cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What glue to use?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I have a piece of trim coming loose on the side of my motorhome. It appears to be held on by adhesive. It's an 04 Fleetwood Revolution. Any idea what kind of adhesive to use to glue it back. It's a trim strip that is about 2 inches high, about 1/2 inch thick and runs most of the length of the motor home. It appears to be the same material as the side of the motorhome. An area about 3 inches is lifting. Thanks
Brian
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
the silverback wrote:
I have had good luck with Goop.

Ditto
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmeade wrote:
Years ago used 3M 1357 contact adhesive. Paint on the trim and on area of coach and when note paper will not stick then put on strip. You will need a chisel or pry bar to separate them.
That is a very old and very good adhesive. The interior panels of the presidential helicopters are all bonded with this contact adhesive. These were made in the early 70's when Gerald Ford was president.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago used 3M 1357 contact adhesive. Paint on the trim and on area of coach and when note paper will not stick then put on strip. You will need a chisel or pry bar to separate them.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive

This, or this tape. These are made for autobody applications. I've been painting cars and doing my own autobody work since the late '70s. 3M products are all I use.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I always have some 3m 5200 polyurethane adhesive in the freezer. I have successfully attached trim with it.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
We've had great success with double sided mounting tape - easy to apply. no mess and holds like iron. https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Exterior-Mounting-1-Inch-60-Inch/dp/B00004Z4BV/ref=pd_lpo_229_bs_lp_im...
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to a reputable body shop in my area and asked them up they use!

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive

can buy it in the auto body section at walmart i use it and it works great

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Goop or Shoe Goo for most things but judging from your description where the trim is coming loose I assume it is pulled away from your side wall and it needs some way to put pressure on it while it is curing. If you can't clamp it or brace it I would use a contact adhesive like Weldwood or 3M.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
I have a piece of trim coming loose on the side of my motorhome. It appears to be held on by adhesive. It's an 04 Fleetwood Revolution. Any idea what kind of adhesive to use to glue it back. It's a trim strip that is about 2 inches high, about 1/2 inch thick and runs most of the length of the motor home. It appears to be the same material as the side of the motorhome. An area about 3 inches is lifting. Thanks
Brian

Whatever you use just be sure to get the surface and parts clean - really clean - then any quality adhesive should work.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:

Agree, any kind of Goop will work.
2014 American Eagle

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
3M spray adhesive or equivalent. Use something with industrial strength like you can get from an auto body shop.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
the silverback wrote:

If you want it to stick and not come loose again GOOP
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C