seem to work just as well if not better then a new/fresh sheet.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
I have good results using RainX products.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
I use WINDEX that I buy by the gallon at Wally World. Use a 1 gallon pressure sprayer like some might use for bugs and such on their flowers......Fill up with Windex....when ya need it pump it up and it will spray Windex all over the roof if thats where ya want it
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape