cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel "Simulators" (covers) on Duallies

Tonijim
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone else had problems with "simulators" (e.g. covers) detaching from rear dual wheels on Class C's? We have lost two from two different rigs.-both on the right side. The first on a BT Cruiser might have been as a result of a incidental contact with a stone wall perhaps knocking the unit out of round, while the second (a 2010 Four Winds) is a total mystery. We even secured the other with a bungee. Only noticed it missing after a day long drive - just hope no one was injured behind us when it detached

We were able to get a replacement simulator on line

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim
29 REPLIES 29

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wheel simulators are an all-around bad idea. They can rattle, they can come loose, they can cut valve stems, they can cut fingers while checking tire pressure, and they can hold heat in the brakes. Pitch 'em!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Chevrolet has a nice set up to work with unlike Ford. Ford wheels on my motorhome will not accept center only hub caps.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ericsmith32 wrote:
Sometimes I get to thinking the full wheel cover looks nice. But with the inability to reach the valve stems and possibly loosing them and some serious $$ makes me grateful this is all ours has. Do need to get at least one as one has a crack.

This is a NICE looking setup. Easy to clean, easy to check pressures, not much to go wrong.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I lost one off a rear wheel years ago. I decided I would just remove the other one. Now I have a spare in case I lose one off a front wheel.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tonijim wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with "simulators" (e.g. covers) detaching from rear dual wheels on Class C's? We have lost two from two different rigs.-both on the right side. The first on a BT Cruiser might have been as a result of a incidental contact with a stone wall perhaps knocking the unit out of round, while the second (a 2010 Four Winds) is a total mystery. We even secured the other with a bungee. Only noticed it missing after a day long drive - just hope no one was injured behind us when it detached

We were able to get a replacement simulator on line

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim

Departure of the right rear wheel liner is almost always a result of tapping a curb.

Perick
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our class C in December and drove it home from Texas, we had all 4 simulators on. By the time we got home to Indiana, we had lost the right rear one. (I'm guessing in Illinois or Indiana since both state's interstates are awful compared to Texas or Arkansas)
After seeing what a replacement set would run, and knowing I'd probably lose some of them as well, I decided to try something else.

The rears both looked like this after I cleaned them with an SOS pad:

Then I painted them with Rustoleum performance wheel paint. (Pardon the overspray, my cardboard moved when I went over those spots. These tires only have another year or so left in them anyway.)

Now I don't have to deal with simulators falling off and I can check my soon to be install Crossfire system easily.

Ponderosa
Explorer
Explorer
ericsmith32 wrote:
Sometimes I get to thinking the full wheel cover looks nice. But with the inability to reach the valve stems and possibly loosing them and some serious $$ makes me grateful this is all ours has. Do need to get at least one as one has a crack.

I rented a C in Alaska a few years back and they had taken off the wheel covers. I did the same when I got back. It is much easier to check the air pressure. As for looks, who cares? Function triumphs.
2015 Thor Windsport 32N

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
DaCrema wrote:

An yes, I am sure someone tried to swipe mine. You can see the marks on the tire and wheel cover where they tried to pry them off like a hubcap. Guess I will be painting wheels now.

They probably thought you had the hubcap style, and not the ones that are actually bolted on.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 07 Lazy Daze built on a E-450. I have had no trouble with the K-II wheel simulators coming off but just last week someone tried to steal one. It is all bent now and will not sit on the wheel properly. Good thing I visually check of the RV's tires and compartments before each drive.
I have the wheels with several round holes like the earlier E-450s and in late 07 or 08 Ford switched to the oval hole wheels. The simulators on our RV are held on by two stud extenders bolted to the wheel lugs 180 deg opposite each other. Each extender has a cap nut that holds the wheel simulator in place.
I have heard of people loosing simulators on the LD forum. Usually after tire work when someone not familiar with mounting puts them back on.
An yes, I am sure someone tried to swipe mine. You can see the marks on the tire and wheel cover where they tried to pry them off like a hubcap. Guess I will be painting wheels now.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our E-450 is a 2008 with the 4 oval openings on the simulators. They are a bear to get off. I have to use the tire iron that came with the motorhome to pry them off. I don't know about older models, but I can't imagine these could come off driving down the road unless they were not put on properly.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer

2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I took mine off after the first trip. It means I can check pressures easily and quickly with no need for extenders or special stems - just a long straight on gauge.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Mich F wrote:
It seems that we are talking about different products here. Some are talking of full wheel simulators, which are physically secured by nuts, while other full wheel simulators are held on by retainers, similar to a car hub cap. You can lose the latter easily, and in my opinion you would be foolish to attach any kind of valve extender to these. Other people seem to be referring to regular hub caps, which obviously only cover the hub. :?

That seems to be the problem when this subject comes up.

Some people call them simulators when they are really hubcaps or wheel covers Like this

A real simulator bolts on the wheel and will not come off unless you loose a Lug nut
Like This

Or extender

So which one do you have??

had no isea there were so many ways to bling your wheels. i just spray painted the rusty brown protruding rear hubs and front indented hubs a sandy color to sorta go with the RV decals
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
just look real close at the side of the road for replacements. Saw 2 rears and 1 front on I10 a week or so ago by Eloy. I have alcoa wheels so dont have the loss problem so I didn't stop.