cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Single A/C cut it?

mowdoc
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in a 37 foot toy hauler fiver (Keystone Fuzion) for 3 years. Most of the trips we take are extremely hot weather - over 100 degrees. Our toy hauler has two 15k A/C units and can't get more than 20 degrees under ambient. When it is 110 outside it is miserable inside.

We are looking at class A RVs now and would rather have one in the 29-31 foot range but those only offer single 13k A/C and 30 amp service. It seems to be around 33 feet where the manufacturers offer dual A/C with 50 amp service. I don't have room to park a 35 footer and a cargo trailer I will need for the toys with a class A.

My question is this - - do the 30 foot class A RVs cool well enough with only one small A/C unit?? I hate to spend 90 grand and still be hot.

BTW - we are looking at Fleetwood, Winnebago and one Jayco. Any comments are welcome good or bad.

Thanks
2015 Jayco Precept 35UN
named
"Free Range Chicken"
50 REPLIES 50

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
Hi,

As others have said, you want 2 A/C'S and 50 Amp service. Don't accept less. If you have the option of dual pane windows, get them as well.

Good Luck,

~Rick

Just goes to show you how many different ideas and opinions you can get with questions such as these.
Now with our 36ft and considering it's worth, we don't want duo pane windows to fog up and require expensive replacements. Also don't want a 50amp service with it big bulky cord. Instead, the EMS, coupled with my dual power adapter mod that allows me to plug into a private circuit for the rear ac, is sufficient and the gen set has it's own circuit as well. Also installed a 50amp plug on my cord, so no more plug burning from damaged campground outlets.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt I would be pleased with a 29'-31' with a single 13.3K OR 15K. We are 39' and sometimes both 13.5K is less than we prefer.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi,

As others have said, you want 2 A/C'S and 50 Amp service. Don't accept less. If you have the option of dual pane windows, get them as well.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

RobertL0 wrote:
1. Buy a 5000 BTU window AC locally, $125
2. When you get to you destination, install it in the emergency exit in your RV at the campsite. (you have already made a bracket from wood for this). Tape any "holes" with duct tape. Run the power cord outside through the same opening.
3. Plug into the pedestal and turn on the 2nd AC
4. If an emergency, push the AC out to the ground and bail out as usual
5. Enjoy.

mowdoc wrote:
We have been in

BTW - we are looking at Fleetwood, Winnebago and one Jayco. Any comments are welcome good or bad.

Thanks

I assume this was a joke ?? :h. I don't suggest anybody fills their emergency exits with big,bulky AC units....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RobertL0
Explorer
Explorer
1. Buy a 5000 BTU window AC locally, $125
2. When you get to you destination, install it in the emergency exit in your RV at the campsite. (you have already made a bracket from wood for this). Tape any "holes" with duct tape. Run the power cord outside through the same opening.
3. Plug into the pedestal and turn on the 2nd AC
4. If an emergency, push the AC out to the ground and bail out as usual
5. Enjoy.

mowdoc wrote:
We have been in

Thanks

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
mowdoc wrote:
WOW! - thanks for all the support and ideas. To put and end to this story I will say I bought a 36 foot Jayco Precept 35UN with dual A/C and 50 amp service yesterday. It did great on the test drive but ambient was only 86. I suspect it may have trouble as well at higher temps but i can "dump" the vent in bedroom to sleep and pull slides in at night if need be.

I came up with a plan to park a cargo trailer so I do have room for this rig at the house now.

Cheers!!

Wow!

Nice Rig
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mowdoc wrote:
WOW! - thanks for all the support and ideas. To put and end to this story I will say I bought a 36 foot Jayco Precept 35UN with dual A/C and 50 amp service yesterday. It did great on the test drive but ambient was only 86. I suspect it may have trouble as well at higher temps but i can "dump" the vent in bedroom to sleep and pull slides in at night if need be.

I came up with a plan to park a cargo trailer so I do have room for this rig at the house now.

Cheers!!

Night time shouldn't be a problem. It's the heat of the afternoon and especially after stopping and getting settled in. In fact, we have all the vents closed in the bedroom to force more air forward. This works much better for even temps. and considering that the BR is a much smaller area with a unit directly over top. These vents still leak enough air to cool the BR area, so works for us.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

mowdoc
Explorer
Explorer

Cheers!!
2015 Jayco Precept 35UN
named
"Free Range Chicken"

kiloo9
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with only one 15,000 BTU on a Holiday Rambler 30 footer. I resolved the problem buy installing a second AC unit in the bedroom and installed it to the ducked air. My rv came with a pre wired bedroom wiring for a second unit. the installation of the 10,000 btu unit and labor cost me less than $2,000 the bedroom unit works independent from the front unit.You can run both units when connected to Shore power. The geny would not run both units simultaneous but will run either one of them, by selecting either via selector switch. If interested i have additional info on the installation
"Freedom is not Free"
Ask a Veteran

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 31 foot Fleetwood Storm that came with only one 15k A/C. It could not keep up with Florida summers. So I installed a smaller A/C in the back and ran it to a box near my power center. I would then run a cord to the 20 amp outlet at any campground to complement the front A/C running on the 30 amp.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

MrWizard
basically..that is when you run the on board generator and A/C while traveling
so the RV is Not that Hot when you park
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Even when two will suffice in hot climates and arriving in late afternoon with all that chassis heat rising up through the floor, it sometimes won't get down to set point until after sun down.

MrWizard
Double post
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
maybe i missed it..but i didn't see it mentioned
but so many RVs come with slides today, and slides make a huge difference
much more exposed surface to the sun and the outside air
a 30ft NO slide can be comfortable with one mid mount A/c (two is no doubt better)
however having slides open means you need more A/C

i mean No way a 40ft with 3 slides is going too cool on only two A/C's
way too much exposed surface ..sides, thin top, floor open to outside hot air..sun shining all over it..

and a 31ft with a full slide OPEN, also needs more cooling

all the facts and conditions must be laid out,,to have proper knowledge and consideration
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s