cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We took the leap (out)

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We finally acted on our decision to quit the RV life. We took our MH to a consignment dealer in Burlington, WA, yesterday. The dealership is "Dreamchasers RV" alongside I-5 north of the town. Friends had their '98 Bounder there after they gave up the lifestyle in August and it sold last week.

The head guy was quite impressed with the condition of our rig and thinks he can get about $7K more than we thought it was worth. The extra "perk" is that they will fix the minor issues it has for a reasonable price and deduct it from the selling price they get. We'll get a detailed list of what they will be doing in a few days.

We were surprised that he considers this a good time of year to sell. He reckons people come from out of state to visit families and decide to look at an RV to go home in instead of flying!

We're sorry to give it up, but using it was becoming too expensive. Since we started. with an elderly Class C, gas has gone from $1.75 to $4 (though it's around $2.70 at the moment) and CG fees have doubled.

I'll probably visit this group regularly, just to see what's going on. As we say in the north of England "TTFN" (Ta-ta for now).
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)
8 REPLIES 8

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you Frank! And, I'm glad your staying on RV.Net you have a lot of knowledge to share!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Eh-Up lad! What part of the North?

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Frosty's Mom. I see the occasional Honda 500 v-twin in town and think I'd love to have one, particularly the turbo version. I still don't understand how Honda were able to bring that bike to market at the price they managed.

At 73, I'm getting too old for that stuff and I'd be particularly concerned that, if I were on a bike, my UK, other side of the street instincts would kick in. When you're in a US car, you're sitting on the opposite side from a British one. On a bike, that visual cue goes away. That's the main reason I didn't take up riding a motorcycle here. Even after 46 years in the US, I'm not sure my reactions would be appropriate on a bike.

Not worth the risk, even this far on.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
...Norton Commandos all over England for 40+ hours a week!.......I watched the little old ladies peering through the steering wheels of their Oldsmobile 98s and doing 45 mph on the freeway. I doubt they could see the end of the hood. I decided I didn't want to take the risk of my wife opening the front door to a grim-face State trooper one day, so I gave up motorcycles.

HA!! ain't it the truth! i had a number of close calls and at this age i don't heal real fast anymore. but i can't help snapping my head around every time i hear a set of pipes. dang...again, hoping the best for you and the DW.
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I'll be staying on this forum, I think.

Frosty's Mom, I was a motorcycle nut in my early career in the UK, ending up doing almost 2 years as a development and test engineer for Norton-Villiers. I was getting paid (not very well by US standards) to ride the prototype 750 Norton Commandos all over England for 40+ hours a week!

Once we emigrated (1968), I watched the little old ladies peering through the steering wheels of their Oldsmobile 98s and doing 45 mph on the freeway. I doubt they could see the end of the hood. I decided I didn't want to take the risk of my wife opening the front door to a grim-face State trooper one day, so I gave up motorcycles.

We're comfortable in Anacortes, and I'm hoping we can get over the loss of the motor-home.

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck in your future endeavors!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

Frosty_s_Mom
Explorer
Explorer
good luck to you in the coming year. as i miss riding my motorcycle, i will also miss our RV for the fun times, but after the horrendous experience with it this summer may very well sell following our winter in yuma. love to travel, just not under the stress we had getting here.
wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
Workhorse 8.1 W22 with Allison Tranny

1996 Geo Tracker-4WD--"Trudy"
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler" (Class C)
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on the next chapter!