cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this switch for? Coachmen Laprechaun

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
there is an on/off rocker switch just above electric mirror adjustment mechanism on the left side drivers door. I have scoured the manual and can't for the life of me figure out what it's for. Anyone have any ideas?
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD
12 REPLIES 12

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
NWnative wrote:

Yep...that is the switch. I am thinking you are right on track with it.

The other people responding are also correct. The switch can be repurposed into virtually anything. I don't have heated mirrors, but I do have the switch, so I wired it as another switch for the floor courtesy lighting in the coach.

I don't personally like it as a heated mirror switch since I feel that function should be on some sort of a timer to avoid damage to the heating element.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
I'm still going with it being a dummy switch...if we are talking about the same switch, that is....single plastic rocker switch, half red, half black. That's not to say that some manufacturers will repurpose that switch for another function, such as heated mirrors, however OEM, that switch was meant to control the light in the rear of a cargo van.

Either way, there are so many variables across different coach manufacturers, it would not surprise me in the least that the same switch has different functions on different units.

Yep...that is the switch. I am thinking you are right on track with it.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm still going with it being a dummy switch...if we are talking about the same switch, that is....single plastic rocker switch, half red, half black. That's not to say that some manufacturers will repurpose that switch for another function, such as heated mirrors, however OEM, that switch was meant to control the light in the rear of a cargo van.

Either way, there are so many variables across different coach manufacturers, it would not surprise me in the least that the same switch has different functions on different units.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I was out camping this weekend and am just now following up. I will check next time the mirrors are fogged up to see if it defrosts them. If not.....the I am guessing it's just there to annoy me as Mocoondo mentioned. If that is the case....I will find a way to put it to good use.

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
Heated mirrors
Paul T

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2008 chassis, that switch is red and is for the heated mirrors. We have the stock mirrors.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
That switch on mine is to control my heated mirrors. I have the Velvac aftermarket mirrors. Maybe that makes a difference.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Subguy has it right. Heated mirrors.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of Ford 450 chassis have that rocker switch. It is actually the courtesy light switch on a Ford 450 van with sliding door. If the chassis became a cargo van, there would be a courtesy light inside the cargo compartment. When the sliding door is opened, that light would come on, so long as the switch is in the ON position.

On a coach conversion, that switch is just there to annoy you because it has no function unless it has been wired to control something else. I don't like dummy switches, so I wired mine to be an additional switch to operate the floor courtesy lights throughout the interior of the coach. This way, when it is dark back there and I am in the driver's seat, I can just flip the switch and illuminate the three floor lights so I don't break my neck walking through a dark coach at night.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Is it red?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I "assume" subyguy was correct and it is not a left - right selector for the mirror adjustments.
bumpy

Subyguy
Explorer
Explorer
It's for the heated mirrors