cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who takes a motorcycle with them

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody here carry a big bike in a cruiser lift or hydra lift? I'm thinking about getting one and would like to hear from those who have them. Pros and cons, which would you recommend, etc. I'm kinda leaning toward the Cruiserlift. I think the winch may have less potential for problems than hydraulics.
36 REPLIES 36

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Supercharged wrote:
I carry a 250 cc scooter.

What type of set-up carrier did you go with, Superchargerd?

Do you use a cover on the scooter, or leave it in the elements?

The Honda Ruckus is the size scooter that I am zeroing-in on for a quick hop to the library, grocery store or Walmart wherever I'm parked.

I used to carry a TW 200 Yamaha on this hauler that I built. Too bad you're too far away, I'm going to put this one up for sale 'cause it just doesn't get used any more. It's got a receiver on it too for towing while hauling. It worked flawless.
Scott

Scott,
Thank you for your post/pictures!

That's right-up my alley of usefulness on my Class C. That's a nice looking rack you have there. I'm sure you can get a good bit of interest on the RV section of your local CL (craigslist)!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Supercharged wrote:

The Honda Ruckus is the size scooter that I am zeroing-in on for a quick hop to the library, grocery store or Walmart wherever I'm parked.

I used to carry a TW 200 Yamaha on this hauler that I built. Too bad you're too far away, I'm going to put this one up for sale 'cause it just doesn't get used any more. It's got a receiver on it too for towing while hauling. It worked flawless.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
dan23 wrote:
I'll add my two cents because I solved the issue of carrying a motorcycle with me a bit differently than any of the posts so far. The closest is the guy who carries a scooter.

At first, I looked at power lifts and decided the weight with mc and cost of the lift seemed silly and unworkable, so I rejected that solution.

Then I looked at trailers and nearly bought one, but decided against it because of the hassles of towing, plus pretty much always needing a pull-through site... rejected that idea, too. Extra size can quickly shut you out of your preferred camp grounds if you're not careful.

Then one day I was looking through on-line ads and found a nice used Kawasaki KLR for far less than the cost either a trailer or a lift, and bought it. Then I got a 600 pound rated carrier that cost less than a third of either a lift or a trailer. I sometimes pull the front of the mh up on a block to lower the carrier so it's easy for my wife and me to push it up and tie it down. Problem solved.

In addition, I now have another choice of motorcycle, and more choices of where to ride, etc. and have not had so much fun motorcycling since my high school days when every manufacturer sold a version of so-called street-scrambler motorcycles. It's a lot easier to find low-traffic areas to ride and KLRs are famous for ease of care, eliminating the need for a cover when transporting it, although I do cover it in camp.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this, but to me, possessions can possess their owners and trying to carry one of my other motorcycles would leave me in that situation. Which is why I do without slides and a towed car, too.

This IN BOLD, hits the nail on the head for me too. I am in the market for some sort of carrier that would carry a scooter like the Honda Ruckus. I just need/want something smallish and easy to go just a very few miles on surface streets/State/National Parks from the RV while in any area. I do not want to tow a car.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Flanz wrote:
Fire....Since you did buy one, did you use it while travelling with the MH?

If so, how did it work out? Did it create any issues/concerns to the MC while in motion? I know you said it "touched" the MC, but overall did it perform okay and cause NO damage to the MC?

Was it just the fact that it was advertised that it wouldn't touch the bike an issue?

Just trying to become informed....

Flanz,
No Sir, I didn't travel one inch with that cover in place. Because it touched the painted surfaces in so many points, and even a couple of chrome garnishments here and there, I knew for a fact that all those touch points would have done some intense harm, by the time we drove our first 100 miles. So, to answer your question, nope, the rig never even pulled out of our home with it on.

As for the cover you do see on there, It's made by "Ultrgard" and, it's manufactured as a travel cover for a bike of that size and nature. It's real thick and doesn't flop around in the breeze/currents/turbulence back there. That cover doesn't move one micro-inch. It's a bit of a pain to install but, it's the best that can be done, in that kind of a situation.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Fire....Since you did buy one, did you use it while travelling with the MH?

If so, how did it work out? Did it create any issues/concerns to the MC while in motion? I know you said it "touched" the MC, but overall did it perform okay and cause NO damage to the MC?

Was it just the fact that it was advertised that it wouldn't touch the bike an issue?

Just trying to become informed....

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Flanz wrote:
Hello,

I'm also leaning towards a Hydralift to carry my Road Glide Ultra. Looking around at this moment for a used.

Someone mentioned covering the MC while travelling. Hydralift offers an enclosure that can be used while driving and at the campground. Although I haven't really looked at it it may be an option.

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/accessories/enclosure/

Comments?

Flanz,
Well Sir, I've got direct experience with all that you ask. Yep, the Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market, without a doubt. But, there's one flaw in them, THEY'RE VERY PROWD OF THEM! They are pretty pricey, as you most likely know. But, we too looked around for a used one and found it on ebay. We live in San Diego and the Wife found it on ebay in Scottsdale AZ.

Well, a phone call to the owner, some questions, negotiations, and, a deal was made. ROAD TRIP!! We picked it up for $1800.00, complete. I did the install which, was fun but, tactical.

When it was all said and done, it worked absolutely flawless. We used it for over 8,000 miles of traveling on an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330 CAT. None of the so called "Ill Fated" problems EVER cropped up. No ill handling, no porpoising, no wandering, no LIFTING OF THE FRONT END, no damage to the coach or frame, NOTHING.

Now, you mention the "Garage cover" that Hydralift sells as an accomplishment/augmentation to their lift. Well I purchased one. Hydralifts claim to fame on this product is, it's a NO TOUCH cover. In that, it's not supposed to touch any portion of the bike, NO MATTER WHAT BIKE YOU'VE GOT ON THEIR LIFT, AT ALL!!!

Well, I did the install of that cover. I will give them this, It's a nice cover, well built, a very good thought process, well designed and, yes, with just a little bit of effort, it's completely removable from the lift and can be used as a great cover, that basically seals the bike to the ground, when camping/traveling/at home and more.

But, we have an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing and, that cover, when installed and adjusted as they instruct, STILL TOUCHED the bike/painted surfaces, IN MULTIPLE PLACES!! I called them and talked with the top two techs, several times and, they simply said I had no idea how to adjust it and, they have several Gold Wing owners that are having no problem in "touching" the bike with that cover.

Well, after about 45 year of fabricating, engine building, welding, metal working, wood working, plastic welding, motor home repair/vehicle repair/motorcycle repair, and a whole host more of items and accomplishments in my life, I figured I was fairly competent in "ADJUSTING" a simple cover to get to be "touch free".

Well, no matter how I adjusted it, in every way and manor it could be adjusted, it still touched the bike, in multiple places. So, with some serious argument, I got them to take it back but, not without some "install" costs to me. That is, since it had been installed, and there were signs of it, I would not get a full refund. I was so tired of arguing with them, I gave in.

Anyway, like stated, it's a great cover but, not for a bike the size of at least our Gold wing. Now, just how much different a full dress Harley is, in dimensions, ANY dimensions, one would have to pull a dresser up next to a Goldwing to really get a good comparison. That cover cost me about, $1,000.00, if I recall.

So, that's my story on it.
Scott

This is a picture of a "travel cover" that is NOT the cover from Hydralift.

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I'm also leaning towards a Hydralift to carry my Road Glide Ultra. Looking around at this moment for a used.

Someone mentioned covering the MC while travelling. Hydralift offers an enclosure that can be used while driving and at the campground. Although I haven't really looked at it it may be an option.

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/accessories/enclosure/

Comments?

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add my two cents because I solved the issue of carrying a motorcycle with me a bit differently than any of the posts so far. The closest is the guy who carries a scooter.

At first, I looked at power lifts and decided the weight with mc and cost of the lift seemed silly and unworkable, so I rejected that solution.

Then I looked at trailers and nearly bought one, but decided against it because of the hassles of towing, plus pretty much always needing a pull-through site... rejected that idea, too. Extra size can quickly shut you out of your preferred camp grounds if you're not careful.

Then one day I was looking through on-line ads and found a nice used Kawasaki KLR for far less than the cost either a trailer or a lift, and bought it. Then I got a 600 pound rated carrier that cost less than a third of either a lift or a trailer. I sometimes pull the front of the mh up on a block to lower the carrier so it's easy for my wife and me to push it up and tie it down. Problem solved.

In addition, I now have another choice of motorcycle, and more choices of where to ride, etc. and have not had so much fun motorcycling since my high school days when every manufacturer sold a version of so-called street-scrambler motorcycles. It's a lot easier to find low-traffic areas to ride and KLRs are famous for ease of care, eliminating the need for a cover when transporting it, although I do cover it in camp.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this, but to me, possessions can possess their owners and trying to carry one of my other motorcycles would leave me in that situation. Which is why I do without slides and a towed car, too.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
I just hauled my R1200GS in the back of the pickup from Ohio to Florida. It was yucky when we left and didn't get out of the salt until Kentucky. No corrosion except on a couple of zinc covered fasteners. I used the S100 to clean it when I got to FL. Good to go. Bike was not covered in truck. We are staying 2 blocks from the beach. I imagine I'll get more salt exposure here than enroute.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
So big a world, so little time to see.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tim,
Thanks for the nice comment. I really liked hauling the Goldwing on the back of the coach. We had no issues what so ever but, things changed and, we wanted a different toad, a truck, so, we moved on to the Rampage Lift and now put the bike in the back of our GMC Sierra.

Now, as for protecting your "vulnerable parts" on the bike. I've buffed and polished a few hundred miles of aluminum, stainless and more and, you say you're concerned about going to Florida from your residence? Now, unless you get the bike completely coated with salt, and the go by way of Russia, Novi Scotia, Japan, Austrailia, Cuba and into Florida that way, I'd just about bet that you'd have no tarnishment, corrosion etc. on any exposed aluminum in that short of a time.

It's definitely your machine and you certainly can protect it as you see but, you may be over thinking this. Just an opinion here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, thanks for the info. I think having the bike on the back of our Ford Ranger would expose it to quite a bit of wind, buffeting etc.
Truth be told, if lucky, we'd have dry sailing form Ct to Fl.and no protection needed. But......
Now, I'm thinking about another approach. No cover, but apply something like S100 corrosion protector on exposed parts that I'm concerned about,especially the rear aluminum rim.
BTW when I googled Ultraguard motorcycle covers "Ultragard" came up.
I think your cover was more than $49.95.:S
Maybe, someone has actually used the S100 corrosion protector and may have some feedback.
Thanks again for your reply. BTW your set up sure looked good.

FIRE UP wrote:
Tim fm ct,
Well Sir, this is a bit of a tough one. You see, in an enclosed trailer, it's not problem because, when you tie it down, the tie downs do not get in the way of a cover because there's no need for a cover INSIDE the trailer.

But, when you tie a bike down, either on a lift, like what I and many had and presently have, and or, inside the back of a pickup, the tie downs get in the way of really cinching down a good cover. Ultraguard makes a travel cover that has multiple straps, buckles, gathering points etc. that really make it snug to the bike. It even has little "slits" in it for possible places to run "some" tie downs through it.

Well, that's perfectly fine if, IF, your tie downs just happen to be placed on the bike and, tie to whatever you're tying to, in just the right spot. But, as in our case, they (all 6 tie downs) were no where near the slits provided so, that makes for a very difficult time to really "seal" up a bike to keep it from the elements/dirt/debris/salt/rain/ etc.

That cover, is by far, the best travel cover made. It's about as thick as a real good sleeping bag. And, it conforms to multiple, normal protrusions like the windshield, handle bars etc. And because of the multiple buckles and cinch points, it really CAN snug up extra tight so there's no possibility "etching" of the paint. This is not a flimsy "throw over" cover just to keep the sun off. This cover means business.

But, if one gets one of these covers, then a good upholsterer is needed to "fit" that cover on your bike, with tie downs in place so that appropriate slits can be inserted and then "Button hole stitched" to keep them from running or un-raveling.

The other problem is, even if you were to get that Ultraguard cover and, have it modified to accept all your tie downs, the problem is, install it and working with it in the confined space(s) between the bike and the side beds, and front. I know because I tried it. Other than an enclosed trailer, it's pretty tough to really seal a bike, especially a large cruiser, i.e. Goldwing, Harley Street or Ultra Glide, Yamaha Venture full dresser and more to the point that there's no possible infiltration of the exterior elements and contaminates. Good luck.
Scott
Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Fire ups cover looks like a good idea. Why not sew on a fabric tube to connect to an air scoop on the roof by the ladder, to pressurize the cover with clean air?