cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will this rig get me thru the western mountains

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
Will I have enough power to travel in the western US?
My wife and I are thinking of buying a 2017 Georgetown, motor home, model 364TS by Forest River. This unit is 36 ft long and the GVWR is 22,00 lbs and the GCWR is 26,000 lbs. It has a Ford V10, 329 hp engine with a six speed transmission. We will be towing a 4,500 lb toad so I think all of our weights are in line with specifications. Has anyone had problems in the mountains with this size motor home, with the Ford V10, 329 hp engine and six speed transmission? What kind of actual mpg can I expect? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Grampy JD
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com
43 REPLIES 43

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Hudsoner wrote:

And I bet you never heard the V10 screaming at you with 6000 RPM.

Nope. Computer will not allow that. I have seen it some over 5K. It never screams.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
you like the price, buy it and enjoy your travels! MPG will be 8-12 MPG.

you aint never going to see a 38ft loaded V10 MH getting no 12MPG never mind 10 unless your on flat ground with a tail wind at 40MPH

Good thing the OP bought a 36 foot one then.

LOL and of course nor a 36 or a 35 or a 34 etc well iam sure u get the jift of things iam sure

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
you like the price, buy it and enjoy your travels! MPG will be 8-12 MPG.

you aint never going to see a 38ft loaded V10 MH getting no 12MPG never mind 10 unless your on flat ground with a tail wind at 40MPH

Good thing the OP bought a 36 foot one then.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Viewfinder wrote:
Can we go back to the op's question where the specs are given as a 22000 lb GVWR and a GCVWR of 26000 lbs with a 4500# toad? 22000 + 4500 = 26500 lbs which puts it over 26000 lbs. There is a good chance the hitch is only rated at 3500#. Be sure you check this ! Will you have enough engine? yes.

If I liked the floorplan, I would go for it and buy a smaller toad, and go have fun.

jim

500 lbs is nothing and they all come with 5 k hitches these days
plus how would u know if the MH was grossed out when hes towing?
maybe hes at 21K gross?? enough engine? beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
Can we go back to the op's question where the specs are given as a 22000 lb GVWR and a GCVWR of 26000 lbs with a 4500# toad? 22000 + 4500 = 26500 lbs which puts it over 26000 lbs. There is a good chance the hitch is only rated at 3500#. Be sure you check this ! Will you have enough engine? yes.

If I liked the floorplan, I would go for it and buy a smaller toad, and go have fun.

jim

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
I owned a 2000 Hurricane 29D. I don't remember passing any DPs (never drove in the Rockies with it), but I do remember the 6,000RPM screaming V-10 climbing the hills in the Ozarks. I never towed with it either.

Again, We have 2013 Allegro 36LA. Actual length is 36' 11". We tow about 4400. It is V10, 5 Star Tune, 24K Chassis, 5 speed with Tow/Haul.

We have passed many DP and on extreme grades been passed by some.

And I bet you never heard the V10 screaming at you with 6000 RPM.

I have a similar setup, but my motorhome is barely 31 feet long and I do not have any slide outs, which means, my unit has way less weight than yours. And this reduced weight might be the reason that DP's don't pass me. The speed for climbing up a hill is always a relation of weight to available power. And I bet many of those 500 hp + diesel pusher have more than double the weight of my unit, and their higher HP's are offset by their higher weight, and they might have quite a few HP's less per pound than my motorhome has.
and that difference of HP/lb might be enough that they do not even have an advantage over my unit in very high elevations.

And yes, I feel that the thread starter should not have any problem to climb the western mountains with a V10 propelled motorhome.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
I owned a 2000 Hurricane 29D. I don't remember passing any DPs (never drove in the Rockies with it), but I do remember the 6,000RPM screaming V-10 climbing the hills in the Ozarks. I never towed with it either.

Again, We have 2013 Allegro 36LA. Actual length is 36' 11". We tow about 4400. It is V10, 5 Star Tune, 24K Chassis, 5 speed with Tow/Haul.

passing a DP means nothing because 1) it maybe a old isb 250 or 275HP or 2) it maybe the one you passed is not trying to be the fastest on the road

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
JumboJet wrote:

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, no problem, congrats on your new coach.

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
Hudsoner wrote:
There you go, your engine was older than mine, and I bet you did not have a 5 Star tuning done to it, and I also bet that your son (if you have one) is a master mechanic with Ford, who keeps my engine in its top performance condition (and now he is thinking about to turbo charge it)

I do have a son but he is just "Shade Tree" mechanic certified. He has built a few Chevy 350's.

Other than my wife's Acura MDX, I had not driven a gas burner since 1999. Only driven Cummins diesel equipped pickups (owned 6 of them).

When I bought the 2000 Hurricane in 2013, at first I was frightened by the RPMs and the engine noise. Finally came to the realization that the V-10 was doing it's best and just let it scream! With the wind direction right and keeping the speed under 65 mph, on several trips to Florida, it would get 10-11 mpg. The V-10 did move that MH off the line much better than my DP.

I have a Ford F350 with the 7.3 l International Navistar diesel engine in it. But that engine has not as much power as the 6.8 l V10 in the Hurricane. But I also have to say that the Hurricane has a K&N ram type air intake and a Magnaflow exhaust system.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
There you go, your engine was older than mine, and I bet you did not have a 5 Star tuning done to it, and I also bet that your son (if you have one) is a master mechanic with Ford, who keeps my engine in its top performance condition (and now he is thinking about to turbo charge it)

I do have a son but he is just "Shade Tree" mechanic certified. He has built a few Chevy 350's.

Other than my wife's Acura MDX, I had not driven a gas burner since 1999. Only driven Cummins diesel equipped pickups (owned 6 of them).

When I bought the 2000 Hurricane in 2013, at first I was frightened by the RPMs and the engine noise. Finally came to the realization that the V-10 was doing it's best and just let it scream! With the wind direction right and keeping the speed under 65 mph, on several trips to Florida, it would get 10-11 mpg. The V-10 did move that MH off the line much better than my DP.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
The rev limiter is less than 6k on the 6.8. Just a wee bit of hype there.

Yes, 5300-5400. In today's world, anything can be true!

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:

LOL I hear and hype it is as this one also;
I am just back form a long trip through the Rockies and Cascade Mountains, and I never had any problem to get up and over them. In fact I mostly outran the diesel pushers and trucks. My gas mileage was around 8.5 mpg

or the one I love where the guy gets 12MPG

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...