cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Fall camping mods have you done ?

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the time of the year when the temps begin to fall at night. I just wanted to share a few cold weather mods that I do, that might be helpful those of you who might be extending their season. Taking a few easy steps can help keep your rig a little warmer and boondockers might benefit from that , reducing furnace run time.

I have found the entrance door to be a leak source of cold air, I use a stuffed cloth 'draft catcher' on the floor up against the rv door. It lines the footwell and then encases the sides partially up ward. It does a good job stopping the 'cold air draft'. I find it easy to use as well as store.
For times when the temps are much lower, I would cover the door with a heavy curtain as well .
Installing a curtain rod above the door allowed the curtain to be pulled to the side and tied or rolled up when not in use . A Velcro strap would hold it wrapped up and out of the way.

Painters tape . I have found wide painters tape very useful to block a draft and it works for larger cracks and holes without having to layer it up. Its easy to tear and doesn't leave residual glue on the surface once removed. (even after a relatively long time)

I would like to hear what others have done . Please join in , it's that time of the year ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. those in the storms path on the east coast, near the Carolina's ...if you have an rv, you should already be westbound ....please be safe .
6 REPLIES 6

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Ron....very nice! Thanks for the list of items done and how-toโ€™s!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb, that's a good idea , having less space to heat and having it roll up is nice.

Ron, tnx for sharing your links. That's great stuff .

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have maintained a record for 11 years of modifications I made to our motor home (2007 Phoenix Cruiser, model 2350) since we bought it new back in 2007. Each post includes specific details with pictures for instruction if others desire to consider them.

CLICK HERE to see my interactive list.
CLICK HERE for a pictorial run-down which includes more simple mods that don't require much explanation.

It is posted on the Phoenix Cruiser forum, but guests can read through them just the same. Some mods are PC-specific, but many will apply to any motor home.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
As โ€œfallโ€ here can sometimes be zero degrees F....a few years ago we saw some -15/20 F temps the first week of November. Last fall ( our first fall/winter with our class c) we made an insulated ( bubble foil insulation) divider, to separate the driver ( no insulation) area from the living area! Can be rolled-up and stored, when not in use.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Window covers , window blankets
you could open a booth at the next rv show . :B

I wonder if a covering like that would act as a storm window inside the window, to cut down on condensation. But I think it would need air space to work.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is not a fall mod, but ... I recently had our overhead cab forward facing window coated on the outside with plastic material so as to maybe help prevent a rock thrown from a tire from shattering this non-safety-glass window.

We had this happen once a long way from home and it wasn't pretty -> never again.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C