cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is too hot

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Using a tire minder, or any other tire pressure/temp monitor, what is too hot for a temp reading. Not looking for reason, low pressure sunny side or near exhaust etc. just what be considered too hot for a reading?
10 REPLIES 10

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Not sure what the temp is, but if they hit 150 I would be slowing down!

Actually, I would STOP and check for bad wheel bearing, brakes hanging up, etc.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ve yet to have mine get over 120 even on 95+ degree days! Not sure what the temp is, but if they hit 150 I would be slowing down!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
I measure the parking lot temp as well as the tires. No point getting worried about tread/sidewall temps of 140-150 if the sun has the surface at 140+ degrees on those 90 degree afternoons.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
My TST sytem will alarm at 157 degrees, have had it go off once on my truck when a brake pad stuck and got the brakes too hot radiating into the wheel & tire. Let me know I had a problem that I was able to fix. Highest I normally will see in Arizona during the summer while driving is mid 120 degrees.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I no longer use a tire monitor system.. I find they are more trouble than they are worth.

I use new Michelins, keep the proper inflation pressure, and coat the interior with tire slime.

I run 100 PSI and feel each tire at every stop, each tire should feel very close to the same.

no system will save you from a catastrophic tire failure, a slow leak will show in heat.

there are several tire within a tire systems investigate those options.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
hohenwald48 wrote:
I have no idea what temp would be considered high. Of course it would vary based on many changing conditions. I just look for all to be in the same general area. If one was noticeably higher than the rest I'd investigate the reason.

This is what I do. If all tires are running about the same, then it should be good (or you have a major issue). If one tire is significantly higher (or lower) than the others, then it's time to get it checked.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Googling the question says 195 to 200 F is the upper limit. But that seems way too hot to me.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea what temp would be considered high. Of course it would vary based on many changing conditions. I just look for all to be in the same general area. If one was noticeably higher than the rest I'd investigate the reason.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a IR temp gun on the side of my tires near the treadโ€ฆ easiest place to temp the inside dual and highest temp Iโ€™ve seen is 140. Not sure of the relationship of the temp at a valve stem and the side of the tire. Have read that you should start worrying at 180 but 150 would worry me based on many years of checking.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your tires are inflated to the proper PSI, based on a verified weight of your coach, any increase in temperature is easily handled by the tire design. If your tires are underinflated they will usually get hotter than if properly inflated.
They sell an inexpensive ($20) laser temperature gun that can be used to check your tire temperature after a run.
Some people try to avoid getting their coach weighed and try to "guess" at what the correct tire pressure should be and then want to guess how hot their tire will get. Do it right and eliminate the guessing. Your coach will ride better, tires will last longer, and you will have the best braking and driving traction when properly inflated.