cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windy Driving

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new Winnebago Sightseer 35G and have noticed that when driving, you really feel the bumps and rattles. Now I expect that because it rides high, I would expect some bumps and not a totally smooth ride. Also, when driving in any windy conditions(i.e. GT 15mph), it can feel like driving on ice at times. Any suggestions on how to handle this, other than "don't drive in wind"....I thought I read somewhere about some sort of stabilizer bar? Is it effective? Cost?

Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Just get some Air Tabs :E
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what rgatijnet1. It has nothing to do with where your engine is placed or what fuel you burn. Some coaches just handle well in wind. I have no problem in windy conditions and wind doesn't dictate my speed. I've crossed west Texas when gusts were 40 MPH without issues. I do have front and rear anti-sway bars and front air bags and travel at 65 mph. I'm comfortable in windy conditions.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Beacher wrote:
I'm very surprised that nobody has mentioned a Blue Ox TruCenter, or a Safe-T-Steer device.

They both precisely help in windy conditions, (and in the event of a tire blowout), (assuming your alignment, sway bars, and tire pressure are good).
I bought the Steer Safe device (similar to the Safe-T-Steer) and installed it on my old Fleetwood Storm. I noticed no improvement with them rather than without them. Personally, I felt very let down but I kept them on to help in the case of a blow out.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Beacher
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
...Living in Southern Calif it is not unusual to have winds in the 25mph range and gusts in the OMG range.....

+1

I really appreciate the accurate description, "OMG range" when driving through the Palm Springs area!;)

The 11 o'clock news occasionally shows RVs and freight trucks on their side in this area.:E

Beacher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very surprised that nobody has mentioned a Blue Ox TruCenter, or a Safe-T-Steer device.

They both precisely help in windy conditions, (and in the event of a tire blowout), (assuming your alignment, sway bars, and tire pressure are good).

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
weigh the 4 corners of your rig and adjust your tire pressure
2009 Challenger

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Getting up before sunrise will SOMETIMES offer less windy conditions" Well that isn't going to work for me I don't do early.
One point this is a new coach get the alignment done with a full load just like you were going on the road. Set your tier pressure based on weight and the tier manufactures tables. Drive it if you don't have experience with a Class A you will need time to get use to how it drives.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
kalynzoo wrote:
Slow down is really the best advise. Living in Southern Calif it is not unusual to have winds in the 25mph range and gusts in the OMG range. Your driving a high profile, higher center of gravity, vehicle than your car or van. The wind makes a big difference, regardless of all the ad-ons people will try to sell. Just slow down. At 55mph I find than I am comfortable in most wind conditions. On occasion on the Pearblossom Highway or over the Canejo Pass where gusty winds can and have turned over semis, slowing down to 45mph keeps me comfortably on the road. I've seen RV's pushing their speed in these areas, passing me at 70+mph. Later I have seen a few off to the side with their awnings torn apart.
The trip should be part of the vacation and part of the fun, so slow down and enjoy the scenery...even if it is just the same old desert along I-5.
Happy Trails.

One of the reasons I went to a MH from a FW is wind. There is sound reasoning in a swaying RV whether a pull behind or drivable that dictates how fast you go. If RV.net-ers need to advise you to slow down, then you need to reevaluate your driving skills. That said, I am sure you DON'T need us telling you what you already know; windy driving is a real PIA. On the other side of the coin, I am one of those that will continue on at 70mph in the wind. No awning damage, not unsafe, and completely in control. My pusher handles the wind very well. But this comes at a price. I was not aware that there is such a disparity in the way a front engine handles vs a pusher.

My front engine gasser handles the wind just fine. All I have to do is inflate the air bags up to 80psi, and I can handle the heavy winds without undue stress. I do not have a trac bar and see no reason to install one. I have also had a DP and had no serious problems in high winds. Since we travel a lot in the Great Plains states, especially during the Winter months, high winds are a daily occurrence. You get used to driving with the winds, or you sit for days waiting for a lull in the winds, that might not come for a long time.
Getting up before sunrise will SOMETIMES offer less windy conditions, but from my own observations, not too many people want to get up early to travel. I also notice no difference with or without the toad. Life is too short for me to sit around waiting for ideal weather because I don't know how to handle my coach.
I think the OP would agree with all of you. If you read his original post, I think you'll find that he's simply looking for ideas on how to improve the situation, not avoid it entirely.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dubdub07 wrote:
kalynzoo wrote:
Slow down is really the best advise. Living in Southern Calif it is not unusual to have winds in the 25mph range and gusts in the OMG range. Your driving a high profile, higher center of gravity, vehicle than your car or van. The wind makes a big difference, regardless of all the ad-ons people will try to sell. Just slow down. At 55mph I find than I am comfortable in most wind conditions. On occasion on the Pearblossom Highway or over the Canejo Pass where gusty winds can and have turned over semis, slowing down to 45mph keeps me comfortably on the road. I've seen RV's pushing their speed in these areas, passing me at 70+mph. Later I have seen a few off to the side with their awnings torn apart.
The trip should be part of the vacation and part of the fun, so slow down and enjoy the scenery...even if it is just the same old desert along I-5.
Happy Trails.

One of the reasons I went to a MH from a FW is wind. There is sound reasoning in a swaying RV whether a pull behind or drivable that dictates how fast you go. If RV.net-ers need to advise you to slow down, then you need to reevaluate your driving skills. That said, I am sure you DON'T need us telling you what you already know; windy driving is a real PIA. On the other side of the coin, I am one of those that will continue on at 70mph in the wind. No awning damage, not unsafe, and completely in control. My pusher handles the wind very well. But this comes at a price. I was not aware that there is such a disparity in the way a front engine handles vs a pusher.

WW

My front engine gasser handles the wind just fine. All I have to do is inflate the air bags up to 80psi, and I can handle the heavy winds without undue stress. I do not have a trac bar and see no reason to install one. I have also had a DP and had no serious problems in high winds. Since we travel a lot in the Great Plains states, especially during the Winter months, high winds are a daily occurrence. You get used to driving with the winds, or you sit for days waiting for a lull in the winds, that might not come for a long time.
Getting up before sunrise will SOMETIMES offer less windy conditions, but from my own observations, not too many people want to get up early to travel. I also notice no difference with or without the toad. Life is too short for me to sit around waiting for ideal weather because I don't know how to handle my coach.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
Happy Trails.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Trails.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a front engine thing? Because I have no such issue in feeling bumps or wander.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 37' Adventurer was a nightmare to drive in anything beyond a whisper of a breeze. Took it to a great RV / Truck operation (that advertises on this website) in Redlands, Ca. Everything that can be done, they have done to it. Tire pressure was significantly lowered, front in alignment, etc. All available aftermarket products. Rides better, but still not what I'd like. I definitely slow down when she starts acting squirrelly. If windy conditions are expected, I wait until they subside. The Redlands operation has sister operations in Washington state & Redding, Ca. If you are ever anywhere near, I highly recommend them. I've come to accept that having a full body slide (including a washer & dryer located on it) coupled with a very tall coach leads to a high center of gravity & less than ideal handling characteristics. Even recently came across a uTube video of the coach being driven by car magazine types. They described the driving characteristics as not designed by BMW and that you best keep both hands on the wheel!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
kemer wrote:
My unit is a 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 35G. It has the Ford F53 chassis. Am I reading that there is a front track/sway bar?
Yes you will have a front sway bar. Became a standard item several years back. As mentioned start with the low cost items first. Weight checked (with the coach loaded for an outing) followed by correct tire pressure and load balancing. Have the front end alignment, ride height and sway bar hardware checked. If you're still not happy then try a rear track bar.

Take the coach to a truck service center rather than RV service center. Use the people who focus in on the chassis and have the equipment/tools to correctly do the work. Save the RV service center for stuff above the floor.

Very good advice, and they will be on time with the work too. You have front and rear sway bars. Moving the sway bar end links to the inside hole will get rid of the marshmallow ride side to side. You will be able to drive with a lot more ease and confidence.
Wildmanbaker