cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird steps. Do you have any ideas

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
My Kwikee electric steps are acting weird. I was out cleaning the bays and other things on my motorhome and without warning or any reason my steps retracted. I had to climb inside, turn the key on and open the door to get them to extend. Turn the key off and all was well for 3 or 4 hours then all of a sudden the retracted again. Had to go though the same process to get them out. They've been out the rest of the day,,, about 8 hours now without any more problem. We're leaving on a trip Monday and I'm worried they may retract sometime and either my wife or I will step out into the open air. I've fell from that height before and it isn't fun.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem. I've not known of them doing this ever before and want to try and correct the problem before we leave, if I can.

I'd appreciate any advice.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
6 REPLIES 6

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I had a MH once that had a similar problem with the Kwikee steps and it was the electric brain that is mounted under the steps which controls it and the light. Had that replaced and no more problems.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Well, they haven't done it all day so maybe the ground was the problem. I was aware of steps being known as a cause of broken bones so I took necessary precautions. I never could figure out how to make the light work and I know the power wire comes from the controller. I just installed another one and wired it with an inside switch. I bought the weatherproof amber 2 light LED's so they should last a good long time.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please be careful when working anywhere near the steps. If they close while your hand is in the wrong place, severe personal injury will result. So...please be careful. Pull the fuse before working on that area.

Hopefully cleaning up the grounds solved your problem. I'd also recommend to check the door switch to make sure everything is properly aligned.

Until you're sure you've solved this problem, you should be a big sign on the inside of the door to check for the steps before stepping outside.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
My Kwikee electric steps are acting weird. I was out cleaning the bays and other things on my motorhome and without warning or any reason my steps retracted. I had to climb inside, turn the key on and open the door to get them to extend. Turn the key off and all was well for 3 or 4 hours then all of a sudden the retracted again. Had to go though the same process to get them out. They've been out the rest of the day,,, about 8 hours now without any more problem. We're leaving on a trip Monday and I'm worried they may retract sometime and either my wife or I will step out into the open air. I've fell from that height before and it isn't fun.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem. I've not known of them doing this ever before and want to try and correct the problem before we leave, if I can.

I'd appreciate any advice.

First, check in front of you before stepping anywhere.
Next, lock the door and pull in and out with the switch on to see if the door might not be seating properly against the door switch.
I grabbed mine top and bottom and gave it a twist of sorts with some brute force. In addition, installed and off on switch and mounted it in the basement to keep it from going in and out while going down the road, although we haven't had any problems since.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I just came back in from working on the steps. I found three ground wires at the steps. I'm sure the big one controls the steps but there were a couple of small ones too. I polished them all up. It's so sporadic I don't know if it fixed them or not. I guess time will tell.

Now if I can just get the step light to work. it doesn't right now and I'm not getting power through the + wire. I may just get a small amber light and wire it into a switch.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
Check for a bad ground wire first as that has been my experience. Ground is lost due to humidity and rust, and with travel vibrations make the contacts of wire to frame loose contact, then it regains contact all of a sudden. Remember most units have a house power off switch that will make the steps stay either up or down while it's off and then if you turn the house power switch back on the steps either retract or go down. Just don't work on the ground with your body parts in a position where if the steps move you get crushed.