cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We've had 8 years and 68,000 trouble free miles...

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eight years ago tomorrow we bought our 2012 Nexus Phantom 23P. We found it at La Mesa RV in Tucson used with just 6,205 miles. I had been in negotiations with Nexus to have them build me this very unit but when I found it used for nearly $20,000 less and without two trips to Elkhart it was a done deal.

Here is a recent pic:

Over those 8 years we have gone coast to coast {from Tucson to Maine and just about everywhere in-between} for a total of 37 states visited. As noted those 68,000 miles have been trouble free, never a breakdown {if you don't count a blown tire}. A few of our adventures include:

Dodging tornados when crossing Tornado Alley twice, camping in snow with temps down in the teens several times, got caught in a major sandstorm on our way to Borrego Springs, evaded serious forrest fires more times than I care to remember.

We have seen nearly every National Park west of the Mississippi and several to the east. We spend several weeks in the southern Rockies every summer and never tire of just turning the key and hitting the road. What has always worked for us is quality of the coach providing comfort and safety in virtually any environment. Add to that the convenience of a 24' Class C that fits literally anywhere, that makes grocery getting or just good ole fashion sightseeing a pleasure and we have the ultimate RV. It lacks nothing we need and provides everything that we do.

As I have noted before if you are over 6' tall or the first number when you get on the scale is larger than "1" you will probably not be all that comfortable in a 24' Class C... We are neither.
:B With forums such as this constantly filled with posts of unhappy campers I am pleased to share our totally positive experience. We keep finding ways to have even more fun and adventure with each passing year.

When I started riding motorcycles after a 39 year layoff we quickly embraced a small mc trailer to enhance the motorhome dynamic. If you want the ultimate National Park experience see them from the back of a motorcycle... there is nothing that can compare. We now can {and do} use our coach for an extra bedroom and bath when we have guests as our new home has room for all of our toys on site {no more monthly nut to the storage yard} with the HOA telling me when and for how long, as in not very, we can have the coach out front for loading, cleaning or just general maintenance.

Have I had to fix/repair stuff, of course I have as "Stuff happens" but they have been few and far between. Replaced the original Domestic toilet after 6 years, recently replaced the original water heater and 35K BTU furnace needed a new control board several years ago. We are on our second awning fabric but living in Arizona is tough on anything exposed to the sun.

I replaced the original shocks at 33,000 miles with Heavy duty Bilstein's and other than adding air bags when I started towing a single axle 10' cargo trailer {due to the added tongue weight} I have done nothing to the suspension. The coach has always been two finger steering in anything up to 35 mph winds and passing trucks are never an issue.

Bottom line... if there is a happier owner out there I would love to meet and share a few tales.

:C
23 REPLIES 23

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I learned many things in my years at sea and the importance of carrying spares was certainly one. I found that when it comes to having spares the best way to go was to install the new "spare" and keep the old one in your spare parts locker.

This insures that when you have a failure and reach for that spare that it is going not only fit but work as intended. While in an isolated stretch of Mexico I watched as a friend proudly reached for his "spare" alternator when the original failed only to find it had the wrong bracket mount and would not fit. :S

Replacing the module with the new one and keeping the old one as a back up might end up being my plan but then my coach is about 6 years newer than Phil and Ron's. It is always preferable to make repairs at home with all of my tools vs on the road, the trick is knowing what and when to repair or replace.

A couple of years ago I noticed a small crack in the handle of the grey tank dump. I immediately went on line and ordered a complete new dump station plumbing set which I installed at home. if the grey handle had a crack I assumed the black probably would too at some point. I only had to contemplate for a moment one or both of those handles failing at a crowded dump station to know it was time to replace. Not having to scramble for parts and the requisite tools while out God knows where on the road seemed like a good "Plan A".

As always... Opinions and YMMV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks from me too, Ron.

Well, I guess that repair alongside the road requires crawling underneath and reaching up to remove/install a control module. The fuse and relay appear to be much, much easier to replace.

I 2nd what D.C. said: Maybe a good idea to carry the parts along with our 2005 Class C.

Or probably even better .... have a mechanic replace them ahead of time as a preventative maintenance measure. I've even given some thought to having a new fuel pump installed as a PM measure.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks Ron, never would have thought of carrying a spare but it sounds like a good idea with our 9 year old coach.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It is built on a 2007 E350 chassis. The rig is garage-kept, the chassis currently driven 42,000 miles, but has lots of idling hours.

The house has been relatively trouble-free with exception to the generator of which I had to replace the fuel pump inside it, a problem that developed last year.

As for the Ford E350 chassis, it was trouble-free until our last trip out west for a month that we just returned home from. We ended up stranded on Interstate-90, the cause was a failed fuel pump control module. The Ford dealer in Gillette WY took excellent care of us with a swift affordable repair. I am now considering carrying a spare module, an easy item to replace on a roadside.

Ron, would you provide a little more detail on how to replace this (a photo or two if possible)?

I may buy a spare to carry along too, depending upon how easy it is to replace. That failing, or the fuel pump itself, is a BIG concern for me. We don't tow along another vehicle, so getting stranded along the road somewhere (or worse ...maybe out in the boonies) could be a really big deal for us.

Thanks in advance!
For Desert Captain too.

For our 2007 E350 with V10 engine, this is the old part and new part box. The E450 and other model years might be different.

The part is mounted to the inside of the frame about half way between the fuel tank and engine. Two mounting bolts and one electrical connector and it's replaced.

Other things to carry would be some 20 amp fuses and fuel pump relays. When the module went out, it blew the associated fuse and relay, both located in the fuse box under the hood. It is a common relay, the largest one used in 4 positions.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
We bought our rig HERE new in 2007. It is built on a 2007 E350 chassis. The rig is garage-kept, the chassis currently driven 42,000 miles, but has lots of idling hours.

The house has been relatively trouble-free with exception to the generator of which I had to replace the fuel pump inside it, a problem that developed last year.

As for the Ford E350 chassis, it was trouble-free until our last trip out west for a month that we just returned home from. We ended up stranded on Interstate-90, the cause was a failed fuel pump control module. The Ford dealer in Gillette WY took excellent care of us with a swift affordable repair. I am now considering carrying a spare module, an easy item to replace on a roadside.

Ron, would you provide a little more detail on how to replace this (a photo or two if possible)?

I may buy a spare to carry along too, depending upon how easy it is to replace. That failing, or the fuel pump itself, is a BIG concern for me. We don't tow along another vehicle, so getting stranded along the road somewhere (or worse ...maybe out in the boonies) could be a really big deal for us.

Thanks is advance!

Ron, yep, what Phil said...
The part number/description and tools needed etc would be greatly appreciated. On my 2011 chassis E-350 the fuel pump and filter are located in the tank - where is the pump control module located? Did your engine throw a CEL code that identified the problem?

I never let my fuel level get below one quarter of a tank {the generator won't run and fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel they are immersed in and I live in Arizona}. Could running with less than a quarter of a tank contributed to this breakdown?

:h

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:

Thanks in advance!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I thought you were going to say you were calling it quits........... I have always enjoyed your imput, keep it up.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
my big struggle with my 2000 24 is lack of towing capacity. i camp in state parks, pull ins are tight, no way to do some of it with a trailer. my tow limit is 3500, so pulling my van is out of the question, once i get setup in camp, i really don't want to tear down to go site seeing. Looking at an electric bike now, but we generally ended up driving my van separately which kind of sucks

the other thing i am noticing is the lack of windows in new rv's my 2000 has 5 windows on the passenger side. i also could use more outside storage, but for the most part I am happy

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
One week ago we purchased a 2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE, also a 24 foot Class C and plan to have it for the next decade, maybe longer. Man do we love it! We plan to use it a lot, including a 26 mile drive to the closest Sam's Club for monthly grocery shopping. And if the wife wants to shop... In the Class C we will go. I'll nap in the parking lot with the genset and A/C blowing.

Like others we wanted something 24' or less for ease of driving and navigation of cities and National/State Parks.

We also have the Ford and LOVE the new 7.3L V8. If I drive it nice, we are getting between 12-14 mpg.

Right away, I invest in some better sway bars and it is a HUGE improvement in handling. We will be pulling a 14' Cargo Trailer a lot, with motorcycles, bicycles and kayaks.... so am pleased we have that big V8, to pull the high mountain passes in Colorado.

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
A thread has been around either on this forum or was it another, a Nexus bashing thread. I am happy to read Desert Captain's report. I too appreciate his refreshing report as well as the replies to it.

Our rig is smaller than his at 23'-8" long, rear corner double bed B+. Like many comments here, it's a good length for the sake of mobility and utility. It's a cottage not a mansion, just right for it's purpose.

I envy Desert Captain's accomplishments in his time frame and miles driven. We can't seem to get away as easy as it should be. I suppose it's what we put on ourselves here when at home, and all this "COVID stuff" didn't help.

Desert Captain, Thank you for sharing that.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice... Thanks for sharing.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Captain, your story was so nice when I first read it, that I marked it to come back and see what others had written.
I agree that in a forum likes this it's refreshing to see positive tales. In that vein, I submit a "remix" of your words for our tale.

Just over five years ago we bought our 2002 31' motorhome. We found it on craigslist with about 50k miles. I had looked at so many units in poor condition that we had decided to wait a couple years and buy new when we saved up the money. This unit was owned by an engineer who meticulously maintained the engine and exterior, and a teacher who kept her boys in line so the interior was equally clean. We left a deposit electronically that Saturday (because I had refused to take a check after so many negative experiences). By Tuesday afternoon we owned Da Moose.

Over the years we've gone coast to coast {from Denali to the Smokies and just about everywhere in-between} for a total of 32 states visited. Those 55,000 miles have been trouble free, never a breakdown {if you don't count a blown tire}.

What has always worked for us is the coach providing comfort and safety in virtually any environment. Add to that the convenience of a Class C that we've taken everywhere, from the French Quarter in New Orleans and downtown Chicago to Beartooth Pass, Death Valley, and Fairbanks. It lacks nothing we need and provides a base for everything that we do.

Have I had to fix/repair stuff, of course I have as "Stuff happens" but they have been few and far between.

Bottom line... it's good to hear positive stories from owners out there, and we're so grateful to share from our own positive RV experiences. Thanks for sharing, and reading this version.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice ..also a 23u. We bought it to put on the Alaska ferry and fit into smaller campsites than we made into with the 40 ft diesel. I didn't want slides. We have different configurations for what we are doing with the 23u. Just me meeting the boys for some dirt bike, dual sport or other? Rack on back for bike. Gone. Dirt roads not too bad no worries. Family, tow jeep, hang bike off it. The 23u seems tough enough, bought I'm 17, has 39k on it now.