cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnabego View vs Forest River Forester MBS

ChuckHM
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided on a 24 ft or so Class C. So far the only models that meet are requirements are the Mercedes Sprinter platform. We have found a comparable floor plan in both the Winnebago View and the Forester MBS. Of course the View is about $25,000 more than the Forester MBS.

One dealer of both brands tells us no real difference in quality, just that Winnebago has the name, and invests in research that the rest of the industry copies, so you are paying higher for both. A second dealer of both brands says Winnebago is definitely of higher build quality, will last longer, and will bring a higher percentage resale.

Appreciate any help you all can offer re. these two opposing comments.

P.S. Not wedded to the Mercedes, just the floor plan. There is one Forester on the gas platform, the new 2291S that has a comparable floor plan. However, it doesn't appear to be out to the dealers yet, and Forester isn't providing any interior photos.
13 REPLIES 13

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki, try this.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
profpat wrote:
I'm buying a Forester instead of the View or Navion since the 5 year down the road one sells for more scenario is a financial risk one should not take. They are virtually the same machine and to pay more with today's dollar in the hope and expectation that 60 months from now you will get more does not make financial sense.

a) I am not selling in 60 months

b) "Virtually the same machine" is a matter of opinion. I crawled around under and on top of FR and WGO RVs looking at the quality of engineering and build. I formed my own opinion.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

profpat
Explorer
Explorer
I'm buying a Forester instead of the View or Navion since the 5 year down the road one sells for more scenario is a financial risk one should not take. They are virtually the same machine and to pay more with today's dollar in the hope and expectation that 60 months from now you will get more does not make financial sense.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:
I was able to copy and print all the wiring, plumbing and individual parts list for our 2013, before we picked it up in April '13.
I've seen 2014 printouts online also...
No such luck for my 2011. The folks that service the RVs are irritated by it too from what the WGO support person told me. Were did you find a 12 volt wiring diagram? I don't see one for later years on the site.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

cfin1964
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both Winnebago and Now a 2015 Forest River Solera on the Sprinter Chassis. We have the dual slide and are happy with it. It is finished off nicely with LED lighting, a 42 inch front TV and a rear tv also. The selling point for us was the price. The MSRP is comparable to the View, but the sell price is about $15,000 different. It seemed to me that Winnebago pretty much fixes the price so I could not deal with them. (three different dealers). The diesel fuel mileage is so much better than our older gas model that it is still cheaper to drive than our 6 mpg (on a good day) gas Winnebago. Granted the diesel is more to maintain, but the warranty is also 100,000 miles or 5 years. Goes 12,000 miles between oil changes but I changed mine at 10,000. I have been to both factories and I was not disappointed with Forest River. Anyway, happy hunting.
cfin1964
2015 Forest River Solera 24R. Towing a 2014 Honda CR-V

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to copy and print all the wiring, plumbing and individual parts list for our 2013, before we picked it up in April '13.
I've seen 2014 printouts online also...
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
KristinU wrote:
As owners of an older Winnebago I can tell you that we really appreciate the information available on their website and the support you get if you call. To be able to get at the parts list and schematics and even the original brochure of our 2008 has been wonderful. We certainly didn't see documentation like this available in other brands when we were shopping (nor with our other campers).

Unfortunately, when the economy tanked WGO quit publishing schematics on line so there is a lack of them for later model RVs (at least for mine). The tech folks on the other end of the phone however are very helpful.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
As owners of an older Winnebago I can tell you that we really appreciate the information available on their website and the support you get if you call. To be able to get at the parts list and schematics and even the original brochure of our 2008 has been wonderful. We certainly didn't see documentation like this available in other brands when we were shopping (nor with our other campers).
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckHM wrote:

One dealer of both brands tells us no real difference in quality

When I was looking I looked under and around both brands very carefully. The build quality FR I looked at was significantly inferior to WGO. I looked at construction, wiring, plumbing, the roof, etc.

Open up cabinets, access hatches, under the cushions, etc. The first thing that really irritated me about the FR was the seatbelt holes under the dinette cushions looked like they had been cut with a knife and fork.....really....they can't use a cutting template? Not sure if it was just that rig, but other stuff didn't sit well with me either.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We got our View used and couldn't be happier with it. We are newbies, too: this is our first RV. Our cost was 1/2 of retail new. No real problems with it either. Floor plan suits us perfectly.

We have no experience with any of the others mentioned. We hope that whatever you get you have the times of your lives. Happy Trails.

If God didn't exist, it would have been necessary to invent Him. Voltair
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ChuckHM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks j-d. That was where I had come to. I know you can never make the difference up on delta mpg. Just didn't know if the Winnebago premium was worth it in design, fit, construction, longevity, etc.

However, resale is interesting. I was told by one of the dealers selling both Winnebago and Forest River that in five years you would recoup about 65% with Winnebago, and only 50% with Forest River. If the Winn. was $100k and the equivalent Forester $80, you would end up $5k ahead with the Winn. If you had financing, it would break even as the Forester would be about $5k less in interest over the five years.

Cheers,

Chuck

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it's Forester MBS 2401S on Mercedes vs. Forester 2291s on Ford or Chevy vs. Winnebago View 24J on Mercedes?
My pick of this group: 2291S on Chevy. Thicker walls, bigger bed, plenty of carrying and towing capacity, comfortable cab compared to Ford, better load ratings because this Ford is E350 and the Chevy is 4500, least expensive of the lot.
How much you gonna drive it? Few thousand a year? You'll never pay off the diesel difference. Lowest carrying/towing ratings of the lot.
Winnebago is a great outfit. But Forest River has really come up in popularity and customer satisfaction. EDIT: FR offers these models in their Sunseeker line also...
If these are the units you're interested in, don't pull the trigger till you see 2291s. I'm sure you're itchy...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago - every time if I'm buying a new one. Be certain to consider the Via by Winnebago. It's a Class A, albeit priced as a Class C, with a lot more floorspace inside on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis.