cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What trip planned do you use

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening everyone. I have tried to use the Good Sam Trip Planner. AsI type this I am at my campsite in Bushnell, FL, in my Class C. The C has been such a great winter home for almost 3 months. I do a lot of trip planning while out in the C.
Was wondering which trip planner do you use?
How much trip planning do you do whild on the road in the C.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
19 REPLIES 19

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. DDDUUUHHHH, I don't know why, but I had kinda drifted away from the atlas and state maps. And you won't go wrong using a state map. I will be going through my pile of state maps.
2gypsies, I too, like to hit the back roads. That is where you see real America.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I've always started with a good road atlas or individual state map. It's a lot easier to see what's out there and the road directions than using a computer-based trip planner. When we get the route defined then I put it in the GPS.

You'd never see anything if you just put in from A to B and take off. We like to meander the secondary roads.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
I figure out how far I want to go in a given day, find a nearby town and search for amenities nearby. Do this for each leg of the trip in advance. It's always worked well for me.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Rand McNally Large Scale road atlas, AAA tourbooks, Google maps, etc. For me, the lower-tech (or at least lower-integration) approach seems to work out pretty well. Often the planning is only in rather broad strokes (i.e. destinations and a rough idea of a possible route), with more specific routing and such being figured out on the day of travel.

For weekend trips, often the planning is dictated by what state parks in the area have sites available that look reasonable for my RV...and have hiking trails or whatever available that look reasonable to me.

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Good Sam planner. It worked well for me when I took a trip,from FL to NY and back. I plan all my trips before I leave home.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds