cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who weighs?

tstryk
Explorer
Explorer
I have had this motorhome for 8 years and have never weighed it. I just kept a certain pressure in the tires. I know this goes against the grain to some on here. I just want to see how many of you actually weigh your rig and adjust air pressure accordingly and how many just keep their tires aired to a given pressure.
2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PDQ
2014 Ford Fiesta frog
Tucker the schnauzer, Buddy and Cooper the labs
49 REPLIES 49

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
...I have by axels not side by side...

Same here, and will get four corners weighed at a rally next month.
2014 American Eagle

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed it when I first purchased it when we were loaded for a trip with full fuel. I got the weight of each axle at Flying J. I found out that the pressure in the rear tires was too high for the weight. I run 110 in front and 90 in the rear.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We get weighed at every rally as we tend to move things around in the storage bays. Four corner weights do not change much and we always adjust tire pressure to match weights based on Michelin tire charts. We also used a TPMS. Got 80,000 miles out last set of tires before they aged out. Still had 7/32 left.

tstryk wrote:
I have had this motorhome for 8 years and have never weighed it. I just kept a certain pressure in the tires. I know this goes against the grain to some on here. I just want to see how many of you actually weigh your rig and adjust air pressure accordingly and how many just keep their tires aired to a given pressure.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We do. About once per year. We are over 800 pounds on the rear axle and pretty much right on the front. Pressures adjusted accordingly.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

FC
Explorer
Explorer
I had our MH weighed when new at a Moving Company that have their own scales for weighing their trailers. The scale was set perfectly with the ground so i was able to get an accurate 4 corner weight of the motorhome. I think I paid about $20
Later at an RV rally we had the Ministry of Transport on site with their portable 4 corner scales and the numbers confirmed what I had found from the original weigh in. In each case the fuel tank was almost full and the water tank was about 25%, which is the way I travel.
They also weighed the 4 corners of the Toad so I had an accurate weight for the new toad as well.
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed the truck and fifth wheel once, and discovered it was 3/4 of a ton over GCWR (truck).
I have never weighed the coach, and don't plan to. I tow the Jeep, and have never weighed it. I have the towbar for the truck, and will be getting it set up for towing soon. No, I have not weighed it, but I might do it just for information.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
While parked at one truck stop I watched as one RV got weighed on the truck scale. Apparently the owner talked the scale operator into weighing the four corners.
As he put first the front and then the rear wheel on the scale, the coach was LEANING way to the passenger side. Then he turned the coach around and backed up on to the scales, this time LEANING way to the driver's side.
The ONLY way to get an accurate corner weight is for the coach to remain perfectly level while on the scales. Any lean by the RV away from the scale will make the weight given useless.
If the owner of the RV I watched then adjusted his air pressure to the scale weight he was given, he drove off with all four tires severely underinflated.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Never been able to find a scale that would allow me to weigh all four corners individually. However, I have weighed front and rear axles while loaded as we typically are loaded for a trip. In my case, I found that I had good amount of headroom remining on my weight capacities on both axles.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed mine fully loaded 4 corners. I go to the local farm co-op and can only get 4 corners in cold weather when the side curbs are removed. (snow plows) I have removed a lot of extra stuff since then but they have the curbs in place already so I will stick with the old ones. I was a little light on RF so just keep DW sitting all the time. We have the supposed light weight W22 and I still had 1000# to hit the limit.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
When I owned gassers, I must admit I didn't pay close attention to my coach's weight. But, when I got my DP, I figured it was time to start weighing. According to my weight figures, I could be carrying 85 psi in my tires (Michelin XZA3 275x80Rx22.5) according to the charts, but I decided to give myself a little safety margin and I carry 95 psi all around. Just had a new set of Michelin's put on last week and had the dealer put 95 psi in them.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The weight of our coach changes too much for the weight to be accurate. We seldom spend more than a few days at a locations so we are constantly burning fuel(50+ pounds per hour). We also travel mostly during the Winter months so we are using our fresh water tank instead of hooking up to park water. This means that our water weight(500 pounds) is constantly shifting from the fresh tank to the black and gray tanks. Then, of course we are using our food supplies and replenishing them on a regular basis. Basically, since the weight is constantly changing while we are on the road, getting it weighed is only a temporary indication of what is going on. Not worth the hassle for me and certainly something that cannot accurately be used to determine tire pressure.

The constant change are you talking about is insignificant in the whole scheme of things.
That's why you weigh the coach when you have a fuel fuel tank, full fresh water and loaded for a trip. That will give you pretty much the 'heaviest' weight on any corner.

As you use fuel and transfer water to the other tanks, your tire pressure will be at the max weight when you weighed it from the start. All the tires on any axle will be inflated to the higher pressure for the heavier weight on the side that weighs more.

Our coach weighs more on the passenger side so I inflated all the tires on the axle per the heavier weight per the Michelin charts. I don't think anybody would want to run a tire under pressure for any length of time as the repercussions can be so expensive.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Who Weighs.. I do not recommend CAT SCALEs I do recommend a farmer's elevator or a junk yard or other place with a FLAT scale (Cat Scales are Bridge Scales).

Oh, you meant who puts their motor home on a sacle.. Well ME for one.

I went with Aweigh-We-Go find them by going to www.rvsafety.com They bring the scales to you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dnrnhrd
Explorer
Explorer
No- $200 was one I found awhile ago- they wanted $250- offered 200...
I just kept watching.

Never had the DP, or any other motor home, on the scales. Didn't see any point because no matter what the scales said I was going on down the road. Weighed my F-350 once with the trailer and it was 22,500lbs or so and I pull the same trailer with the DP.....Tires are inflated to the manufacturers specs, 110lbs. I average about 12,000mi a year I think, most towing the trailer. According to some of the experts on here I do nothing right but, It works for me.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
dnrnhrd wrote:
Wife and I are planning on traveling 3-6 months out of the year after she retires next year. Looked for a place to weigh all 4 corners- and found no place near, so I invested ($200, ebay) in one of these- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intercomp-PT-300-100127-Wheel-Load-Weigher-Portable-truck-Scale-Qty-4-1-Works-/350858402936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b0ca5c78. (Don't know how to make clicky). Figure I can weigh once or twice a year to be sure tire pressures are right and balanced.

:E That didn't come up as $200 on my end!
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53