All I can say is WOW!
click
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.
35 REPLIES 35

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an RV GPS this year because it supposedly will keep you off roads with low clearances. We will see.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
There are about 5,000 bridges under the height of 13'.6" I have seen a couple 13'.6" on Interstate highways. The federal limit was set to 16' in 1960.

Discovery Owners publishes a website with the Low Clearances that can be downloaded to GPS as POI.

HERE

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The really fun one is where a semi driver drives under that bridge...Loaded.. Every business day for a year.. Then one day he fails to make it deadhead (Empty).

I have seen bridges like that.. I have seen some amazing accidents thanks to the network of freeway traffic cams we had at work. (And a few more just going from point A to point B).

U-Haul near my house,, Country club also nearby (Dined there) Had an awning that was lower than the U-Haul that tried to deliver there (There was an optional path) U-haul had the picture with a DO NOT DO THIS caption.

ONE time I have taken this RV under a 12'6" overpass. that is the lowest I've ever ducked under... I made it.. But the rated height (unloaded) of the RV.. You may have already guessed is 12'6" Thankfully I run at the Max GVW so Im a couple inches shorter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
smacdiesel wrote:
The local city/state municipality really should fix this problem, I feel for all those drivers.

What is the problem that needs fixing? The clearance is 11' 8", if you are taller, go around.

EXACTLY!!!!
First off, this bridge and, all the misshaps that have happened due to it's low-level height, have been on here, time and time again. Second, 99.9999999999% of the truckers on this planet, are pretty responsible drivers, one, because of the fact that a very large percentage of them are operating their own rigs and, two, even if they're not running their own rigs, it's still their livelihood and so they're pretty cognizant of routing, stops, freeways, clearances, scales, detours and the like.

The "Box" truck drivers most likely are not nearly as aware of the limits they must operate in and, in many cases are lower paid drivers and delivery folks. So, while the city/county/road department etc. have done their part in notifying drivers approaching that particular bridge of it's clearance/height, it's also the RESPONSIBLITY of the drivers to KNOW THEIR RIGS AND, LIMITATIONS!!
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
Now you know why we would NOT try the tunnel in Zion National Park with our 2012 Winnebago Tour. It's a long detour around. And we measured the coach, book says 12'6", actual at highest point: 13'1" with engine running and air bags up.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:
The local city/state municipality really should fix this problem, I feel for all those drivers.

What is the problem that needs fixing? The clearance is 11' 8", if you are taller, go around.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
according to the website, there are flashing lights that activate before the bridge if the approaching vehicle is to tall. "You are above the hight restriction".
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:

I agree and didn't mean to be flippant when I joked about sponsorship. It needs more signage of some sort at the least and I would say the signage needs to be before the last opportunity to turn and avoid the underpass. I also bet it's not quite 11-8 from the trucks that skim the top. Now some folks, including at least some of the 5er's weren't even close and just weren't paying attention.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We have an underpass under the railroad here in town that has 8 foot clearance.
Drivers must be getting smarter, I don't recall seeing pictures of any incidents there for a couple years. IIRC, the last one was a truck camper. That railroad bridge peeled that camper off that truck just as neat as could be!
I won't even take my pickup under there, the antennas hit the beams!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
It has been posted in the past that even when the sign gives max height one should be careful as the road may have been repaved or repaired adding an inch or two to the base. Out here in the West I have only come across two crossing I can remember with 12.0 clearance...I went around.

Some of those trucks were way off but some shaved an inch. I bet they thought they were good to go. I don't want to be within 6" and better a foot. Good point on the repave.

When a camera has been set up and a you tube video posted, it almost needs a sign on the trestle "sponsored by 11foot8.com; want to be on the internet?" ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
It has been posted in the past that even when the sign gives max height one should be careful as the road may have been repaved or repaired adding an inch or two to the base. Out here in the West I have only come across two crossing I can remember with 12.0 clearance...I went around.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Didn't see any motorhomes in that.

Another fun drive is to be caught on a residential street with low-hanging tree branches, just waiting for any unsuspecting RVer to venture in.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody remember C.W. McCall and 'Wolf Creek Pass'? "Just like cleaning scum off a Louisiana swamp." LOL

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The bridge has it's own website:

11foot8.com